Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Baja
Quote | Reply
Anyone planning on doing this?

Anyone else a little nervous about driving through TJ to get down there? I used to party in TJ when I was in college and too stupid to know any better. Never gave it a thought. And then someone recently brought up that TJ is pretty dangerous now and "run by drug gangs" etc. Hype? I'm not thrilled at the prospect of getting carjacked and losing two rides at once. Though I *am* stoked about possibly finding a pharmacy down there and stocking up on EPO (kidding!).

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Baja [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depending upon how i feel after cal 70.3 i am thinking about this race too. are you near SD? if i do, do it, i will be going with my training partner, the spanish speaking kind. i will let you know after march if we can put a car pool together to go down.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked at that race. I have plenty of friends who go surfing in northern Baja every weekend. Just take it slow, stay on the beaten path, and get on the toll road to Ensenada...oh and get Mexico insurance!
I'm doing the Disney 70.3 the same day over in Florida instead. Maybe do Baja in '07. Good luck if you go!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just drove down as far as Ensenada a few months ago for some surf and cheap tacos...if you stick to the coastal route (1/1A) toll road it's safe. However I was warned by several local type folks not to venture very far inland.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Baja [mayday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries! Getting to Ensenada is easy, you will have a blast.

FYI There is a Costco in Ensenada right off the 101, just like a USA Costco!!!

I have spoken with several Mexican triathletes who are racing and they are all pretty stoked to have the event there...Should be a great event.

I was in TJ, Rosarito, Ensenada, San Vincente, San Pedro Martir, San Felipe etc. last month helping put on an expedition adventure race (Baja Travesia). We were WAY off the beated path, as in NO path.. for hundreds of miles... If you get a chance after the race, and are up for it, the canyons and deserts in Baja are a blast to explore with a 4WD. People in the states don't even know what they're missing. I never had to purify my water, drank right out of waterfalls near Picachu del Diablo. Sick, sick canyons, like nothing we have in the US. 10,000' peaks, 9,000' ranges. Just bring a English-Spanish book and bone up on your spanish ahead of time. Everyone I encountered was friendly, including the armed Federalis at roadblocks. They're mostly 18 yr old kids looking for dope runners. Not triathlete geeks with bikes on their roof.

Good luck!

Sean Clancy

Huntington Beach, CA

--------------------------------------------------
nuun-feedthemachine.com adventure racing team
2008 National Champions
http://www.clancymultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northern Baja/Tijuana is safe. It's only dangerous if you're looking for stuff you oughtn't be looking for. I took my boys on a few trips over the past year. It's a great place. Ensenada is a very nice town. This race could end up being a classic.
Last edited by: Ashburn: Jan 11, 06 21:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope to do it next year.

I lived in Ensenada in 1995-1996 and did an Olympic triathlon put up by the university at the same location.

I just went back there for the holiday and never worried about my safety. Ensenada is not Tijuana. (and even Tijuana is not that bad if you stick to the main paths).

Go for it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My good friend and fellow triathlete just took a 3 week trip down the length of Baja. He made no prior plans, just took his time and explored. He left with about 3 bags of luggage and his bike in the back of a pickup. He had no problems whatsoever and even slept on the beach a couple of nights. He also managed to get some riding in during the trip. He said most of the time there was virtually no one around. He does speak a little Spanish which probably helped.
Last edited by: jaylew: Jan 11, 06 22:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm registered. This will be my second half...following my first at the California 70.3 (Ralphs). I'm going to try to convince some of my friends who are from Mexico to come down with me so I won't be a total fish out of water. I'm kind of bummed I'll be missing the great collegiate prices at Auburn, however.

--Marcus George, President
UCLA Triathlon Team
http://www.triathlon.ucla.edu
Quote Reply