Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

new HRM
Quote | Reply
hey guys, I have finally began to train with HRM ( I know, how late huh?).... I got a polar Rs200sd with the footpod for running, and for cycling functions just use an astrale. I have a question about how all these gadgets can be used for my training. First, can the HRM be used for swimming? I have never worn a watch or the strap for swimming, and for training its ok, but in a tri I would like to not have to put it on in T1. Also, where do I find the polar UPLINK tool, to transfer data to the watch from the computer. Finally, I have found that training at my normal levels, which I have trained at for years, I am often at high level 3 and 4. It says that level 4 should be used very sparingly for anaeoribic efforts, but my long training often hits that high. I think perhaps it could be a problem with how the computer is calculating those zones, using 220-age(16) and getting funky values because of my young age...

Finally, how do I use cadence to help my training?? I have the data, now what??

Thanks guys!
Quote Reply
Re: new HRM [moose8500] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using your HRM in the water should be no problem, although, for training, it's usually just as easy to take your pulse and look at the pace clock.

From what I understand, the RS series watches use SonicLink to communicate, so to upload to your watch, you have to hold it up to the speakers of your PC.

Forget what the watch calculates for your zones, do a step test on your bike and on a treadmill to determine YOUR LTHR and Max HR.

For cadence, note where you currently ride. < 80, > 90. It's generally accepted that higher cadences are better for triathletes. Work to increase your normal cadence to about 90. You can also do cadence workouts where you work at lower cadences for strength, or higher cadences ( > 100 ) to increase you cadence.
Quote Reply
Re: new HRM [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot man.... Could you sorta explain a little about the tests you suggested : lactic threshold and max... Would I then program those values into the HRM??? I would set up the zones based on percentages of my max??? How would I set the lactic threshold into the watch?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found HR's to vary greatly. When I was 16 I bought a HR moniter and was discouraged because my HR was always way higher than everybody elses.. so I rarely used it... fast forward 11 years, I just bought a new HR moniter and now that I have actually done the tests that Eric is talking about and understand them - a HR moniter is probably_THE_most useful tool that you can use in training. Make sure you figure out the zones properly. If I would have used the 220 - age thing my max HR would now be 192. In reality I can hit 200 no problem and I have been as high as 208 in the last month. I know i could hit 215 if I pinned it (don't know why i'd want to in training) but the point is. Figure out the zones on your own.

http://j-motrilife.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: new HRM [j-mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
excellent... This is great, because I have also been worried about my high heart rate values, at intensities which I have trained at for years. So how do I do those tests???

PS: Also cool that you started endurance sports when 16, as I am 17 and just getting underway in getting more competitive and longer distances. Any suggestions for first half I/Ms???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few different tests you can do. The step test, or Conconi test is one I use.

It is very helpful to have someone help you with the test, writing down numbers, observing your breathing etc.

If you can get access to a Computrainer, it's the best way to get wattage #'s to associate with your thresholds also.

1) Warmup for 10-20 minutes
2) Put the CT in Erg mode @ 50 watts (Since the gear doesn't matter, pick one with a nice straight chain line)
3) Every minute, note your watts, HR, and RPE (this is where an assistant helps), and increase wattage by 20 watts
4) Make note of when your breathing patterns change.
5) Keep going until you are about to fall off the bike from exhaustion.
6) Chart your results

Your HR should have increased fairly linearly for a while, and then shoot up quickly. That point is approximately your AT or LTHR.

You can do something similary on the treadmill, increasing the incline.
Quote Reply
Re: new HRM [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, cool.... If I don't have a trainer or a computrainer, the best for me would be on a treadmill right??? Do I put it at a certain speed and then go increasing the incline??? And I chart my HR every minute, till ir drastically shoots up???

If that determines my threshold, how do I get my MAX to program into my HRM???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LT HR is different between bike and run.

you could use HR during a 40 K TT (bike) as your LT HR, or 10 2nd half of a max 10 K run. Keep in mind that in a race, HRs are typically a bit higher than for the same effort in training. This is important for both pacing during a race, and for determining LT HR.

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply