Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Major Head aches after training
Quote | Reply
I have been training pretty hard on weekends. After my workouts in about 5 minutes I develop a crazy killer head ache. Am I not hydrating properly? Should I be having some sort of protein drink before the workout? I am drinking gatorade during and after the workout. The headache is so bad I am pretty worthless for the rest of the day, and it doesn't go away until about 8pm. It could be my diet which hasn't been the greatest.

Help

http://www.active.com/donate/tntpb/nicoley
Quote Reply
Re: Major Head aches after training [TRI4ACAUZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the same thing from time to time and it's nearly always because i didn't drink enough or eat enough. It's not enough to just drink before and after, you have to get substantial quantities of fluids to replace what was lost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dehydration. Drink more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It used to happen to me when I played hockey early in the morning, more water didn't help, a bottle of Gatorade did.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, dehydration can do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto to previous posters: Sounds like dehydration.

Another thought: If I consume an excessive amount of sugar (like Gatorade) and don't balance it with protein, it can trigger an evil headache or even a migraine.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exercise induced headache -

http://www.relieve-migraine-headache.com/exercise-induced-headache.html

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Major Head aches after training [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with this one Schwing..I get these from endurance workouts rather regularly. Your body diverts blood flow to the working muscles during these hard workouts. The headache lasts pretty much all day and they are intense, a vise on your head. All you can do is take pain reliever every 4-6 hours to keep ahead of the discomfort.
Quote Reply
Re: Major Head aches after training [gimpy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some post-exercise headaches are muscle-tension headaches, related to posture or spasm of the neck and scalp muscles - they occur after prolonged endurance training because the fatigue that accompanies long workouts often induces tension. Might want to try massage / heating pad / etc, or have somebody check for areas of muscle spasm or trigger points.

I had a running buddy who had terrible problems with headaches after long runs - none of the standard remedied worked - went away with yoga and other flexibility regimens directed to shoulders and neck. Go figure.
Quote Reply