Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newspaper Article Re: $700k DesMoines World Cup
Quote | Reply
###

http://dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060331/NEWS08/603310355/1001

###
D.M. will host major triathlon in July 2007 Hy-Vee, other sponsors establish $700,000 purse for world cup event planned for downtown area
PATT JOHNSON
REGISTER STAFF WRITER

March 31, 2006

Des Moines will play host to a world-class triathlon event next year.

Hy-Vee Inc. plans to announce today that it will sponsor a world cup triathlon competition on July 17, 2007, making Des Moines one of only four U.S. cities to ever host such an event.

"When this is announced around the world, there will be top triathletes who will be putting it on their calendars," said Bill Burke, who has been hired to plan and direct the Des Moines race.

"Every major top athlete will want to come."

The event landed in Iowa in part because Hy-Vee and other sponsors will establish a $700,000 purse, the largest ever paid out for a world cup event, said Randy Edeker, vice president of marketing at the West Des Moines-based grocery store chain.

The Hy-Vee World Cup Triathlon will be sanctioned by the International Triathlon Union. The ITU is holding 15 races this year, in locations such as Madrid, Spain; Richards Bay, South Africa; Edmonton, Alberta; Hamburg, Germany; Cancun, Mexico; and New Plymouth, New Zealand.

There are no U.S. venues on the circuit this year. The only U.S. cities to previously host an ITU world cup triathlon are New York City, St. Petersburg, Fla., and Honolulu.

About 150 professional athletes — 75 men and 75 women — will compete in three events, a 1.5 kilometer swim in Gray's Lake, a 40 kilometer bike race in downtown Des Moines and a 10 kilometer run, also downtown, according to Edeker.

In addition, about 2,000 athletes will participate in an amateur event, Burke said. Those participants won't share in the $700,000, but will be eligible for smaller monetary prizes and gifts, he said.

The event is expected to draw about 30,000 spectators.

Elite athletes participating in the event will earn points that could help them qualify for the 2008 Summer Olympics.

Two American triathletes, Hunter Kemper and Susan Williams, a bronze medalist in the 2004 Olympics, were expected to be in Des Moines today to help promote the event.

Kemper, ranked eighth in the world among men, finished second last week in the ITU World Cup event in Australia.

Edeker said Hy-Vee became interested in sponsoring the event because of the company's commitment to health and fitness. Hy-Vee has expanded its organic foods sections in its stores, added dietitians at many locations to help customers with menu planning and is opening health clinics in several stores.

Triathlons "are a young, vibrant sport," Edeker said. "This is our hometown, and this event helps put the city in the limelight. It's great exposure."

The large prizes - $200,000 to the male and female winners - were needed to draw top competitors, Edeker said.

"To establish our event at the level we wanted, we had to have a large purse," he said. "To bring people in, that's what it was going to take."

The company also hosts the Hy-Vee Classic, a women's senior golf event, which is held in Johnston.
###

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Newspaper Article Re: $700k DesMoines World Cup [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting...that date puts them head-to-head with Lifetime Tri. ITU never did like the Lifetime race!
Quote Reply
Re: Newspaper Article Re: $700k DesMoines World Cup [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple more races like that and there will be really no questions left as to whether the talent is in short course or Ironman...
Quote Reply
Re: Newspaper Article Re: $700k DesMoines World Cup [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But Lifetime is draft free, correct? This is an ITU race so not the same race experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Newspaper Article Re: $700k DesMoines World Cup [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but many of the same athletes, and now they will have to choose which one to go to unless one race moves its date. Two huge prize purse races both in the Midwest on the same weekend? Seems like a funny coincidence. Let's see if Lifetime ups the ante. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My opinion? Hyvee will be spending 700K to attract 150 athletes. The estimated 2000 in AG probably would have signed up anyways just because it's just an inaugural large event in the midwest. If you really want to draw a large crowd, they should but 700K into the AG, with award money going at least 10 deep in each category. THAT would draw alot of people and would be better for the sport.

I'm actually sort of sick of there being no cash payouts at the normal races. You plunk down your escalating race fees and all you get is some piece of plastic or metal not fit for a recycling bin if you do well. If there is so much money in this sport, why doesn't the normal triathlete see any of it?

At least in the local cycling scene, there is a always a cash payout in just about EVERY category, and those races usually cost less that $25 bucks.

It's time to give the power back to the people!!! (rant)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that this might be the weekend before LifeTime! if not, I bet Lifetime changes it's date in 2007. If these races were back to back weekends, lots of short course athletes would be training for two events in July in 2007. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
putting this alongside lifetime should make for some tough decisions for athletes who would be considering racing in both events. i think the decision might come down to what the folks at lifetime do about the "equalizer" time, since it doesn't seem like they've got it right yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Newspaper Article Re: $700k DesMoines World Cup [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LTF has always been that same weekend in July I think. They are somewhat limited to when they can do it because it's part of a big festival in Minneapolis. It will really be interesting to see what the fallout is. B. Akradi is a very competitive guy and there is no doubt that he will be planning something to counter this, and will have something to announce at this year's race.
Quote Reply
Re: Newspaper Article Re: $700k DesMoines World Cup [calee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely seems like more than coincidence. But, this weekend always seems to be a busy one for triathlon. This season, I have five different midwest races on my calendar for the 7/15-7/16 weekend:

LTF
Muncie Endurathon
Heart of the Lakes
Iowa Games
Lake Geode Challenge

There might be more; these are just the ones I am thinking about racing. Obviously, I'm not going to do them all (I'm doing Endurasport Illinois half IM the weeekend before, so probably just a sprint from those above), but the point is that there are a lot of good races to choose from then.

To get off topic for a seconds, that's one of my biggest grumbles about the sport, in the Midwest at least -- the season is too damn short. Things don't really get going until June and die out rapidly by the end of August. Maybe earlier isn't much of an option b/c of water temperatures, but we could easily still be racing in September and still give the fall road races all the space they need.

mm
Quote Reply
Re: Newspaper Article Re: $700k DesMoines World Cup [Deus ex Machina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd hate to see prise money in age group tri. I think it has hurt cycling. Nothing like seeing the same guys do CAt1 races locally and Cat 3 in another part of the country. Or Cat1 35 year olds place in the top 3 in a crit then race the locals in the 35 masters category just to pick up $50. Or a guy on a $6000 screaming at an offoical after a race that they got the finish wrong an he was 10th not 11th and they are screwing him out of his $10.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Newspaper Article Re: $700k DesMoines World Cup [Deus ex Machina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you really want to draw a large crowd, they should but 700K into the AG, with award money going at least 10 deep in each category. THAT would draw alot of people and would be better for the sport.

I'm actually sort of sick of there being no cash payouts at the normal races. You plunk down your escalating race fees and all you get is some piece of plastic or metal not fit for a recycling bin if you do well. If there is so much money in this sport, why doesn't the normal triathlete see any of it?

The normal triathlete shouldn't see any money!!!! If you want cash, move up.......

Drives me NUTS when they pay cash to CAT 3, 4, 5 at road races. What's the incentive???? Guys are sandbagging back in Cat 3 who would be competitive in 2 or even 1. Just seems silly to provide a reason for folks to stay back.

Same should apply to triathlon. If you're fast, you get paid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
July 17, 2007 is a Tuesday (a typo I assume)

Lifetime is July 15, 2006

I wonder what the dates are of the festival in the twin cities in 2007?

I hope the plan is to have them on consecutive weekends. Then someone could race both. Since the cities are only about 4 hours from Des Moines it only makes sense. Back to back weekends are no big deal for a pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shocking!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will take place on June 17, 2007

Check out the official website: http://www.hy-veetriathlon.com/

----------

“You can't coach desire.” --Dathan Ritzenhein
http://xtreme4.com/ -- an extreme ride for extreme change: go green
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2006 Aquatennial is scheduled for July 13-24th. It's always held the third full week of July. The festival's founders picked that week b/c it's suppsedly the driest, warmest week of the year. As last years Heart of the Lakes Tri and LTF were like a billion degrees, I'd say they pegged it spot on.

I BELIEVE (and someone else can correct me), that LTF is always the first weekend of Aquatennial, and the Milk Carton races/Sandcastle competition are the last weekend.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Newspaper Article Re: $700k DesMoines World Cup [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few things here:

The date posted in the newspaper article is wrong. The race is June 17th, 2007, NOT July. The website is hy-veetriathlon.com.

For those wishing the 700k was for the age groups. Uhmmmm, guess what, that is why you are an age grouper. The race is giving away $40k in cash in prizes to age groupers - This is as much as USAT allows.

If you know Hy-Vee, you know they take things very seriously. This is going to be a VERY well run event.

Registration is open......
Quote Reply
Re: Newspaper Article Re: $700k DesMoines World Cup [jhalfpap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A few things here:

The date posted in the newspaper article is wrong. The race is June 17th, 2007, NOT July. The website is hy-veetriathlon.com.

For those wishing the 700k was for the age groups. Uhmmmm, guess what, that is why you are an age grouper. The race is giving away $40k in cash in prizes to age groupers - This is as much as USAT allows.

If you know Hy-Vee, you know they take things very seriously. This is going to be a VERY well run event.

Registration is open......

The Web site says $5,000 to the top AGers and masters, and $40,000 in gifts and prizes to the other AG award winners. Masters awards show quite a disincentive to finish second. I could see quite a logjam of racers milling about just before the finish line... :-)

1. $100.00 $100.00 2. $75.00 $75.00 3. $375.00 $375.00

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
LTF has always been that same weekend in July I think.

Not always. In 2003, it was held on August 2nd.

So what's happending with the Corner Brook ITU race? Does the Des Moines race replace it or is it changing dates? Edit: Never mind, saw the date correction.
Last edited by: gonzobob: Mar 31, 06 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was wondering! All the media and the TV say July!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are certainly not speaking for me.

AG's getting money stinks and brings out the worst of those type-A people we already have plenty of....

Turn Pro!!

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Re: Newspaper Article Re: $700k DesMoines World Cup [audentia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh, that explains it then. I know that yesterday, everyone here was saying June. June makes much more sense.

Thanks for the update!

mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"If you know Hy-Vee, you know they take things very seriously. This is going to be a VERY well run event. "

You're not kidding! Have you looked at their website yet? Fully operational 1.25 years out! Very, very nice.

Did you check out the course?! Already all lined up and everything. Awesome!

AND, did you see the special ITU pro course? 6 laps of bike, 4 laps of run, all in downtown! That will make it absolutely INCREDIBLE for spectating! Most tris I do are terrible for spectating -- watch the swim, and never see anyone again except at the T-area and finish line. With this setup, you'll be able to see the whole race unfold right in front of you.

AND, did you see how the pro races are going to be in the afternoon, AFTER the AG races? Double awesome! For once I can actually watch the pros race.

This is absolutely fantastic! Whoever is running this event has their shit together. I realize it is very far away, but I am very excited. A great coup for Des Moines also, I think, to be in the same series as cities like Hamburg and Madrid.

Great, great stuff!

mm
Quote Reply