Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A bitter pill ... NOT!
Quote | Reply
If you read my post yesterday headed, "A bitter pill ..." you know I said I was going to the doc today anticipating a life-long sentence to taking a statin for cholestrol ... and I had high anxiety over it.

I've been seeing the doc and having regular blood work for about 3 months now. We had a huge battery of tests done in mid-January. My numbers were hovering around 242. I normally eat quite well, but it had just been the holidays and all. My numbers were awful. The doc said there wasn't going to be anything I could do about it without statins. I convinced him to let me try. He let six weeks go by and during that six weeks, I was extremely disciplined ... but nothing beyond what I think I can continue to do. I saw him 2 weeks ago to have blood drawn again. He said, "I'll see you in two weeks and you'll be going on a statin then ... or I'll be sending you to a cardiologist who I'm sure will be able to convince you."

Once before I went on the diet I'm living on now and I took my cholestrol from 242 down as low as 176. I reached into the 190s in only six weeks. I told the doc about this, but because of my full lipid profile and the things he was seeing, he said, "you're not gonna be able to do that now." I said, "wanna bet?" He said, "I won't bet with you 'cuz you're gonna lose."

To get to the point, I did NOT leave the doc's office today with a prescription for a statin. My cholestrol was 191. I dropped 51 points in six weeks! We'll test again in two months, but given that I have very good (slightly low) blood pressure and excellent EKG and stress test results, he says he's not gonna put my on a statin.

I'm really happy. I've just never liked the idea of taking medicines on a daily basis. Maybe it's irrational. Maybe it's not. But I'm happy I dodged this little bullet.

Anyway, some folks from the earlier thread wanted to know how things turned out. There it is! I feel like I just won a race! (I get excited easily.)

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: A bitter pill ... NOT! [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two thumbs up. Great story from another member of the 50+ club.

Just remember not to let your guard down. This is something you want to stay on top of for awhile.
Quote Reply
Re: A bitter pill ... NOT! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm committed to a life of eating twigs, dirt, leaves and fish. Steaks, pizza, blue cheese dressing, butter ... those are things other people eat. Not me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your success. Could you occasionally dip a twip in bleu cheese dressing?
Quote Reply
Re: A bitter pill ... NOT! [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
way to go!!!!!

Now we need D-tails....De-tails

east coast Carlos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's good news. Dinner is on me.

Re: A bitter pill ... NOT! [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch. That's cruel.:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really happy. I've just never liked the idea of taking medicines on a daily basis. Maybe it's irrational. Maybe it's not. But I'm happy I dodged this little bullet.

I'm in the same boat. No pill is 100% perfect, there is always some side effect, or two. I also have an irrational belief that starting one medication routinely leads to requiring other meds to control the side effects. My parents are on an amazing cocktail that is mind boggling. And they aren't ones to take anything and everything. People did't use to have to take all those pills to stay alive. I hope to avoid that route.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for being the prick here, but it just seems that you avoided the inevitable for another short time, making it more difficult in the future to go on medication. Don't shoot the messenger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats! i wish more patients would think your way. Making lifestyle changes is always the greatest thing to try first IMO. I see so many patients with "muscles pain" that have issues because of side effects. make sure to keep it checked though!
Quote Reply
Re: A bitter pill ... NOT! [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Sorry for being the prick here, but it just seems that you avoided the inevitable for another short time, making it more difficult in the future to go on medication. Don't shoot the messenger. "

Huh? Well, I understand the first part of the first sentence ... and I understand "don't shoot the prick."

We all merely delay the inevitable every day we live.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SAC

Quote | Reply
Your reply validates what I thought.
Quote Reply
Well the problem is.... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They keep changing the numbers. In the last twenty years the magic number is below 225, then 210, then 299, now it is south of 150. Hell they they are going we will all be on Statins to obtain a cholestol less than zero.
Quote Reply
Re: Well the problem is.... [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"They keep changing the numbers. In the last twenty years the magic number is below 225, then 210, then 299, now it is south of 150. Hell the way they are going we will all be on Statins to obtain a cholestol less than zero."

We all know who "they" are, don't we? That's part of the reason I've had such a problem with the idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Well the problem is.... [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on avoiding the meds, even if it is a delay - we shd all only use meds when they are necessary! Here's to hoping you remain statin-free for a long time!

With regard to the ever-lowering numbers, that's absolutely true - but based on ever-increasing data that show that cardiovascular risk is a continuous function, and lowest possible exposure to risk factors (lipid abnormalities, high blood pressure, smoking etc) is best. Thanks for updating us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry for being the prick here, but it just seems that you avoided the inevitable for another short time, making it more difficult in the future to go on medication. Don't shoot the messenger.

Yep, you're definitely being a prick. Just about everyone in my family has heart disease. Some families have a family doctor, but we have a "family cardiologist" and a "family heart surgeon." (Both doctors are at the Cleveland Clinic.) I've seen people make lifestyle modifications and keep their cholesterol down for a long time, so it can be done.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"I'm committed to a life of eating twigs, dirt, leaves and fish. Steaks, pizza, blue cheese dressing, butter ... those are things other people eat. Not me." good for you! one half of my family is genetically lucky and has low cholesterol. mine is even lower than the rest of them b/c i eat a lot of twigs dirt and leaves. here's to twigs dirt and leaves (and fish)!
Last edited by: PatchesMcHooley: Mar 31, 06 7:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply] making it more difficult in the future to go on medication..[/reply]

why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Six months ago I went for my physical and my cholesterol came back at 240, with my bad cholesterol at 169. My problem is genetics and too much cheese. No one eats cleaner than I do. My doctor,also a triathlete suggested that I switch to skim cheese and also to eat oatmeal everyday and be re-tested in six months. He wasn't worried about the 240 reading, just the bad reading at 169. Well I went back yesterday for my test results and by just making a few changes, listed above, my bad cholesterol is now at 112 and my total is at 160. You can't go wrong by adding something as oatmeal to your diet. If my cholesterol hadn't come down , my doc was going to put me on a product called Zetia. Glad everything turned out okay. Imagine what your numbers would have looked like if you weren't and athlete. Best wishes.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hooray !
good news. Enjoy those forest floor sweepings.. ;-)

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: A bitter pill ... NOT! [KonaDream] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats KonaDream! It feels great, doesn't it?

I guess I should have said that I eat twigs, grass, dirt, fish and oatmeal ... lots of oatmeal. I guess the stuff really works!

I've also learned that a little olive oil and a pinch of celtic sea salt makes a very nice facsimile for butter, without the consequences. I don't think I'd be handling this too well were it not for olive oil. A little of that and sea salt or minced garlic or pepper and you can make even dirt taste pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right about the olive oil. I put that on all my salads and also coat my chicken breasts and turkey when I bake them. Hot oatmeal with cinnamon in the morning hits the spot...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great for making garlic toast. oil, garlic, brush on bread, top with a little parmeasan. mmmmmmmm