Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canyon Speedmax CF 8 Disc Di2 - can you remove the spacer underneath the stem?
Quote | Reply
so I'm putting on a longer than stock stem for fit but have room to go down. Is there a way to remove that super thick spacer underneath the stem safely?

I know it comes off but then there's just a tiny rubber seal above the upper headset bearing. I'm wondering if i could put a thin dust cap over that and then just put some spacers on top of the stem with a standard headset cap?

thanks!

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Last edited by: MergeMultisport: Dec 15, 21 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF 8 Disc Di2 - can you remove the spacer underneath the stem? [MergeMultisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MergeMultisport wrote:
so I'm putting on a longer than stock stem for fit but have room to go down. Is there a way to remove that super thick spacer underneath the stem safely?

I know it comes off but then there's just a tiny rubber seal above the upper headset bearing. I'm wondering if i could put a thin dust cap over that and then just put some spacers on top of the stem with a standard headset cap?

thanks!

I did it a couple of years ago when I switched to a different stem. No issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF 8 Disc Di2 - can you remove the spacer underneath the stem? [MergeMultisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need to start a new thread for every follow up question.

If you clicked on my picture link in your other thread about adding a longer stem, you'd see my bike doesn't have the thick spacer. Just remove it. I didn't add a dust cap, but it wouldn't hurt. Canyon offers a low version of the bento to line up with the stem when the thick spacer is removed.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF 8 Disc Di2 - can you remove the spacer underneath the stem? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For anyone that’s done this, once spacer (I believe it is 25mm) is removed, did you need to cut tube?
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF 8 Disc Di2 - can you remove the spacer underneath the stem? [CMac90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Unless you like it to stick out. If you dont want to cut it, you'll need to find some very thin round spacers. None of mine worked with the stock stem because there is a lip on the top of the stock stem. No problem with other stems.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF 8 Disc Di2 - can you remove the spacer underneath the stem? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you or anyone know of any super thin spacers out there that could work for this? Would like to try it out before fully committing to cut steerer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
No need to start a new thread for every follow up question.

If you clicked on my picture link in your other thread about adding a longer stem, you'd see my bike doesn't have the thick spacer. Just remove it. I didn't add a dust cap, but it wouldn't hurt. Canyon offers a low version of the bento to line up with the stem when the thick spacer is removed.

Could you re-post this, please? Or share the link. I cannot find it and I’m curious about the removal of the front spacer. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Speedmax CF 8 Disc Di2 - can you remove the spacer underneath the stem? [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a little while ago, but I think it was this one: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7651947#p7651947
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thank you
Quote Reply