Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What I've learned after 259,075 yards
Quote | Reply
That's how many yards I've swam since I began recording them, back in June '05. I probably put in 90,000 before that.

This is kind of a follow up to the "Is this how good swimming feels?" thread for my fellow novice swimmers.

- Nothing is more important than body position. Luckily, that's easy to improve to a passable level.

- If you think you're not lifting your head, you probably are. You have to KNOW you aren't, and it probably feels like you are *lowering* it when you breathe to be sure you aren't. Trying that made me realize I still was, even though one eye stayed submerged. Fixing it has knock-on effects (like making it easier to not drop the other arm/elbow).

- Overcompensation is a must. See the point above. Same for crossing over, etc.

- Too much roll = too much sinking.

- Kicking isn't needed for good body position. BUT I sure need it to "anchor" my rotation and pull. It matters. So you can't just say "my kick sucks, and doesn't get me anywhere during kick sets, so I ain't kicking." Note to self: start back up on kick sets.

- I hate cheating, but Zoomers are great for drills and swimming (part of the time). They really do teach a lot, and as a bonus give the ankles a good stretching.

- Pull-Bs are just plain evil. Nothing feels right, and my shoulders actually hurt using it.

- Your elbows can always get "higher" (for catch/pull).

- The best all-in-one drill is one-arm swim. It's kind of like one-sided catch-up, so does many things at once. But pay sharp attention during drills, don't just go through the motions. I ONLY improve when I really focus, and then apply it to the full stroke, again with focus.

I know I'll never be a good or fast swimmer, having started so old and having a shoulder that limits me to ~10-12K/week. Just pushing my limits.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: What I've learned after 259,075 yards [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I admire your dedication. Nice work.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: What I've learned after 259,075 yards [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything you say sounds right - unfortunately.

PBs are crack for triathletes - I ended up using them too much this winter while recovering from a broken ankle. Have always been a s****y swimmer, and have a running background with ankles as flexible as bricks. Fins do help, as they stretch the ankle, and have struggled with getting elbows high, as well as with body position.

But here's my question - I'm an older guy (50+) and my neck is kinda stiff - have a lot of trouble turning to breathe. As I've sunk my front end more, legs have come up and speed has increased - but am breathing a boatload of water. I breathe bilaterally, but barely get the edge of mouth out of the water to breathe. Call me a pansy, but am pretty fond of oxidative metabolism, so would love any thoughts as to how a stiff-necked swimmer might enjoy the occasional breath!
Quote Reply
Re: What I've learned after 259,075 yards [oldslowdoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
used correctly, a pull buoy and band is the best way to teach a non-swimming adult how to swim. but nobody here wants to hear that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Everything you say sounds right - unfortunately.

PBs are crack for triathletes - I ended up using them too much this winter while recovering from a broken ankle. Have always been a s****y swimmer, and have a running background with ankles as flexible as bricks. Fins do help, as they stretch the ankle, and have struggled with getting elbows high, as well as with body position.

But here's my question - I'm an older guy (50+) and my neck is kinda stiff - have a lot of trouble turning to breathe. As I've sunk my front end more, legs have come up and speed has increased - but am breathing a boatload of water. I breathe bilaterally, but barely get the edge of mouth out of the water to breathe. Call me a pansy, but am pretty fond of oxidative metabolism, so would love any thoughts as to how a stiff-necked swimmer might enjoy the occasional breath!

Do you stretch your neck? I had a case of golfer's neck (I used to over-rotate during backswing), so I'm sensitive to the whole neck thing. I do my best to not turn very far. Works fine to one side, not at all to the other. Are you keeping one eye below the surface? If not, then you'll be able to turn your head less when you get the hang of it. Slap on fins and try barely turning. If the extra speed does the trick, then all you have to do is get faster. :-)

If it's fine during races (i.e., because they are shorter than training sessions) but just too much during training, try a Finis snorkel.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Quote Reply
Re: What I've learned after 259,075 yards [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
used correctly, a pull buoy and band is the best way to teach a non-swimming adult how to swim. but nobody here wants to hear that.
I wouldn't say "nobody." There are others who espouse that idea.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Have been pretty careful with head alignment - when I turn to breathe, one goggle lens is underwater, the other out - and am trying to point to the end of the pool to keep spine in neutral position, but I know I'm lifting, even slightly.

As far as training being longer than races, I'm trying to move from short course to long course tri this year - with some 1/2 IM and IM races scheduled. I can fake it for an Oly or Sprint (at least I have for a few years), but am nervous about the 2.4 mi monster in my future.

Coach has me looking straight down while going forward, and focusing on feeling water over the back of my neck and upper back to improve body position. First few laps like this are OK, then I realize what I'm doing, get nervous, and inhale half of the pool volume. He also told me I was over-rotating and has me "swimming like a barge" - e.g., flattening out my swim to avoid the over-rotation and consequent fishtailing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, sounds exactly like what I went through. I still take in gallons if I attempt right-side breathing.

When I started swimming more and with pure swimmers (a few lessons w/ a former Oly gold medalist, and casual advice at masters swims from another Oly swimmer), I was immediately told to stop trying to sink the upper body to level out. At first I thought such an anti-TI idea was bad, but as my speed has improved, I'm finding that it was good advice. Now, I'm not exactly planing above the water like a speedboat, but my body position is better despite not sinking the torso so much. It's kind of chicken and egg?

What I like to do as a drill... pushoff super-streamlined. Kick a few beats, still streamlined, feel yourself at the surface from head to toe. Then take a couple strokes and get back into the streamlined kick. Do this when 100% recovered so you won't need to breathe much. Try to swim with that same body position and reach that position between strokes. Whenever I start feeling low or out of balance, I come back to that drill. At least it seems to work!

But keep in mind in all of this that most of my 100s are 1:35ish, and my pace is longer sets is 1:40-1:45. I ain't anything close to fast. I won't ever be truly good, but I can get fundamentally sound.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - will try what you've suggested. At my pace (not measured in numbers, but in probability of moving forward rather than sinking), am willing to experiment with a lot of things. Dangdest thing, all of my kids were competitive swimmers - and pretty good - but the 'reverse inheritance't thing didn't work. So they all giggle shamelessly when they see the old man swim.

Of course I smoke 'em on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: What I've learned after 259,075 yards [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do...want to hear more...shoot Brent...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No me, I still have a love affair with that thing. Especially when my legs are cooked from a morning run or ride.

Re: What I've learned after 259,075 yards [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No me, I still have a love affair with that thing. Especially when my legs are cooked from a morning run or ride.
I almost *always* swim first, bike or run after. If I did the reverse, maybe I'd cheat, too. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of you either taking in water when you breathe or lifting your head too high, try breathing from your armpit. When you take a breath, as you rotate your head, tuck your chin, so that you are looking at your armpit. Take in a quick breath and return head to your normal position.

Ken

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I admire your dedication. Nice work.
Ditto. Great work Aztec , keep chipping away !

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Last edited by: canuck8: Mar 27, 06 17:52
Quote Reply