Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

30k road race nutrition plan?
Quote | Reply
Me: 6'2" 200 pounds, ding. My goal is to do about 9 minute miles, so I will probably go 9:15 or 9:30 for a grand total of about 3 hours.

How many calories do you think I should take in? There are water and G-ade every mile, but I think that is it. I will have a peanut butter bagel and some plain yogurt a few hours before, a banana on the way, and will be using clif blocks during the race. Clif says 3 to 6 blocks (1 package) per hour. You think 1 block at every water stop? Should I hit anything else along the way? I have some personal sag support on the 3 loop route, so I can bring anything else and get it at the 10k and 20k points.

Gracias.
Quote Reply
Re: 30k road race nutrition plan? [NeedMoreEngine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you eat for your long runs? Are they a similar length of time to this race?

John Heiss
PhD Biochemistry, UCLA
Founder, Prolong Energy
http://www.prolongenergy.com
Quote Reply
Re: 30k road race nutrition plan? [jkh2828] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The longer runs I've done have been unsupported so I consume only about 50 oz of water and 6 blocks. I was well hydrated before, but generally begin to suffer around the 12 mile mark when water and blocks run out...

This will be the longest run of my life so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 hours is not "long" in terms of race duration.
Your suggested intake should be adequate. If you "bonk" on that many calories it would be more likely a muscular endurance, rather than a nutrition issue.

From my personal experieince, while I can handle solids in training, I cannot stomach them at the higher HR's of racing.. I would use liquid calories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing a 30k soon too. My plan is to have a Gu (or Hammer Gel, whatever I happen to have more of laying around) at approx :45, 1:20, and 1:55 (i'm hoping to be done in like 2:20 or so), and just grab a sip o' water now and again along the way. 5'10", 161 if that matters any.

I'm kinda a minimalist in running races, YTD I've done 5k, 10m, and half mary, and other than a sip of water near the end of the half mary, I took no water or calories at all - didn't wanna risk stitches or cramping, etc. I do runs in training of up to 12m/90 mins w/ no water or cals, so I'm used to it. YMMV.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: 30k road race nutrition plan? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ran a 30K with 1 cup of water and 4 small cups of gatorade, aid stations were every 5k. Ran a 2:16. 5'11" 160lbs - so similar body type. I don't think you'll need to carry anything. Just drink what they give you.

John Heiss
PhD Biochemistry, UCLA
Founder, Prolong Energy
http://www.prolongenergy.com
Quote Reply