Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ultrasound
Quote | Reply
I am getting ultrasound treatments on my sore AT. What exactly is this doing for me?

Re: Ultrasound [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In this case it is a mild analgesic, will tend to increase circulation to the area while ideally reducing inflammation. I have had good success with mild cases of tendinitis in my patients and myself. However, I have found results less marked on larger thicker tendons like the AT or areas like ITB insertions. The greatest results I see are more along the lines of myofascial strains that are closer to muscle belly or just above the tendon, especially paraspinally. Give it a go. I would also alternate ice and heat as 3xday(3x10min ice // 10min moist heat). That's morning noon and night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Technically, it is applying heat. A bit more of a direct method than applying heat to the skin surface.

Quote | Reply
Not to hijack your thread, but I have a related question.

Does anyone on the board administer their own ultrasound treatments? It would seem to save quite a bit of money (and driving time) to do it at home. Do the dangers out weigh the cost savings assuming you can get an ultrasound machine?

David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm skeptical that it does a whole lot. Like Dr Doom said it is a method to apply deep heat. Admittedly, haven't investigated the latest research on this topic but I have a feeling the only one benefitting is the practitioner charging for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had both ultrasound and electric stimulation. Both were good, but I personally liked the eletric stimulation when my gastroc acted up. They go deeper into the muscle I think. It worked for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me know how it goes. I too have a sore AT and am thinking of getting an ultrasound. Thanks
Quote Reply