Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GPS unit instead of a standard bike computer?
Quote | Reply

Hello all;

I'm considering getting a GPS unit for my bikes, and was wondering if anyone uses them instead of (as opposed to "along with") a standard bike computer.

I don't need as much out of a bike computer as a lot of people on this forum. Basically, if I go on a 20+ mile ride, I'd like to know how far I've gone - within, say, 2/10 of a mile. I'd also like to know my average speed - again, w/in 2/10 of a mile (is that one harder for a gps unit, as opposed to a bike computer that can figure out when you've stopped riding?). And I'd like to be able to know how fast I'm going, within maybe 1/2 a mile - although I'd be ok with having that not register every moment. And I'd like to be able to use it with several different bikes.

So, I don't need super precision. I don't need the cummulative odometer. And I don't need it to keep track of cadence or heartrate.

I've no experience at all with GPS units, and therefore no idea if this is feasible - or, if it is, what I should look for in a unit, which units work well, etc.

Thanks,
-Charles
Quote Reply
Re: GPS unit instead of a standard bike computer? [urbanrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have recently started using a Garmin Etrex GPS unit on my mountain bike. I think it works well, as there is a simple mounting bracket the Garmin makes to attach the unit the handlebars.

I personally like using the GPS over a normal cycling computer for the mountain bike because there are so many variances in tire sizes that I never really thought that the normal computer could ever be accurately calibrated. One of the nice features about the Garmin unit is that it has a "time moving" counter, which keeps track how much you were actually moving. As a bonus, if you get lost in somewhere, it does "breadcrumb" tracking and you can backtrack.

The units are coming down in price now, but if you want to have detailed maps of streets or elevation, then you have to purchase their mapsource program, which can easily run $100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a garmin forerunner (w/o HRM) last year and I wasn't pleased with it. I live in the NYC metro NY area and it very often could not get a clear signal....

It was very hit and miss depending on weather and a bunch of other factors

If you ride the same route over and over again, you'll definitely be able to figure it out but unless you live in an area where the signal is always good, I think a well calibrated mechanical device is probably better.

</*I'm not slow, I'm a better than average Clydesdale*\>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If that's the accuracy you want, than I don't see a problem with the GPS... however it does seem like overkill. You can get a basic computer that'll give you the data you want for under $20. I got my bike computer for $35 CDN and it has cadence.

The only reason I can see this being a being reasonable is if you're going to use the GPS for running (and get the garmin or Timex speed+distance one) and just don't want a bike computer. Regardless, a simple bike computer is very inexpensive, and a whole lot more accurate than GPS, especially somewhere where buildings or trees are going to interfere with the signal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's feasible if you have a clear view of the southern sky ( for the northern hemisphere) at all times during your ride. If you just want those basic functions, why not just buy a basic bike computer for a small fraction of the price of a GPS and it will be more reliable and accurate. GPS is good if you want to know where you are and where you need to go but is serious overkill if you want just speed, and distance.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS unit instead of a standard bike computer? [nickc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply] GPS is good if you want to know where you are and where you need to go but is serious overkill if you want just speed, and distance.[/reply]

ok, i guess i should clarify:
i listed the basic bike-computer-ish stuff that i'd want out of the GPS. But that's not _why_ I want the GPS. The reason for getting the GPS would indeed be to know where i'm going, where i am, how to get home, etc., as well as to be able to plan routes, share routes, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Garmin 301 that use for both my bike and for running. It has a heart rate monitor and all of the features you said you would like to have. The only draw back is when you are riding in canyons or on streets with heavy tree cover - the system looses it signal in those cases. I find this to be annoying but only a minor inconcenience.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS unit instead of a standard bike computer? [rhodes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the timex speed and distance performance monitor and though I find it usefull for running I still prefer having bike mounted computer that also shows cadence etc.

I've found the gps prety reliable even with tree cover, tho due to the sample rate if the course is very twisty the accuracy goes down.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Re: GPS unit instead of a standard bike computer? [paulgraham.ca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got to agree.

What I demand in a bike computer:
  • Speed
  • Distance
  • Cadence (even though I've got a pretty good feel for cadence, accurate cadence info w/ HR are the most important bits of info for me when riding.)

HR would be nice too, but I prefer wireless and have yet to see a bike computer that has wireless speed, HR and cadence (speed and cadence - yes, speed and HR - yes, but not all three). If there's one out there, please let me know, as I'd like to be able to dump my HR monitor.

I have a Forerunner, but it doesn't give me cadence. Thus, I only use it when running.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS unit instead of a standard bike computer? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe there is another thread about Polar's bike computer that can do wireless speed, cadence and HR... there were some reports of people having issues downloading the data, but everything else seems to work properly.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS unit instead of a standard bike computer? [paulgraham.ca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's right. I feel even more stupid now since I own one. Duh! My problem with the Polar was the size of the display and the fact that you could only display two items at one time, with HR one of them. Plus, the sensors that send the data to the watch were a bit too large.
Quote Reply
Re: GPS unit instead of a standard bike computer? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Garmin edge 305 comes with wireless cadence. The edge is strictly for the bike though.
Quote Reply