Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Renn Disc Questions
Quote | Reply
I just bought a Renn disc and have a few questions. First problem is inflating the sucker....I've searched previous posts on this subject and the two main answers were the "crack pipe" which apparently takes two people to use and the Topeak Smarthead. Any updates or other suggestions? With either of these options, it seems like I'd have to cut off my existing pump nozzle to install these items. Is this correct? Does Topeak or anyone else make a pump with just the "smarthead" on it? The one I saw was a kit that you used to replace the existing hose on your pump. Also, what do you use during a race? Does a CO2 cartridge work?

Questions 2 & 3: What is the best way to attach a magnet to the disc -- two-sided tape? And finally, if you remove the Renn stickers, does it leave a residue? If so, what's the best way to remove it. (I know these have all been covered before but I couldn't find them when I searched previous posts). Thanks for the help.

On a side note, as a long-time lurker and infrequent poster, I must say this forum has been a great source of info for me. I bought the Renn disc based on what appeared to be unanimous opinions on this forum. I can't wait to ride it.
Quote Reply
Re: Renn Disc Questions [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best way to attach a magnet to a composite wheel is either a drop of superglue or epoxy. Get a rare-earth magenet (very small, very strong) from Radio Shack and use that. It will trip the speed sensor from much further away than a regular magnet.

Any sticker residue can safely be removed from an epoxy (what your disc has) surface using acetone. Put some on a rag and let it soak in to the residue. Then it should come off very easy. I personally prefer the citrusy Goo-Gone, which also works great for tubular glue. Goo-Gone smells much betters than acetone and won't get you high if you use it in a confined space.

I don't have a Renn, but my Blackburn pump head has always fit into the gap on Zipps, H3s, and lots of other tight spots. The Genuine Innovations Microflate is tiny, and that fits just about anywhere and is what I'd recommend for a race for any situation.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found I could move the valve stem out of the hole enough to get the inflator on it. My inflator has thin sides, so it works. My stem is 48 mm, which also helps.

I also bought a crack pipe for it. It's inlet is the same diameter as a stem, so it fits into my pump's nozzle. The other end, though, doesn't like to stay on the valve, so yeah two person operation - one to hold it on the stem and one to pump.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a cateye cadense sensor magnet ($5) that already had the adhesive on it. Kevin at Tribe Multisports had told me about this. It worked well for an OLY last weekend. I also found that I could push the crack pipe into my pump valve and push it onto my stem and it stayed pretty well. I was able to do both wheels by myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you get a crack pipe from teh local bike shop you can just put it in a stand pump where you normally put your valve stem. It fits in there, just kind of tight. No need to mutilate any pump.

It is easier with two people, but one person can do it if needed. Just make sure you push down on the pump in the middle of the handle or you can bend it.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: Renn Disc Questions [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help guys.

I also saw in one of the previous posts that Tai has some custom covers for the valve hole, so I need to contact him and order some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last season most of the time I inflated my tire with a crack pipe and a CO2 inflater.

You can get the unthreaded ones for 50 cents a piece at a paintball store

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I inflate my Renn disc (and Hed3) with a crack pipe and a portable electric (battery) operated tire pump. I had to make an adapter for the electric pump as I didn't want to cut off the standard Schader valve. Cost was about $70. Works great alone but, of course, you can't take it out on the race course. I think you can find one by Googling 'electric tire pump.'

Azby
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for inflating the tire I screw on a valve extender and then just pump it up like any other tire.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply