Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's the status with Ves and Yaqui Bikes these days?
Quote | Reply
Haven't heard nor seen anything new from him in awhile (website is pretty outdated). Is he still building all aluminum bikes? Has he ventured into anything else? What about any rear wheel cutouts on that seat tube?

Just wondering as I cruised through a bunch of links this morning and just wondered what was new...

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the status with Ves and Yaqui Bikes these days? [Craigster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he's alive, well, and busy -- my wife just got a new custom painted Carbo (pink and pearl white, it's pretty cool for a chick bike) with the carbon seat stays. I shouldn't make fun of the color. She rode it 104 miles this weekend (2 rides) and loves it. She needs to put her other seat on it, but the fit was perfect (it better be, I fit her using a Mandaric fit bike!) and she was climbing all of the hills in the aero position, per one of the FIST commandments. I think she might open a can of whoop ass on me at IM Germany. I'll try to post a pic later.

Yeah, the only news on Ves is that Easton changed their business process (new ownership I think?) and he will be making bigger purchases for his frame material. As soon as I get my taxes done I am putting my order in for one.

(Disclaimer: I sell Yaqui Bikes in Germany)
Quote Reply
Re: What's the status with Ves and Yaqui Bikes these days? [Craigster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ves is a fixture and a craftsmen. The bikes are as good as ever. Always five stars *****.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: What's the status with Ves and Yaqui Bikes these days? [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks...just wondered if he was doing anything "new" that might interest Slowman into doing another review.

...apparently my powers of persuasion are slipping :-)

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ves is still around and building bikes, but not riding much. He is still building his house. I have heard that Ves has been running a bit. What next? swimming?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, he has some new stuff, posted some pics of the davo a few months back. Search for posts by Ves Mandaric to see the pics. Awesome bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't you get the memo? Any cool bike these days must be carbon!
Quote Reply
Re: What's the status with Ves and Yaqui Bikes these days? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I will be the last person on the planet to get a carbon bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What about any rear wheel cutouts on that seat tube?"

You should call him and ask. You will get an earfull about what's necessary to go fast and what's marketing. I talked to him a few years ago about bicycles. Man, it was an education in ten minutes. I didn't buy a bicycle from him, but I won't forget the stuff he told me!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: What's the status with Ves and Yaqui Bikes these days? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in his shop just yesterday picking up my new hotness.

While there I saw the smallest tri frame that I've ever seen before. Definitely something you would not find in a store.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the status with Ves and Yaqui Bikes these days? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"What about any rear wheel cutouts on that seat tube?"

You should call him and ask. You will get an earfull about what's necessary to go fast and what's marketing. I talked to him a few years ago about bicycles. Man, it was an education in ten minutes. I didn't buy a bicycle from him, but I won't forget the stuff he told me!

What did he tell you about seat tube cutouts?

Yes, that's a seat tube cutout, and it's in my basement right now.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the status with Ves and Yaqui Bikes these days? [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You'll have to ask Ves. Call him up. You have one of his bikes, right? He's a great guy to talk to.

I saw your post yesterday on the subject. What do you think the seat tube cutout is worth? A hundredth of a second over a hundred miles? But these days you can't sell a tri bike without one. Someone did a great job of marketing!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fortunately for Ves, there are still more than enough people who care more about how a bike functions than they do how it looks or is percieved. Thus he is quite busy. From Ves's perspective he is going to keep building aluminum bikes because: 1) steel is much harder to work and heavier 2) titanium is inferior to aluminum/scandium tubes because it is much heavier/more expensive 3) carbon is useful--he offers seat stays in carbon--but you can't really buy reasonably priced custom or near-custom bikes with it. As for wheel cut-outs, he will just laugh and tell you that when he runs out of bikes to build, then he might build another bike with a wheel cutout. He thinks they are worthless, but they will sell and he understands marketing.

So nothing new.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: What's the status with Ves and Yaqui Bikes these days? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI, you can get bikes from Ves that have a hell of a lot more carbon in them then just the seat stays, and custom at that.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the status with Ves and Yaqui Bikes these days? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure you can, but what percentage of his bikes does he actually build that way? And is that frame for five grand that much better than one he would build me for two grand? Probably not. Certainly not two and a half times better.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you think of this article from Fit Werx.com.

"Bent or Cut-Out Seat Tube: These design elements are also often used in order to help pull the rear wheel more under the rider to help rebalance weight distribution. Are you sensing a pattern here? By bending the tube around the rear wheel or cutting out tube material the rear wheel can be tucked under the rider more. This also shields the rear wheel and often can be used to improve aerodynamics and compliance (comfort) of the tube."

http://www.fitwerx.com/...BicycleGeometry.html

It seems the design is more than just cosmetic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

You'll have to ask Ves. Call him up. You have one of his bikes, right? He's a great guy to talk to.

I saw your post yesterday on the subject. What do you think the seat tube cutout is worth? A hundredth of a second over a hundred miles? But these days you can't sell a tri bike without one. Someone did a great job of marketing!
The seat tube cut out is worth nothing, we both know that. I only own a Yaqui with a cut out because Ves had an extra frame that he hooked me up with. I didn't ask for it, and I don't think it makes me a bit faster.
Quote Reply