Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best One-Piece Tri Suit for IM? Recommendations?
Quote | Reply
looking for a comfortable one-piece with a chamois that can handle 112, but not feel like a diaper on the run. any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Best One-Piece Tri Suit for IM? Recommendations? [redlab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This isn't the reply you were looking for, but I'm doing my 17th IM next week, and in the past I've tried every gear combination imaginable (including a couple of one-pieces).
My tip is to NOT use a one-piece. The chamois will be too thin for an IM length cycle, or too bulky to run, and they are completely awkward for any piss stops (esp on the bike).
My pick: my favourite knicks on the bike, then take the 30 seconds to change to my favourite shorts (actually short tights) on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used one piece tri suits from Zoot and Orca without any problems during IM races. 5 total including Hawaii if that matters at all.

I would pay close attention to the seams of the one piece tri suits. Look at how the stitching of the chamois is done, whether the tail of the zipper is covered and other small details. I tried a Tyr one piece and the zipper tail sat in my belly button. It was only an Olympic distance race but my belly button was pretty raw. Look at the details of a tri suit as some have pads with different densities.

My favorite saddle is the Selle Italia SLR it's more personal preferance. Other brands with tri suits I want to try include Craft and Oomph.

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm kinda new to all of this, and just out of curiosity, what's the benefit of the 1-piece/bib-shorts thing? I always figured they were for fat people who didn't want their pants coming down from their belly fat roll :-)

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]looking for a comfortable one-piece with a chamois that can handle 112, but not feel like a diaper on the run. any suggestions?[/reply]

I have liked DeSoto.....

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Craft and Cervelo have nice Elastic pads, similar to the chamois in Assos shorts. Can't stand the fleece crap.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto DeSoto Desoto.

The pad is thin enough not to squash your nuts in the wetsuit, but is plenty for the bike. The legs support your quads well. You can get a bunch of pockets depending on the style. Seams are great, quality can't be beat.

Peeing is not a problem, don't be a princess, wet your pants.

Why a one piece?

- No sunburn above the crack.

- Tight fit with no screwing around with jerseys

- Zip it down a bit, and when you go through a water stop on the bike, just grab a bottle and stuff it down the front, fill your areo bottle later when the dangerous traffic is past.

- If you do a hot race like IM Moo, you will can dump a couple cups of ice down the front, and it will sit around your core real nice.

- You want to die in something that looks nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Orca Pro - expensive, but very nice. I race up to 1/2 IM in one but I like to change for an IM as well

Quote | Reply
DeSoto DeSoto DeSoto!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Best One-Piece Tri Suit for IM? Recommendations? [Number5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"The pad is thin enough not to squash your nuts in the wetsuit, but is plenty for the bike. The legs support your quads well. You can get a bunch of pockets depending on the style. Seams are great, quality can't be beat. "

I hate a bunch of pockets on my suits. May have no effect but it seems like the antichrist to a good swim. CAN YOU SPELL PARACHUTE?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used the DeSoto Powersuits in the past, but am switching to Sugoi. Comfort on the bike is about bike fit, not padding.
Quote Reply
Re: Best One-Piece Tri Suit for IM? Recommendations? [mcoker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just the fat guys, huh. Better tell 95% of the ITU draft legal pros with 6% body fat that they are wearing suits intended for fat guys to cover the belly roll.
Quote Reply
Re: Best One-Piece Tri Suit for IM? Recommendations? [c hunt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why i'm asking... I "thought" that's what it was when I first saw them. Thought being the main word. Past tense being key with my useage of the word. I don't think that anymore, but I don't know what the benefit would be and I'm curious.

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One option is to wear a relatively thin padded tri suit such as desoto and pull a pair of padded bike shorts/bibs over for the bike.

As for the question regarding bibs vs shorts, all I can say try bibs and you will never go back to shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: Best One-Piece Tri Suit for IM? Recommendations? [mcoker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One piece tri suits are good for a number of reasons.

1) No stupid tri tan/burn on lower back.
2) No waistband/hem/seam to bind and chafe.
3) Nice long zipper to open for cooling.
4) Don't ride up/down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cervelo and oomph are on my short list. i've raced desoto one-piece for oly/HIM, but don't think it would be comfy in an IM.

anyone try Ironman brand one-pieces?
Quote Reply
Re: Best One-Piece Tri Suit for IM? Recommendations? [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree.

One-piece suits have their purpose and their fans. However, for IM racing my preference would be for a two piece. It gives you more flexibility in what to wear particularly for radical changes in the weather and also allows you to . . . well . . you know . a lot easier if you have to!

Key things to rember.

1. Make sure that you have good shoulder/back coverage on the bike to avoid the sun.

2. Make sure that the top fits tight and is not flapping around in the wind. Many people pay HUGE amounts for funky aero bikes, but toss all gains and more out the window with what they wear!! Strange!

3. Make sure that extra layers that you put on can be taken on/off easily in Transition and/or on the bike while riding.

4. Make sure that you are warm on the bike. Too many triathletes under-dress for bike training and for the bike portion of triathlon races.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is a little on the TMI side but,

if your gastro-intestinal system is giving you problems on the run (as has been discussed here innumerable times), a separate top and bottom may be more practical from a porta potty standpoint.

It's never happened to me but it was in my mind when planning my IM kit. If you practice, changing into a nice, CLEAN, feather light pair of run shorts, comression shorts, or tights might be just the thing to set you off on a blazing marathon. That way, you can go for a great set of bike shorts for the ride. IMHO.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard good things are the Ironman activewear uni....

BUT, my buddy at IMAZ last year had his zipper go bad on his Orca uni (left the top "off" for the swim and puts it on in t1). Had to ride and run with it wide open.

LOL. Still had a good race though....
Quote Reply
Re: Best One-Piece Tri Suit for IM? Recommendations? [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would he feel the need to tuck an orca uni? There's no pockets or anything on the suit to create drag. I would think the top zipped up would be far less drag than rolling the top into your shorts which has been shown to create a drag at the pantline.
Quote Reply
Re: Best One-Piece Tri Suit for IM? Recommendations? [Burt'sH2OBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For chaffing reasons he doesn't wear the "top" and just lets it hang down while pulling up his wetsuit top.

I'd post his pix from IMAZ, but I'm sure he could post a better shot of me....
Quote Reply