Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My new bike I need HELP! with wheels...PLEASE [TomAnnapolis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please explain how I'm trolling.....
Quote Reply
Re: My new bike I need HELP! with wheels...PLEASE [Deus ex Machina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A (pretty low) cadence of 75 with 53x11 gearing puts you at about 28.5 mph. If you're wearing gearing out at that level, you're winning races. Not saying you aren't, but i'm skeptical.
Quote Reply
Re: My new bike I need HELP! with wheels...PLEASE [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree it is a matter of application...

I could infer that diesel lives in flat and sunny CA/AZ/TX etc...

Jason lives here in SLC were we can ride 14k+ vertical feet of climbing from the house.

when I lived in t I rarely used the 42 with any gear lower than a 16.... but now I climb (ALOT) and I like to spin @ 85+ rpms and compact is great still allowing a 23 or 21 rear (lighter, but let's not go there).

BUT I have a set of 53/38s for lowland/flat races.

20mins and I can go back and forth no problems :D

to paraphrase RUSH - I chose not to decide and still have made a choice...

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Re: My new bike I need HELP! with wheels...PLEASE [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, trolling was a bit ... off ... my apologies ... regardless, i'll stick with what i originally said ... "it's not a debate" ... it's a pointless argument, and a can of worms opened by your "alternative" answer and perpetuated needlessly ... the guy got his answer on wheels ... thread over ... in fact, i'm going to go beat myself for bumping this to the top again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what's your argument for *standard* gearing again?

Maybe it is time we get down to the details in another thread and discuss wattage/cadence/HR/Threshold/etc. Providing folks don't start taking things personally. In the end, it comes down to fitness and whether you want to change chainrings or cassettes......or have several bikes.

I don't think 53/39 and 12-25 is the magical answer....nor do I think 50/34 and 11/21 is either.
Quote Reply
Re: My new bike I need HELP! with wheels...PLEASE [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. What you ride should be determined by fitness and application. There are no hard-and-fast rules, such as "if you're cat 3 or higher you ride standard gearing" or "if you ride compact cranks you should just downgrade your frame cuz if you need compacts you're not going that fast anyway."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Yep. What you ride should be determined by fitness and application.[/reply]

Just face it, if you had been riding standard cranks you would have won that race instead of being top 5. Yeeesh. ;D

A 53/11 gives you a range of 23-38mph (60-100rpm). So if you wear out the 11 all the time then you are either a 60-65rpm masher or the fastest cyclist in the world. At my standard 95rpm it's 36mph...I'd be a *LOT* happier with a 50 tooth big ring myself. 34mph at 95rpm, max out at 43mph at 120rpm.

Back to the original question, Spinergy Stealth SS gets my vote. For a solid, strong training rim the Velocity Spartacus or Spartacus Pro is a good choice. Bombproof and comfy with good handling.

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: My new bike I need HELP! with wheels...PLEASE [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Fleck..

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: My new bike I need HELP! with wheels...PLEASE [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CH Aerocover on the rear. Save for something more aero for the front. Some aero front wheels are pretty reasonable. Later, a Renn on the rear. $450.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: My new bike I need HELP! with wheels...PLEASE [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply]Probably the most idiotic thing I've read here in a long time.[/reply]

Now there's a challenge I can step up to! I'm on it.

Shop at: TriSports.com

"Stick to the facts man, they are good enough, no need to go making stuff up." - STP
Quote Reply

Prev Next