Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon in the rain questions
Quote | Reply
I know you run in it.

But how do you deal with rain in terms of skin rubbing in wet shoes. I can see no problem doing that in a 10k or even a half, but 26 miles!, I would think something bad happens down there in the feet, and all that weight from the water just weighing your ass down.

What if you just spray the shit out of the shoe with rainguard. And switch to a lighter shoe. I need some tips. I feel rain coming this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon in the rain questions [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't wear cotton socks!

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use two pairs of socks, one a thin liner sock, cuts down on the friction.

I wonder if the nike marathons with the holes in the bottom, would be helpful????

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use vasoline. Before every marathon, I cover my feet with vasoline. Lots of it. I do that all the time. Help to prevent blister(s) too..

Tough times don't last, tough people do ;-)
Francois.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon in the rain questions [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't spray anything on your shoes. Don't switch shoes and don't wear two pairs of socks either.

Wear your normal running socks...provided they are not cotton...and if you like you can lube your feet with some Bodyglide or vaseline. You should also lube your thighs, underarms and nipple area very well. Use duct tape on the nipples because bandaids will come off 2 minutes into a rainy race.

Bottom line is that there's absolutely nothing you can do to stop the rain or avoid getting wet. You can however make things worse by stressing about it. Relax, its only water.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon in the rain questions [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know Vaseline works for a lot of my buddies, but I find that it tends to rub off in the rain - at about mile 13, so have had miserable blisters when wet running. I have found better success with (a) using BodyGlide [it lasts longer]; (b) using ultrathin polypro socks that are ankle high [the low-cut ones have a hem that thickens and rubs as it gets wet]; and (c) making sure that the shoes are snugly tied.

Don't forget the other places that chafe - anything that chafes when it's dry outside will chafe exponentially worse when wet - so I load those areas (I happen to have five specific spots that get rubbed raw in marathons) up with Body Glide also.

On the positive front, hyperthermia is rarely an issue, and the cameraderie with the other runners is markedly enhanced by running a marathon together in a steady rain. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for the feet bodyglide first, then smear vaseline all over your feet. bodyglide your whole body and wear a hat with a bill to keep the rain out of your face.

wear the socks you train in that obviously have the least likelihood of causing your feet to slip all around.

this might be obvious, but don't over dress. it's only rain, you'll still get hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coolmax socks. One pair. No vaseline on the feet. Go run.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon in the rain questions [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
finally, something I agree with you on! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon in the rain questions [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
finally, something I agree with you on! ;)
If we don't agree often, you must be wrong a lot of times ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon in the rain questions [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I let you sleep in my bed before I knew how wrong you are!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon in the rain questions [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh Kerri, that's just WRONG! ;-)
Quote Reply