Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bikesport NEW STORE??? [jedi_tri_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The most popular bike shop among triathletes closed about 1-1.5 mo ago. There are a handful of small bike shops. And a lot of non-trustworthy business people.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikesport NEW STORE??? [Swim Fast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is like the ST version of the telephone game.

A deer was born in Michigan, Tom is building a new store, and he's getting his dimples laminated.

That's what I heard........

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Last edited by: tryemdad: Mar 31, 06 5:47
Quote Reply
Re: Bikesport NEW STORE??? [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, a new Bikesport store...possibly moving into newer digs w/ greater visibility across the street? The section of Michigan Ave across the street from Bikesport is growing like crazy!

Bikesport dominates!
Last edited by: wdfaRacing: Mar 31, 06 6:58
Quote Reply
Re: Bikesport NEW STORE??? [wdfaRacing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are pretty good at figuring things out.

Now, bare in mind, this "hypothetical" move everybody is theorizing about- it is worth saying a few things if such a thing were to transpire in the next 30 days:
  • We need more room, about three times as much to be exact. It would also be nice to rearrange our floor plan so the "flow" of the merchandising, displays, lighting and service areas were better. right now our fitting area is at the front of the store, it needs to be a little more out of the traffic flow toward the rear (or at least, the entrance in the rear, the fitting toward the front on the main thouroughfare- Michigan Ave.)
  • It would be nice to be at a major intersection within a block of our current location. That would imporve our visibility.
  • It would be nice to be on a corner, at a very busy traffic light. Literally thousands of people would be stuck in front of our showroom every day as they waited for the light to change.
  • It would be nice to have our own, private, parking lot with about 14 spaces.
  • It would be nice to have two stories, with a small service area on the main floor, and then a much larger service area on the upper floor.
  • A nice office, custom made, with windows looking out onto the sales floor.
  • A unique and unified "industrial" motif to the inside of the building, including an industrial grade, non-skid impregnated epoxy shop floor like you see in Formula 1 team garages.
  • Much more room for apparel merchandising and display with a nice changing room.
  • A much larger and more comfortable fitting area.
  • Super cheap rent.
  • Nice neighbors in a similar (complimentary) business.
  • Fun video in the store.
  • Luxurious surrounding for our shop guys in their new shop area.

A few things we'll never have at a (hypothetical) new location are:
  • We won't be a superstore, "studio" or some other pretentious (for us at least) thing. We're a road and triathlon bike store.
  • We won't have an endless, pool, full physio lab, 20 Computrainers or any of that stuff. We're small now, and always will be small.
  • We'll never have more than one location.
  • We'll always be within 10 blocks of our house.

That's about it. More latter.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bikesport NEW STORE??? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom - it sounds like you need good legal representation for a lease/purchase. I do work for bikes . . . and I always need a new one ; )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

"Hypothetically" your new "Hypothetical" store sounds great and very fitting with the personality and philosophy of your current store. I can't wait to "Hypothetically" visit you at the "Hypothetical" new location.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the former owner of a running shoe store I was with you until you said, "Super cheap rent" then I began to laugh hysterically. I don't know Michigan but I know a lil' about retailing and it seems that cheap rent is diametrically opposed to the other items on your wish list.

But you're living the dream so you got that goin' for you. As always, good luck Tomas.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Re: Bikesport NEW STORE??? [bigsky17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hypothetically, it's f*&^%ing sweet.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Didn't realize my initial post of this topic would create such a stir... Oh well, it's better then people not wanting to talk about Bikesport.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikesport NEW STORE??? [Swim Fast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. It was only a matter of time before this cat got out of the bag.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next