Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Real Design Ultra Sonics any good?
Quote | Reply
Anybody have some of these in 700c 60mm depth? Are they decent race wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Real Design Ultra Sonics any good? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have had a pair for about 8 months now, raced short course to Ironman distance on them. Feel really fast, arnt affected by cross winds and sound great, kinda like a disc.
They are a Mr HED design. only problem Ive had is with water getting into the rim, but it was a day that I needed wipers on my glasses as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
theres been at least one other thread about these in the last month or so.

I've only ever seen one pair of the 700cc 40mm in use, on a mate's litespeed. they lasted about 3 rides (French Alps) before 'noodling' and have not been used, trued or sold in the last 6 months, despite his best effrots.

I'm sure he'd consider a reasonable offer ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Real Design Ultra Sonics any good? [nickvironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a HED Jet 60/Jet 90 combo that would fill with water. I didn't think it was much of an issue until I picked up my bike after a rainy race and felt how heavy it was!

Here's the quick fix. Since the Carbon fiber is thin and has no structural purpose, this will not affect the strength of the wheel. Take a SMALL drill bit (3/64" or 1/16" works great) and drill a small hole into the side of the carbon just out from the aluminum rim. This will allow the water to push out of the aero section while the wheel is spinning. I put two holes in each wheel 180 degrees apart, one on each side.

Got the idea from other aluminum rims: Mavic, Rolf, to name a few. I saw that these rims with a lower aero section than the HED wheels had water holes, so I made my own in my wheelset. Hope this helps out with the water problem!

I'd hate to know how much weight you'd pick up on a rainy IM course!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are the ones you have. Zipp just started making these for ABG and there is a significant improvement. My brother and I both had the older ones, we are clydesdales, and trashed them. I have a new set, came on my new Blade, and they have been great so far. The carbon (fairing?) is a structureral part of the wheel now and is much stiffer.

You can tell if yours are the newer wheels if the spoke nipples are on top of the carbon (faring?)

Quote | Reply
FYI the new versions of the Real Design wheels included on new Litespeed and QR bikes are actually Zipp Flashpoint 60's with Real Design decals (yours probably have Flashpoint etched into the hubs.) I have a Caliente with these on it and I love mine also. I think these are a definately more durable wheel than the old Real Design. I came from racing a bike with HED Jets, so I've had experience with both styles. My opinion FWIW is the Flashpoints are much better wheels than the old Real Designs.
Quote Reply
Re: Real Design Ultra Sonics any good? [SRQ_3sport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]How old are the ones you have. Zipp just started making these for ABG and there is a significant improvement. My brother and I both had the older ones, we are clydesdales, and trashed them. I have a new set, came on my new Blade, and they have been great so far. The carbon (fairing?) is a structureral part of the wheel now and is much stiffer.

You can tell if yours are the newer wheels if the spoke nipples are on top of the carbon (faring?)[/reply]

These came on an '05 Tiphoon a buddy of mine just bought and he wants to sell them. I was considering buying them but the fairing felt pretty wimpy when you pressed against it. Sounds like from the above posts, the fairing is not structural (like the old Jet's) so that would make sense. The hubs seemed pretty smooth though. I have some older Hed Cx wheels and was thinking of upgrading as the Cx are kinda heady but I guess I will pass on these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only used my Ultra Sonics in two races and don't use them for training, so I can't say much for durability but they seem fast enough, and look nice too.
Quote Reply