Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

a disc in 'cross??
Quote | Reply

is the guy in the back really riding a disc or am i just seeing things?!?!
Quote Reply
Re: a disc in 'cross?? [ncrunner24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: a disc in 'cross?? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]illegal[/reply]

???

really? just curiuos what rule makes it illegal...

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's legal.
Quote Reply
Re: a disc in 'cross?? [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I meant UCI legal, the same rule that is held in such high regard when folks determine their TT frame choice despite less than 0.1% of them ever needing to abide by the restriction.

UCI Rule:

But yes, in the context of that picture, he's not breaking the law.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.1%? ...

My thoughts:

Having a UCI legal bike is required for most of the master guys I train with and our masters team, here's why:

1. Masters Worlds requires a UCI legal TT bike, and we send guys there every year

2. Going for a record at Moriarty requires a UCI legal TT bike, we have record attempts every year by our members

3. USCF can (and likely will) adhere to UCI bike rules in the near future, with little notice, so choosing legal equipment now is a smart choice for most USCF licensed cyclists, one reason bike manufacturers are making UCI legal products and phasing out UCI-illegal products

Most domestic triathletes never need to be concerned with UCI rules ... however, bike racers should be
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so you're telling me i should pull that cross tubular off my disc now before the glue dries??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would there be any advantage to actually using this in a 'cross race? I've never done cyclocross, but it seems like a useless toy to have for that style of race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder how a disc does in the mud?

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Wonder how a disc does in the mud?

:)[/reply]

I think a disc is useless in cross, but as far as how it "does in the mud"... great for the same reason 404's are great because the mud cannot seep around the rim and get in between the spokes and pack on the rim.

And regardless of how many peeps YOUR team sends to UCI sanctioned races, it's a concern for less than one percent of the regular peeps...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are part of the .1%

I guess my comment included you, the small minority. I've done UCI events with a questionable position and never been measured or tested.

Again, your club represents .1% of the buying public. Most of us needn't ahere, let alone be aware of such rules.

I guess my point was that the disc wheel is technically illegal, you say it is legal. In the UCI sense it is illegal, for 99.9% of us it doesn't matter. You seem to be arguing both sides here.

Now, are you saying the wheel is LEGAL for 'cross, but we should all keep our aspect ratios to 3:1?

-SD

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I meant that the disc is USCF legal, I realize that it does not have enough spokes for mass start UCI racing, but you can roll that in a domestic race

And I agree, what is the point of these rules if the officials don't enforce the minor rules for 99% of racers (minor meaning tubing width, position, fork blade width, etc.)?

After all, isn't bicycle racing supposed to be about having fun?

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the USCF is only one rule change from being in total complience with UCI on bikes, wheels, and rules. I am not sure that will ever happen, but with the USCF like the UCI you never know what the next board will try and do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Farmers love discs in the mud...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard that deep section wheels hold a line in sand and mud better, but I would think a disk would be too heavy and certainly cross is one race where you are accelerating a lot.

As far as rules I'm glad that the USCF is liberal until you get to championship racing. Nothing will kill a beginers interest more than shwing up at a race and being DQd for a minor equipment rule.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howdy,

I just saw this when I was doing a search for something else...

That's Paul Curley, and it's a cover on a spoked wheel, and he runs that setup for everything; road, cross, track, crit... you name it.

It's actually a pretty light weight wheel.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: a disc in 'cross?? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
note to D.A., et al. :

if paul curley rides it in 'cross it rules for 'cross.
Quote Reply
Re: a disc in 'cross?? [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]note to D.A., et al. :

if paul curley rides it in 'cross it rules for 'cross.[/reply]

Hey... I wasn't doggin' the old guy and his disc... it's just that I don't generate sufficient power to ride with one in cross... light is right for me ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: a disc in 'cross?? [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I finally clicked on the picture to enlarge it, and I see the stars and stripes, I realize that looks a little like Paul Curley (I wasn't sure because I couldn't see the helmet rear view mirror, looks geeky until he slams the door in your face when you are trying to sneak between him and the barricades in a crit). If he's doing it, then it's okay by me. Not that it ever wasn't, I think I have seen it a few times over the years, didn't do it myself because I just never thought enough about it to try.

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply