Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim: How to breathe without kicking wrong
Quote | Reply
So, after a lot of swim work I got looked at last night by a masters swim coach. He said I am still lifting my head too much when I breathe. So I worked on keeping my head down. If I focused on "breathing with my belly and letting my head follow," plus keeping the head glued to the forward arm, it seemed to work.

Problem is that it messed up my kick. When I breathed correctly I felt like I was on my side in the pool and unable to kick. Or one foot would kick the other.

How do you kick when you are breathing?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim: How to breathe without kicking wrong [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have trouble breathing like this in our gym pool-no gutters. If anyone at all is in there, it is not far from open water training. You have to lift your head or really rotate over or you are swallowing water every time. Gets to be a bad habit. I think Doug had a thread on the kick sequence a week or so ago.

Re: Swim: How to breathe without kicking wrong [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your breathing pattern should be linked to your body rotation.

I find that breathing very early in the stroke helps maintain your body alignment and will not cause your kick to go lateral.

Here is the sequence: if you breathe to the right- your right arm is extended fully, as soon as your left arm enters the water in a line in front of your left shoulder and opposite your right elbow, flex your right wrist by pointing your fingers toward the bottom of the pool, your right elbow will move forward (not back), now start opening your right hip, your hips will pull your arm back and your right shoulder will start to open, let your head go with your shoulder and breathe NOW. It will seem very early in stroke but it is part of your body rotation. You will feel as if you are pulling over your arm as your body rotates.

DougStern
Quote Reply