Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

six weeks to gct, only 5 pros???
Quote | Reply
I hate to even think it, but is the Gulf Coast 1/2 IM dying? Only six weeks to race day, and there are only five pros registered, and nearly 500 slots overall still open. The first year I did this race, it closed out by mid-February. I don't think it sold out at all last year. 1300+ entrants is certainly nothing to sneeze at, but there are currently three 1/2 IMs in a fairly small region (Macon, PCB, and Orlando) within a three week timespan. Can they all survive?

--
fork DOWN
times DOWN
woo - jackmott
Quote Reply
Re: six weeks to gct, only 5 pros??? [johnny law] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard great things about GCT, and was gonna do it this year, but exams kinda got in the way. Hopefully it will stay alive and I can race it next year.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know the female winner from a few years ago and I believe first prize was 1,500$?

Good cash, but if you're traveling, its not much of a take home for a pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last year i was considering the race and e-mailed the rd to find out if there was any pro prize money. never got a response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the one thing that impressed me with the latest usat magazine is the number of halfs that have sprung up recently....it seems that there are 3x the choices in any region compared to ony a few years ago. here in the northeast the trek was always hours dirve to eagleman, but now there are 4-5 much closer to home...i think we are reaching a saturation point in events, inclduing the number of olys that are around...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was all about the age-groupers? A race with 1300 entrants is hardly dying... Or maybe it is?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's too bad...it's a GREAT race!

I was planning on racing Gulf Coast until the hammer was dropped regarding qualifiers (CDA). That's too bad, I was looking forward to another year. Isn't Shelly B the race director? I'd be pissed that Ben is taking money out of her pocket....
Quote Reply
Re: six weeks to gct, only 5 pros??? [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a weird situation, it wasn't published (or I didn't see it) on the website, but she contacted them and they said the prize was $1500.

It was '04 so maybe things have changed.

Strange though, wouldn't you want to advertise cash?
Quote Reply
Re: six weeks to gct, only 5 pros??? [SlayerHatebreed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any prize money this year?

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: six weeks to gct, only 5 pros??? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Is there any prize money this year?[/reply]

There is $5000 in prize money at the Waterfront Triathlon in Chattanooga.
:-)
As for Gulfcoast it has had no cash purse in a few years but is a great race and very well organized.

Herbert

Litespeed / Quintana Roo
Quote Reply
Re: six weeks to gct, only 5 pros??? [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I did the race a few years ago there were about 1700 finishers, so probably over 200 registered. That big a drop in entrants is definitely "dying". It's not surprising though, considering the proximity in time and location of Florida 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: six weeks to gct, only 5 pros??? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there WAS pro prize money last year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GC is a great race I did it last year, and I'm doing it again this year. My team has a large group that is heading over to race and support.
Quote Reply
Re: six weeks to gct, only 5 pros??? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gulf coast has had prize money the last 2 years. $1500 for the winner. top 5 has cash. something like

1-1500 2- 750 3-500 4-300 5-200 not much but good race, not as fast as everyone thinks cuz its hot as hell that time of year there and the gulf can be choppy and they never cancel the swim even with big waves crashing. john
Quote Reply