Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

best triathlon book
Quote | Reply
I am a college runner who will be graduating this spring. I am looking into tranistioning into Triathlons this summer. I have a very strong background in running, but know little about triathlons. Thus, can some give me the best book for a triathlete who wants to take the sport seriously. Basically, I am looking for the Bible of triathlons. something like the "lore of running" for Triathletes.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon book [jrcentel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You practically named it yourself in your post - Triathlete's Training Bible by Joe Friel. It is rather involved, in the sense that there is a lot to learn and put together, but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand it. Just take your time reading through it and read it well before the start of your training season.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon book [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's impossible to go wrong with anything that has Joe Friel's name on it. He's the man and even though his "Bible" is years old, it is still the book to have. Some good supplements to that book (from a guy who owns almost every tri book published): Going Long. (I think Gordo and Joe Friel co-wrote this one) and Ironman Training, Start to Finish. Don't be put off by the fact that both deal with Ironman-length events. They are chock full of solid advice that is applicable to any distance.
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon book [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was lucky enough to go to a training camp with Joe Friel and have him explain in detail all the concepts. That and he fixed my run form......kj

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlete's Edge by Marc Evans

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon book [subminuteman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "Bible" has been updated in the last year or so. Joe mentioned that the chapter on weight training was one of the bigger changes.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed Brad Kearns' Breakthrough Triathlon Training. Having read quite a few others and, quite honestly, been bored sh*tless after the scientific aspect of training, I was very pleased to pick up a book which is a cracking good read, very motivational and encourages a holistic and lower-stress approach to competing in a way which adds value to your life, not overwhelms it.
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon book [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have that book and read it. I don't know if it was me or the mood I was in but found it hard to read. Not that it was all that complex just that it seemed "Scattered", not put together well I guess.

Again could have been me.

I had a much easier time with both Triathlete's Training Bible and Going Long. Even The Lore of Running which was far more complex of read I found easier to follow.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can, get your hands on "Iron Will" by Mike Plant. It is not a training manual, but it will get you inside the heads of many of the athletes that paved the way for us now.

To understand how they trained and raced could be incredibly beneficial, simply in terms of tenacity and loving the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon book [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll agree with that...even a bit confusing. But after taking some time to go through it, he has a really complete program. I will agree that both the Training Bible and Going Long are much easier to read and follow.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about trying "Power to Perform" by John Ackland of New Zealand

I have a copy here at my desk. Can ya see it? :-)

Published by Reed Publishing ISBN 0 7900 0491 7

Some of the pictures are a bit old but it's an awesome book for planning your tri training for the season

He has aonther good book simply called "Spinning" that is mainly geared (pun intended) towards cycling. It's very helpful also.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: best triathlon book [dudster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I really enjoyed Brad Kearns' Breakthrough Triathlon Training. Having read quite a few others and, quite honestly, been bored sh*tless after the scientific aspect of training, I was very pleased to pick up a book which is a cracking good read, very motivational and encourages a holistic and lower-stress approach to competing in a way which adds value to your life, not overwhelms it.
Ditto - it doesn't lay out your training plan, but it might give you insight into why you can't seem to get it all together...

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don Fink's Iron fit if you want a simple approach to going long is also a good one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also vote for Brad Kerns book "Breakthrough Triathlon Training". Lots of insight to the lifestyle and training demands. It's a very good read.
Quote Reply