Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hills at Ralph's (Ford) HIM / Question for SoCal folks [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A female friend of mine said at last year's race, when she started climbing the hill, another woman screamed out, "C'mon ladies, if we can give birth, we can get up this fk'n hill!"

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Hills at Ralph's (Ford) HIM / Question for SoCal folks [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, ha. LOVE that! BTW, that is westbound, so there should be a nice headwind heading up that hill just to make it a bit more interesting!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Last edited by: TriBodyboarder: Feb 15, 06 15:26
Quote Reply
Re: Hills at Ralph's (Ford) HIM / Question for SoCal folks [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just in case, and considering my much advanced age, my older son took the liberty of ordering an FSA compact crank for me to install before the race. Half Speed, thanks a lot for the picture. Makes it look quite not so bad....By the way, I have noticed in the section of the IM California website that there are a lot of 50 year olds in our group. Makes me shake and shiver to think about all you younger guys out there with us silver hairs. I hate to get run over on the swim, so I think I'll just let all you youngsters fight it out up front and I'll build up momentum eventually. Thanks to all of you for really frightening me with comparisons of La Jolla etc. I've been up a few of those but it's been quite a few years. Well, maybe the beach shuffle at the end will be some fun at least. Mmmm, chicken broth.....

Neil
Quote Reply
Re: Hills at Ralph's (Ford) HIM / Question for SoCal folks [Old man driving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest thing to realize for success at Ford/Ralph's, is not about the hill, it's about control. Your first 30 miles will be almost pancake flat! Then you will hit that hill, and 2 other sizeable hills after it, with plenty of rolling sections between them. If you go ridiculously for the first 25-30 miles, you're going to pay for it after the climbs. Last year I crossed 25 miles in under 1 hour, and ended up with a 2:28 bike split. Did I go out too fast? No! The 2nd half is just tough as hell, as a whole. Be quick, but controlled for the first half of the bike. Let it rip the second over the hills. That's my advice. You don't need to seek out any specific hills, you just need to do your training on all sorts of terrain, and learn to pace yourself well. Might be a good idea to do a ride that starts on flat and finishes with climbs and hills. Best of luck...

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Hills at Ralph's (Ford) HIM / Question for SoCal folks [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J,

Some people on this forum charge money for this kind of info and call it "coaching".... ;-)

You might cross some of them while spreading those "secrets" :-)

On the other hand, lots of people will take it out too hard again (whatever you tell them)....

adrialin

(BOMK, racing drug and supplement free since 1985)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not a hill. It's an undulation in the road---or even a speed bump.

=====================================
"Yeah you point a finger back far enough and some germ gets blamed for splitting in two."

Colonel Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica
Quote Reply

Prev Next