Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

post laser surgery..dry eyes..sunglasses
Quote | Reply
Hello Slowtwitch Nation,

Had Lasik last year...absolutely amazing...20/10 and all that.

Problem though is the excessive dryness that happens when I race..specifically cycling. The wind is just too much and my eyes are dry and sore the rest of the day. I've done the prerace eye drops and they evaporate, so I'm looking for sunglasses with really good eye coverage.

All suggestions are appreciated,

MLT

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Quote Reply
Re: post laser surgery..dry eyes..sunglasses [Mid Life Trisis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rudy Project Ekynox (sp). I had the surgery 2 years ago. They work great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MLT,

Yeah, LASIK is notorious for dry eye post-op. It may go away with time, but you may be stuck with it. A couple of things you might want to consider to help you out:

1. Sunglasses with a good wrap are essential to keep the wind out. Oakley, Adidas, Rudy, Bolle, etc. whatever style performs best for you.

2. What is you intake of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids? Increasing this to 2000 mg / day can really help improve the chemistry of your tears by adding to the outer, oily layer of the tear film and, therefore, slow down the evaporation rate. Be patient with this one as it may take a couple of months to notice an improvement.

3. Have you considered getting "plugged"? Plugs can be inserted into your puncta (the drainage holes in your eyelids) which will prevent the tears from draining away. This is usually very helpful.

4. Try a thicker, more viscous eyedrop and use them all the time, not just when riding.

Try these things and let me know if you have more questions.

robert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you posed the question. I had Lasik 8 months ago and have a similar problem. I wear Oakleys so I get some wrap protection, but I have also found that I have to use the lubricating drops 4 or more times a day. But I'm here in Phoenix, where it's pretty dry.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As stated , any of the wrap sunglasses will help. The omega supplement is a good idea, but Thera-tears produces a combination supplement that contains the omegas plus flaxseed oil. The flaxseed oil is a big addition. Systane is a good artificial tear for post-lasik, it's viscosity level is higher that a normal tear but not as high as a gel.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: post laser surgery..dry eyes..sunglasses [lowcountry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had dry eyes for about six or nine months following lasik. I found it to be worst when snowboarding (not surprising, as cold weather = low ambient humidity), but tough when biking. Chlorine seemed to dry the eyes out significantly, and fatigue was also a precipitant. I didn't find much success with increase in omega-3s or other fatty acids, but found using pretty viscous drops helped.

Then, it went away - over the space of a couple of weeks. Resolution of the dry eyes was simultaneous with resolution of the "halo" that I was seeing with headlights at night (another common side effect).
Quote Reply