Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Body rotation - how to [reggiedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I feel the left hip rotate up and that pulls the right hand back and vice versa. I feel the thumb brush the hip on the way out of the water, but the hip is already up.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Body rotation - how to [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try swimming with a pull bouy but without paddles. try your best not to kick at all. dont cross your legs, just let them dangle and see how it is a lot easier to rotate your body.
Quote Reply
Re: Body rotation - how to [Dreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dreamer,

Play with the asymetrical kick strong 1 easier 2-3 strong 1 easier 2-3 and notice the feel you get as you swim.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Body rotation - how to [swimfan77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not do any pulling at all (personal preference). I want to feel my legs involved in the swim. I feel that your kick sets up the rhythm for the stroke.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Body rotation - how to [reggiedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your hip should be open way before your hand get there. If you sweep you hand up at the end of the stroke it will drive you hip back into the water (action-reaction).

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Body rotation - how to [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aztec,

Your hand should enter the water somewhat across from your opposite elbow. The only way you can do this is if you have a high elbow recovery. As it is extending the opposite arm is pulling immediately. Your head leads the arm back into the water allowing you to see the extended arm. Your stroke will be even on both sides.

There is always a slight catch up in your stroke.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Body rotation - how to [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Listen to the music. feel the rhythm.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Body rotation - how to [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES!

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't visuallize this?? Or maybe I'm truly not following what you're saying. You're saying that my left hand should enter the water at the same point (laterally) where my elbow is in front of my head. This doesn't seem possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Body rotation - how to [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My swimming and knowledge is always in a state of flux. I find that there is so much more to learn in swimming. The thought of a "difinitive work" is a bit distressing. I am sure that Emett Hines has a great a deal to offer the swimming world.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Body rotation - how to [Burt'sH2OBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burt,

It only works with a high elbow recovery with you hand close to the water. If your arms swings out of the water on recovery it will not work.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe i'm not understanding but i still don't see it even with high elbow and hand close to the water. Correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying that essentially both of my arms/elbows should be forward at the same time? That's the only way I see it in order for my hand to be entering the water at the same point of my opposite elbow. That just seems mechanically impossible for a proper stroke. Am I totally missing something?
Quote Reply
Re: Body rotation - how to [Burt'sH2OBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burt,

Stand in front a mirror bent at your waist. Extend one arm in front of your shoulder. Start the other arm by your waist. Now lift your arm shoulder first then elbow. Your finger tips are pointing downward. Bring your arm forward until it is in line with your opposite elbow. If you were in the water now your hips would be squared off. The entering arm continues to move forward as your oppisite hip opens pulling the extended arm back. Think of cross countryskiing. As one arm moves forward the other moves backward. Hips are always rotating. Being on your stomach is a point in hip rotation.

DougStern
Quote Reply

Prev Next