Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power Tap comparisons [Jon499] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On average i see the torque tubes 'going' about once every 3 to 4 years, on about 500 to 600 hours per year use. Once they go, it's obvious they need recalibrating as they'll say something daft, such as you're riding steady at 1500 W

ric

http://www.cyclecoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap comparisons [Bitey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Yes, unless you have unlimited time and a lot of patience, the SRM is the only powermeter that is very likely to be troublefree. It's the only accurate and reliable powermeter out there. "

That's nonsense - all of it.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap comparisons [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
New bike Rich? Does that mean the P3 is now relegated?

P3C :-) The build should be completed today and I'm taking it up to WF this weekend. I will miss the Pimp Daddy Beach Cruiser but it's time has come.

------------

Rich Strauss
Endurance Nation Ironman 2013 and 2014 World Champion TriClub, Div I
Create a FREE 7-day trial membership
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap comparisons [Rich Strauss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why I haven't gotten my invoice for my new wheel. We talked about one for me, but I need to think about it. Would it help me? I am getting faster actually.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap comparisons [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wax on, wax off - Rich Strauss is the new Ergomo king, ask him.

He's even replacing an SRM w/ one (or perhaps going to run them both. Geek ;-)

Hi,

I've had an SRM Pro on my tri bike since '03 and had a PT regular and Pro on my road bike, since '02. I've also put several dozen athletes into Powertaps through Sawiris. I've been using the Ergomo Pro now for about 6 weeks and have recently become an Ergomo dealer. Here are my thoughts on the whole which meter gig, based on a lot of experience training, racing, and coaching with all the systems.

PT is a hub that measures power. You build a wheel around it. A sensor mounted on the seat stay picks up the signal from the hub. I feel this sensor has a good placement range, meaning you don't have to keep it within milimeters of a specific position to maintain signal reception. There is an additional cadence sensor and magnet, just like any other computer system. The monitor is very intuitive and easy to use, I feel. I never really rode mine in the rain so can't speak directly to the moisture issues. I've heard stuff all over the map from my athletes. My PT's also spent several weeks at Graber having strain guages, etc repaired or replaced.

SRM is a crank and replaces your cranks. You can run any wheelset with it. Two sensors, one mounted next to the crank, one on the chainstay to pick up a wheel magnet, giving you speed. Both the crank and speed sensors can be very finicky with placement. Mounting also becomes a little challenging with non-standard frame tubing. My crank sensor is epoxyed into my P3 and I cleared Home Depot out of large O-rings before I found a mounting option that worked with my Calfee. My SRM Pro has been absolutely bombproof since '03. However, for $2700 (now $3200+?) it should be bombproof. I had the monitor battery replaced in '04, still have the original batteries in the crank. The monitor is very sophisticated and mostly intuitive. The Set button, used to mark intervals on the fly with one button push is very slick, something I wish the PT and Ergomo had. With these systems you have to navigate to a special interval mode and then record the interval from there. SRM is simpler.

The software for each system above is largely irrelevant, as I highly recommend you use CyclingPeaks. More on this below. I only use my SRM software to download the file from the monitor, change the monitor settings, etc. All PT monitor settings are configured on the monitor itself. FYI, if you have an SRM, highly recommend you download your data using SRM software, not CyclingPeaks. This allows you to retain the properties of the SRM file: slope, zero offset, wheel size, etc, so you can change them if you need to in the future.

All 3 systems, PT, SRM, Ergomo, use a serial port to download the data. So you'll need to pick up a USB to serial port adapter if you dont' have a serial port. This additional interface between the monitor and download software can sometimes create issues with the software recognizing the comm port, etc. I use a Belkin adapter always plug it into the same USB port. No issues.

The Ergomo replaces your bottom bracket. It's hardwired, meaning you have two wires running directly out of the BB. One goes back about 8 inches and mounts on the chainstay, giving you a speed sensor (identical to the SRM speed sensor). The other, thicker wire runs up the downtube to your bars and plugs into the monitor. I really dig this hardwired feature, especially with the power pickup, as I don't have to worry about knocking a sensor out 2mm when washing the bike or changing a tire, losing the power pickup. The speed pick up as finicky like the SRM sensor. I'll find some kind of super magnet for my wheel, one that also changes lights at intersections.

The monitor displays all the data of both the PT and SRM. Actually, doesn't do training zone summaries like the SRM but I never used this SRM feature anyway so I don't miss it. It adds two additional screens to the SRM: altitude (current, gain, and grade) and Pro Power. I haven't really messed around the altitude stuff yet, ran it side by side with a GPS, etc. The Pro Power screen displays TSS, IF and Pnorm for the ride, as well as current watts. More on this feature later. The monitor has an Interval Mode that displays current and average watts, cadence and HR. Very cool when doing intervals to have current and avg watts staring at you. No speed though, which would be nice. But again, you have to navigate to a special mode to record intervals. I'd really like a third button I could simply hit at the bottom of a hill, the start of an interval, etc.

The software you use to download data from and configure the monitor is ErgoRacer. This is simply re-badged CyclingPeaks with two additional icons added to the tool bar, for downloading and configuring the monitor. And this is where we get to the heart of why I'm now firmly in the Ergomo camp as a training, racing and coaching tool:

My most successful power training athletes have made an intellectual investment in learning to train and race with power. They are active partners with me in tracking IF, TSS, Pnorm, VI, charting the data, and just learning how to use the tool. The Ergomo's integration with CyclingPeaks brings the athlete several steps closer to participating in the process of understanding how to train and race with power. Do not underestimate this. For every 10 PM's out there, probably only 5 or 6 athletes actually download the data into "a" software program. 2 of these will use CyclingPeaks, but only 1 in 10 will have a good understanding of how to use the information. Allen and Coggan's book has done a great job of improving these numbers and I'm now including it with every Ergomo purchase.

However, if you'd rather JFT, can't be bothered to download and analyze data, troubleshoot the odd downloading or comm port issue, are not sure how to find a file in Windows or just don't have 2nd grade level computer skills, it's likely that NO powermeter is a good investment for you. You simply have to do some mental work to get the ROI on any meter.

Sure, I can train with SRM and PT, download the data into CyclingPeaks and track all of my stuff. This is where the Pro Power screen comes in. Again, this screen gives you cummulative TSS, IF and Pnorm for the ride, in real time. With 45' to go in my Saturday ride I know I'm at TSS 200, my goal is 230. My Pnorm is 217 and my IF for the ride is .78. Moreover, my IF for the first 90', when I was hammering solo, was .88, then I watched it scroll down to .79 while I was riding with my tri club. On Vandegrift at CaliHalf I could see I was at 236 Pnorm and .85 IF, EXACTLY on target for my race pacing. These tools have simply got me more jazzed up about paying attention to my own training. I'm tracking my workup for WF against what I did last year to produce a win in 35-39, with TSS and IF goals for each workout and each training week. I'm communicating this enthusiasm to my own athletes and getting them jazzed as well.

More notes:
  • Ergomo monitor does everything the PT and SRM does, plus adding altitude and Pro Power screens. I feel this justifies the price bump from the PT and I can no longer justify the price of the SRM. Think about it: how much better does something have to be to justify a 100%+ markup?
  • You can use any wheelset with SRM and Ergomo. Ergomo is much cheaper though, point for Ergomo.
  • With the Powertap you are buying a wheel system, requiring decisions about hubs, spokes, spoke count, hoop, etc. Many athletes want "a" training wheel and "a" race wheel. I think this is bullshit, I'm not a big wheel guy, but many of you like your toys. Anyway, for years I've recommended picking up a quality training wheel and then tossing a wheelcover on it for racing. If you train with power and then race a non-power wheel, you're an idiot. Doesn't happen in my shop. Still, all of this involves choices, decisions, and compromises (for some people). Not so with Ergomo: remove cranks, unscrew your BB, insert Ergomo, replace cranks, zip tie the wires, bam, done.
  • Two bikes: for about the price of an SRM you can get an Ergomo Pro system and a spare BB for your second bike. The Ergomo monitor stores the configurations of 99 bikes. You simply call your tri bike Bike 1, road is Bike 2, and just tell it which bike it's on. The two bike setup is cheaper with the PT, assuming you have the same wheel size on both bikes. You just add a harness (about $70) to the second bike and swap the wheel around. Pain in the ass if one bike is 9sp and other 10sp, as you have to swap cassettes. If you want SRM's on two bikes, you're looking at about $5k.
  • The Ergomo supports firmware updates, SRM and PT do not. One big factor I have in my corner is a good relationship with the CyclingPeaks programer. He beta-tests all of this stuff and works closely with the Ergomo guys as well. He raves about how committed they are to improving quality, fixing bugs, etc.

Basically, the Ergomo has a lot of cool features that more than make up the price difference with the PT. And after being completely satisified with my SRM Pro for 3yrs, I simply can't justify the huge price markup over the Ergomo.

Availability
Ergomo is currently making square taper and Octalink (think Shimano 9spd) BB's, in English or Italian thread, 102 or 110mm. Basically, if you're not riding a bike made in Italy, you are English thread.

Isis drive is on the way, in about a month, I think.

Not compatible with triple crank systems. Some mtn bike coaches and I are pushing them to produce mtn bike compatible BB's.

Currently not compatible with DA/Ultegra 10 style crank systems. They are working on it but no promised delivery date yet.

So if you are running Shimano 9spd, you just need the Octalink BB and can use your current crankset. If you have DA/Ultegra 10, you need a square taper Ergomo BB and I recommend picking up the Ergomo cranks. These are re-badged FSA carbon cranks, square taper, 170, 172.5, 175mm in 53/39 and 50/34 (compact crank). I have this set up on my tri bike: square taper + Ergomo Cranks. I'm putting an Octalink BB on the Calfee so I can run the Ergomo side by side with SRM Pro, for comparison, testing, shits and giggles. I plan to race WF with an Ergomo and PT Pro. It's my wedding day, Joanne gets to dress up, so do I.

If you're confused by the permutations above, just contact me and we'll work it out. I'm becoming very chummy with the distributor as I ask my own questions.

"Ergomo only measures power with the left leg." This is true. Unless you have a big length discrepancy this is not an issue. PT loses some watts to drive train friction, word on the street is that SRM amatuer isn't as accurate as the PT, SRM needs to be recalibrated every year or so, is sensitive to temperature, blah, blah, blah. My point is that they all have their "issues." What's important is that 250w on Tuesday is 250w on Thursday.

One issue related issue I've had is the friction(?) involved with moving from one system to another. I am extremely dialed into my watts on the SRM. For whatever reason, my Ergomo reads about 20-30 watts lower than my SRM. I'm a power geek and even a difference of only 5-10w would bug me. For this reason, if you have a Powertap and are considering switching to an Ergomo, I'd recommend holding onto the PT until you pick up the Ergomo. Then ride a trainer with both and manipulate the settings on the Ergomo until E-watts closely match PT watts. I will do this process my myself next week and will share what I find. This will make the conversion process much easier, I feel. If you've never trained with power before, the above is a non-issue. What's important is that as Ergomo is made aware of problems and issues, they can publish firmware updates to fix them.

This is turned into a good FAQ that I'll add to my other notes and publish on my site soon.

Pricing and other information: http://www.cruciblefitness.com/power/index.htm

If you're a tri coach and are interested in working with me to provide Ergomo's to your athletes, contact me.

--------------------

Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap comparisons [jackiey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That's why I haven't gotten my invoice for my new wheel. We talked about one for me, but I need to think about it. Would it help me? I am getting faster actually.

Jackie, he's doing the build in his time, not yours. He's just helping me out.

Read my thoughts above regarding the investment required by the athlete. I can not stress this enough. There are lots of athletes out there riding around with nothing more than $$$$ cycling computers. If you're committed to learning how to use the tool then it is a good investment and will help you.

-------------------

Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice post but a few mistakes...

1) You can mark intervals on the fly on the PT Pro (or SL) by just pressing the two buttons together. Not quite as good as the SRM but not bad. You certainly don't need to navigate to a special interval mode

2) Power Taps now come with a 'USB' downloader (actually it's the serial downloader that's been converted to USB)

3) You can use any wheels with an SRM or Ergomo, but you can't use any chainset with these (especially Ergomo and Dura Ace/Ultegra). (i know you mention this later)

4) PT has firmware updates (again on Pro and SL). if by firmware you mean computer updates

5) The left leg issue. I used to have an original Ergomo. It never matched up to my SRM (calibrated) or PT, which were always very similar (2% different). The Ergomo was about 30 W out on the trainer, and about a 100 W out on the road. I'd been cycling for 20 years (at the time i had the Ergomo), and had previously been a 1st cat. I don't know if i have a left/right leg discrepancy or whether it was a faulty Ergomo. I don't know if the issue was just for me or others. However, left/right dominance can vary on a daily basis adding to confusion with power numbers. So 250 W may not be 250 W on Tuesday and Thursday

6) So what if PT loses power to drive train friction? If you're using a power meter to model performance you'd want to know what ends up at the back wheel driving the bike forward. It's about a 6 W (constant) difference between SRM and PT

7) If your Ergomo is reading incorrectly (several people are reporting this on topica wattage) and you don't have a PT or SRM to compare it to, it can be an issue. For e.g., with power profiling. And why pay for something that's inaccurate. I don't recall that you can calibrate the Ergomo (i don't mean changing the offset when you run it with a PT). At least with the SRMs that can come poorly calibrated you can correct these yourself with some known masses and Excel

Ric

http://www.cyclecoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was only kidding. He told me 2 weeks. But I have run all the articles on a powertap and have been talking with a young pro on this site. Very nice kid. Rappstar? He actually placed 5th at Timberman last year to Chris Legh, Lovato, Marcel Vivifan. I have been in tris since 1988 and plan to keep doing them. I have am very disciplined. I have been taking a class from a Cat 1 racer for a year now and have seen improvement. Your last clinic has helped alot too. Front quadrant swimming!!
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap comparisons [Ric_Stern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nice post but a few mistakes...

1) You can mark intervals on the fly on the PT Pro (or SL) by just pressing the two buttons together. Not quite as good as the SRM but not bad. You certainly don't need to navigate to a special interval mode

2) Power Taps now come with a 'USB' downloader (actually it's the serial downloader that's been converted to USB)

3) You can use any wheels with an SRM or Ergomo, but you can't use any chainset with these (especially Ergomo and Dura Ace/Ultegra). (i know you mention this later)

4) PT has firmware updates (again on Pro and SL). if by firmware you mean computer updates

5) The left leg issue. I used to have an original Ergomo. It never matched up to my SRM (calibrated) or PT, which were always very similar (2% different). The Ergomo was about 30 W out on the trainer, and about a 100 W out on the road. I'd been cycling for 20 years (at the time i had the Ergomo), and had previously been a 1st cat. I don't know if i have a left/right leg discrepancy or whether it was a faulty Ergomo. I don't know if the issue was just for me or others. However, left/right dominance can vary on a daily basis adding to confusion with power numbers. So 250 W may not be 250 W on Tuesday and Thursday

6) So what if PT loses power to drive train friction? If you're using a power meter to model performance you'd want to know what ends up at the back wheel driving the bike forward. It's about a 6 W (constant) difference between SRM and PT

7) If your Ergomo is reading incorrectly (several people are reporting this on topica wattage) and you don't have a PT or SRM to compare it to, it can be an issue. For e.g., with power profiling. And why pay for something that's inaccurate. I don't recall that you can calibrate the Ergomo (i don't mean changing the offset when you run it with a PT). At least with the SRMs that can come poorly calibrated you can correct these yourself with some known masses and Excel

Ric

Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the hell?! My post didn't take. Don't have time now to retype it. In summary, I'll get the answers to your techical questions regarding accuracy and calibration and host them on my site.

----------

Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Re: Power Tap comparisons [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It makes no difference, becasue you're slow as hell. But then again, its always been about the bling anyway...
Quote Reply

Prev Next