Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Living & Training in Los Cabos?
Quote | Reply
Anybody living and training in Southern Baja California?? Los Cabos, Todos Santos or around there?

Considering making a move there semi-permanently (from Spain)

Is it possible to find good run and cycling routes?

And obviously, is it safe (traffic, violence, what not) to be outside the bigger cities, running or cycling?

And finally, are there any local Tri-clubs or weekend warrior-cyclist group rides?

Thanks a bunch on advice here. Any input is super valid and appreciated!

T
Last edited by: Mulen: Jul 15, 19 18:53
Quote Reply
Re: Living & Training in Los Cabos? [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would thing Cabos would suck for riding at the very least, probably running too. Dont know the pool situation, but a huge salt water one right out the door. Todos Santos would be a lot nicer, I believe they just finished a huge freeway from there to Cabo recently. Your best bet would be to get into gravel riding, that is what most the roads are suited for. Lots of year round ocean swimming because the water stays pretty warm, but not sure about the Tri scene there. Perhaps someone who lives there and trains triple sport can chime in here..

I dream about moving to Todos Santos sometimes, far enough away from Cabo, but still old style Mexican Baja feel..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someday my husband and I will probably become ex pats (or semi) and Spain is a place we want to check out for cycling, sun and low-stress living (we are remote workers). Lanzorate and Mallorca look awesome but we haven't been yet. I live vicariously through Instagram and YouTube in the winters wishing I was at Club La Santa or cycling through the mountains of Mallorca. This is when we have 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Sorry this doesn't answer your question. I hope someone has some good advice for you. I just thought it was funny because I'd love to move to Spain :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there for a week when they had the IM. The only paved roads worth riding are highways. No bueno. Swimming and running would be fine.

Beautiful area and great people, good food.

🎣
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there for the Half 2 years ago, and they have tri clubs in the area. So, I would think that they have training areas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got back from a 10 day holiday down there last night - spent most of the time in the Hotel Corridor but went up to Cerritos / Todos Santos for a couple of days. In the t10 days there we saw all of 2 road cyclists and although the newish double lane road from Cabo to Cerritos is reasonable for cars not sure i'd ride it to often. I dont belive the road infrastructure is sufficient for serious cycling and although not looking, i didnt come across any public pools however plenty of ocean!! From a Tourist perspective Todos Santos was very very disappointing though loved Cerittos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to Los Cabos 2x, one time for the IM. Loved the people and the food, but the country is a mess. Just not well run IMO, scams attempted left and right, and then there is an occasional flare up of the gang violence.

Swimming - the ocean is probably the best option. Although it gets rough in Spring.
Cycling - eh.... slim pickings, at least near Cabo. The highway between 2 Cabos is rideable but not enjoyable for riding.
Running - lots of options. Trails, streets, etc.

There is a FB group for the Cabo 70.3. Check it out, I recall that there was at least 1 ex-pat lady from the States that was a part of some sort of a tri-team.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I been vacationing there for 25 years. I wouldnt consider it an option for a full time triathlete. For retiring you would probably want to live in San Jose Del Cabo which is the town near the airport. Todos Santos is pretty isolated and not much there. The town of Cabo has urban sprawl and its a total clusterfuck. just stay away. No proper swimming pools for training and no roads to ride but just the main highway. I like the fishing there and there are plenty of outdoor activity options just a little hot from July to early Oct. At one point I had mexico at the top of my list to retire but as I have gotten older its lost its appeal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for loads of good input. I am planning to start with 3 month there, just taking leave from work and will see how it goes :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love San Jose del Cabo. Downtown proper Cabo San Lucas is a no go for me. Let us know how the training goes in that area, I am definitely curious. Todos Santos is a 45 minute drive away and a great area.
Quote Reply
Re: Living & Training in Los Cabos? [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello, I am traveling to Los Cabos in a few weeks. I see that there appears to be some MTB/gravel cycling at an area called Bike Park SanJo MTB - are you familiar with this? Is it MTB, and/or suitable for a gravel bike? Safe? Any decent bike rentals available nearby? Can you trail run or hike there or nearby?

I saw it on this website: https://theagencyloscabos.com/articles/i-bet-you-didnt-know-this-much-about-mountain-biking-in-los-cabos/

Quote Reply
Re: Living & Training in Los Cabos? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldnt expect too much! I was surprised how much of a tourist shithole (sorry) that Los Cabos (mostly San Lucas) is. We spent way more, and way better time up in Todos Santos (less than an hour drive north). Better people, better food, better training opts - felt safer.

The ocean has bumps, so if you are not a strong OW swimmer, don´t go out. I did not see ANY OW swimmers in my time there. Surfers yes.

Best of luck and enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you - but do you have any familiarity with the bike park I listed? I am staying at the Westin close to that, so I'm particularly interested if anyone knows anything about that.
Quote Reply
Re: Living & Training in Los Cabos? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not - try writing them on Facebook (I found them there) and hear if you can even rent a MTB first. Or find a rental elsewhere!

cholla wrote:
Thank you - but do you have any familiarity with the bike park I listed? I am staying at the Westin close to that, so I'm particularly interested if anyone knows anything about that.
Quote Reply