Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How negotiable are bike prices? Road bike recs?
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a new road bike and am not sure what brand will be right for me. I've received recs for Trek, Bianchi and Specialized. I'm a new rider so don't want anything extravagant. Hoping to spend around 1500, 2k max on a completely assembled and fitted bike. I'm tall (just about 5'10) and slim. What are some good bikes in this price range for a tall chick?

When purchasing anything, my instinct is to wheel and deal for the best price. I get the impression that bike shops don't look to fondly upon this so I don't want to commit any sort of faux pas. How negotiable are the prices? Can I expect to buy a bike below MSRP?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: How negotiable are bike prices? Road bike recs? [icequeen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
icequeen ... as a former bike shop manager etc. i'll be the first to tell you that bike shops don't make much margin on bicycles. I and my staff did not budge on current year model bikes but were more than willing to "deal" on any and all accessories needed to get someone gong (service, pedals, helmets, shoes, cages, bottles, computer etc.) ... we always did $20 off all acessorieson day of and free "adjustments" (brakes, cables, shifting, cleaning, inspection, tightening) for the life of the bike (original owner)

Hope that helps ...

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A simple question at the lbs should clear it up. "I understand that there isn't a huge margin on the price of bikes, but that some shops give discounts on accessories. I don't mean to offend you, but what's your policy here?" After purchase adjustments(tune ups)vary from shop to shop. The shops I've bought vary from a free 30 day tune up to free adjustments for the first year.

I've never had to ask, but each time I've bought a bike(4 over the last 5 years, each from a different shop)I've always got between 10-20% break on accessories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howdy,

Well, to be blunt, your timing sucks.

This is the wrong time of year to get a discount on a bike. Bike shops in much of the country (especially a place like Seattle) are a very seasonal business, and you are squarely in the "let's make our nut for the year" part of the season.

It's a bit like trying to get a discount lift ticket on the day after Christmas.

The good news is, you can find plenty of bike in your price range, and it's early enough in the season that the shops still have bikes in stock.

Feel free to PM me if you want - I'm in Seattle as well, and might be able to steer you a little bit or network you towards a good deal.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bad time of the year and depends on the LBS....as mentioned above.

It's also important to compare apples to apples, which can be tough when you're always looking at price.

i.e. - If Bike Shop (a) will discount a Shimano 105 bike, but Shop (b) has an ultegra bike at the same price....some might assume the discounted bike is a better deal. Sounds trivial, but I've witnessed (my last girlfriend) this in process.

Based upon the above, I'd toss Felt into the mix. A GREAT value in your price range.

As for margin, many LBS owners are crying foul....but there's still money to be made. I was looking at a $2800 frame today. The owner was going to split the mark-up with me and sell for $2375. Do the math....and that was just the f/f/sp/hs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can't go wrong with the fuji aloha, my local bike shop sells them complete for $1050... 315-265-5850
Quote Reply
Re: How negotiable are bike prices? Road bike recs? [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ROAD BIKE!

she's looking for a road bike :0)

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, Supersale, a big nationwide sale at most every Trek dealer, is at the end of this month, less than a week away. So I guess it isn't the worst time to be in the market for a new bike and some accessories.

Geoffrey Nenninger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would check the LBS price with a few large internet dealers like nyto.com. If they are in the ballpark, buy the bike and start working on your relationship with them. I never ask for discounts but they offer them since I come in a lot. Since I never haggle, they will often install stuff I buy for free. They set up a new seat for me a while back-no charge. Be sure to bring them candy and cookies sometimes. If you do these things, they will be glad when you walk through the door rather than hide in the back room.

If you have access, Felt and Giant have some very nice bikes in that price range.

Quote | Reply
Don't haggle with the bike shop. They are not car dealerships.

Shopping around is OK, but I don't haggle. I might need a favor some day and I don't want to create any animosity.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: How negotiable are bike prices? Road bike recs? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree. Cultivate relationship with them, send others to their shop, bring them goodies and you'll probably find yourself being very well taken care of. I bring my guys a 12-pack of good beer every couple of months and especially after good races (plus, they like to hear how the race goes).

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your recs are all good choices. My road bike is a Bianchi and I am very happy with it. Giant and Felt make some very nice road bikes, hard to beat these companies at a price point.

Don't want to sound too much like Tom Demerly, but fit is important. The going rate for a professional bike fit is around $200 (takes 2 - 3hours). However, most shops that offer fitting, will give at least half that price as credit toward a new bike purchase.

Now, you don't necessarily need a "professional" fitting. I had more casual fittings for both of my bikes, about 30 - 40 minutes, no charge. Both fitters were competent and one was Serotta fit certified. I think my positions on both bikes are fine (I could be wrong, but I doubt it) and I fine tuned it on my own. The other thing about fitting, and on this forum people will give a lot of flack for too many spacers, seat is too high, etc, but since your fit will depend on your goals, this is subjective criticism. If you want to tool around in centuries with a postion like a clipper ship, so what. If you are a serious racer, you will want an aggressive fit (low front end, long enough top tube to get extended so you have a flat back while in the drops) on a road bike. This is partly about how you are fitted on the bike, but also in the geometry of the bike itself. Just for comparison take a ride on a touring bike and then on a racing bike and you will see what I mean. I am guessing you are about middle of the road, so you may want to do some racing/fast riding at some point. Have this in mind while you shop. A good saleman will want to know what you want to do with the bike now and what you plan to be doing in two years.

Bottom line, ask about how they fit people on bikes and/or costs.

As far as choices for a tall girl, it depends on your build. If you are all legs, you may fit better on certain brands (I don't know off the top of my head). Since you are 5'10" you would be roughly a 56 cm., which is good because most shops will have a good number of bikes in this size. I am 6'2", so I usually have a lot less choice (no reason for shops to stock a lot 61 cm. frames).

Good Luck

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others said, it's not really a "haggle" situation but there are ways to get better deals...
I think the key is to be willing to be flexible on brands, models, etc., but be insistent that they take the time to fit you right and set it up well.

Yeah, your timing sucks...
the one thing that you do have going for you is a lot of shops have too many bikes and not enough space to put them. It could be that a store around you has an 05 bike that would work well for you; here, they're not worried about profit margin, they just want to get it out of their shop w/out losing their shirts.

That said, there are deals that would work for some people but not others. A long-time rider who knows what length top tube and stem they need, has built up their own bikes before, etc., could take advantage of some deals that would be a waste for a beginner. Be honest w/the shop about what you know and what you don't know. If buying last year's bike means that they just hand it to you and say thanks, w/out seeing if it fits right, it might not be the right deal for you.

Also, never buy a bike from a store you don't like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My LBS has a 10% discount for local tri club members. On a P3C that's a good chunk of change. On out of state sweet heart over the phone deals, I have seen as much as 15%, never more. This is all current model year inventory. Of course, you can save the taxes on out of state deals which in some states is major, but you do pay shipping. I will pay some premium to have the relationship and support with the LBS, very important.

----------------------------------------
I ride a Cervelo...get over it....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for all your tips and suggestions. I know I asked this ages ago, but thought I'd give an update. As luck would have it, my cousin who has been living down in Oregon for the past couple of years visa expired so he had a bike to get rid of. He is not much taller than me so I ended up buying his gently used Trek from him for a great price.

I love my new bike and it fits well even though the saddle is just not working for me. Ouch!
Quote Reply