Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Analytic Cyling, estimating frontal area, input from other swimmers
Quote | Reply
I was just over at analytic Cycling's website trying to figure out my current cda. Based on race data (zeroed PT and bike split time) I have been attempting to figure out my effective frontal area. I ride a P3C with 16cm drop and a LG Rocket helmet which sits flatly on my back. I was hoping I would have a smaller frontal area. Right now, I have it at .38m^2, which I don't think is very good.

I have used .01 as the slope for the course (SOMA 1/2 IM), is that realistic? For those who have done Eagleman, what would you suggest using as slope? I would imagine a .00 slope is not really ever realistic, so .01 is more accurate, even for the flattest courses.

The other part of my question relates to shoulder width and frontal area. I come from a swimming background as a distance swimmer, so I am very fortunate at the start of any triathlon. Consequently, my shoulders are relatively broad. How much of an effect would broad shoulders have on ones frontal area numbers?

Thanks for help!
Last edited by: Flanagan: Feb 27, 06 6:44
Quote Reply
Re: Analytic Cyling, estimating frontal area, input from other swimmers [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was just over at analytic Cycling's website trying to figure out my current cda. Based on race data (zeroed PT and bike split time) I have been attempting to figure out my effective frontal area. I ride a P3C with 16cm drop and a LG Rocket helmet which sits flatly on my back. I was hoping I would have a smaller frontal area. Right now, I have it at .38m^2, which I don't think is very good.

I have used .01 as the slope for the course (SOMA 1/2 IM), is that realistic? For those who have done Eagleman, what would you suggest using as slope? I would imagine a .00 slope is not really ever realistic, so .01 is more accurate, even for the flattest courses.

The other part of my question relates to shoulder width and frontal area. I come from a swimming background as a distance swimmer, so I am very fortunate at the start of any triathlon. Consequently, my shoulders are relatively broad. How much of an effect would broad shoulders have on ones frontal area numbers?

Thanks for help!

Here's a graphical representation of the Eagleman bike course:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I kid you not.

Without meteorological data (temperature, air pressure, etc.), determining CdA from race data is pretty hard, especially without knowing the wind. Check out the forum at biketechreview.com; these guys do this stuff all the time, but usually by doing measured out-and-back tests multiple times with the weather data well in hand.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Analytic Cyling, estimating frontal area, input from other swimmers [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Set your bike up in front of a mirror and find a pad/bar position that lets you comfortably hold a shrug (with the shoulders pulled up towards your ears). Some things to try; move the pads wider (narrow elbows flare the shoulders out, having your arms angle in from the elbows abducts them, making them narrower), rotating the hands to the top of the bars (same thing, causes shoulder abduction), trying different extension shapes among other things.

All the position pics that get posted here always show a side view. A side view can give you a gestalt about a persons Cd, but that overall has less impact on CdA (and is a lot harder to predict) than frontal area. Your goal in setting up an aerodynamic position should be to minimize frontal area. That can't be assesed from the side. Look at yourself head on, get narrow, then work on getting low (as in your head and back, which doesn't necesarrily involve having a low handlebar position...). Just remember that a low FA is the goal, not a low handlebar. If you work from the front and minimize your FA, you will be very close to the ideal position for you individually. From the side you might be *low*, you might be *high*, but if FA is minimized, you will be *fast*.

Scott
Last edited by: smartin: Feb 27, 06 8:26
Quote Reply