Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long Torso / frame /setup recommendations
Quote | Reply
I'm 6' 1/2" (without shoes), inseam 33" (true inseam, pant inseam = 32"), arms on the short side with a long torso. Weight = 160 lb -- wrist circumference 6.5" (small frame).
I rode a Giant TCR carbon compact frame size M for 1.5 years, did reasonably well in age group for some roadie races & triathlons, BUT developed ITBS/hip flexor spasms on my right side... kept cycling (but stopped running) and eventually the pain moved to my hip... for 1 year+ I have had occasional hip & hip flexor pain.

After six months of NO biking or serious running, I wanna get a new bike (sold my TCR). With my long skinny body and torso, I'm thinking I should avoid a compact frame and go with a longer top-tube bike, like Litespeed or Bianchi (any cheaper alternatives with similar sizing specs?)... I've measured myself silly based on several Internet sizing calculators, which all say I should go with a 57cm-58cm frame... but, I just feel SCRUNCHED UP on a bike this size.... OK, here are my options, I would like to poll you guys for suggestions:

1. Size 57-58 cm frame with a longer stem and/or seat moved back - suggestions?
2. "Classic" roadie fit: fist-sized gap between my pelvic bone and the top tube, probably means a 59-61cm frame - suggestions? Doesn't it seem that all those 70s/80s era TDF guys were on much BIGGER bikes for their size (and I doubt they got more injuries than today's riders).

Would also appreciate any other tips re my hip issues. I saw two different PTs, did billions of stretches/PT exercises, with minimal impact. The pain is low grade but refuses to go away. I plan to visit a "real" bone doc this week just to make sure there are no structural issues (i.e., stress fracture, back disc problem) but otherwise just want to start poppin' ibuprofen and Ride!

I am also trying to do some squat / deadlift exercises (Stuart / Hardgainer method), based on the fact that I have always had good upper body strength (bench 225, 15 pullups) but ZERO lower body power (squatting maybe 135 max). Thanks for any suggestions / comments.
Quote Reply