Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need some advice on Vision base bars
Quote | Reply
I just got a Vision base bar and I thought my Cane Creek Carbon TT levers would fit on them, but they don't. So now I've got to get some new levers. For those of you that have that base bar, what ones do you recommend? I've heard the Vision levers are not comfortable at all. Tektro? Profile Quickstops?
Quote Reply
Re: Need some advice on Vision base bars [KarstenKB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have your answer, but do a search. I know this has been covered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is not working with the Cane Creek Carbons and Vision Bars? I have both of these on my bike and it when together without an issue.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Need some advice on Vision base bars [jmhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bar end on the vision base bar is 19.3 mm and the flange on the CC lever is 21.3 mm. It looks like I could maybe bend/compress the flange a little more compact so that *may* fit in the base bar, but I don't really want to take the chance of any irreversable damage. I previously had the CCs in a wider bar, so maybe the flange has been bent into a more spread position from being on the larger bars for so long? If you say they work, then I'm sure I just need to squeeze that flange a bit to get it in. I've tried a bit, but it just seems risky trying to bend them down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem. I contacted VT and was amazed by their refreshing bluntness. They told me, "of course they don't fit. We want you to buy our brakes." They did also mention some other brakes that will work, but they stressed that theirs were the lightest and the best (that would fit). I believe they mentioned that there are some Dia Compe levers that will also work.

I'm curious about your question regarding comfort of the VT brakes. Do you do long descents on your tri bike? I've been riding with mine for a bit over a month now and I don't have any problem with the comfort of the brakes. They work well and they really look sharp. They don't feel like brakes you'd want to have your hands on for long periods, but I can't imagine when I'd want/need to do that.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there some sort of adaptor sleeve on the end of the brakes that you could remove. I just got VTs as well and had to do that and it fit right in.
Quote Reply
Re: Need some advice on Vision base bars [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on jmhtx's account, I decided to go ahead and try to "persuade" the flange to fit a bit by compressing it and slightly bending the metal a bit. It worked and now fits in nice and secure. It must have just stretched out to the larger size since it was in a different/larger bar for so long. I was just hesitant to try it since I didn't want to ruin a nice pair of levers. Thanks for the advice and putting up with my stupidity. Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Need some advice on Vision base bars [dustdevil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had already removed the adaptor sleeve. With that one, it was like 24mm or something. Way too big. See previous post for solution I found.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had Vision levers on my Vision base bar all last summer and never found them uncomfortable. After I purchased them and had not installed them I read some criticism of their comfort but after riding them I wonder whose hands are so soft that the lever causes discomfort? You would really have to be gripping the lever very hard and for a long period of time for them to feel much different (except for the short length) than any other levers. I like mine and they do look cool :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did your Cane Creek Lever come with a shim for larger diameter bars? Mine came with a shim for each lever to make it fit a larger diameter bar. I wonder if this was a recent change.

The instruction manual says they fit bars with a diameter of 18.9 to 20.6.

Here is a link to the instuctions:

http://www.canecreek.com/...nstr_04-12-2005c.pdf

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the whole visiontech base bar and brake system on my QR and I love them. they are comfortable, light, and very quick to respond when braking. some people on here will comlain about anything. I would highly recomend them and they look very cool with the whole system

GO4 SMOOOOOOTH AND FAST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just need to ream them out a c-hair. You'll need an adjustable ream, a little cutting fluid and 10 minutes. I would think most bike shops could do it. I do it all the time.

Greg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The VT levers are just fine for a tri/TT bike. Not too narrow or uncomfortable for daily use, and the do look purty. Only thing I would like to have is a return spring in the lever, but otherwise no complaints.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dia-comps work.

Nothing flashy, but they are a cheap, comfortable alternative to the Vision brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Need some advice on Vision base bars [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the VT lever the only one that is a "clamp-on" type lever? It looks like it to me from the pictures, but it's hard to tell. I was thinking about using the VT bar and levers because I thought I could find a way to put the D/A bar end shifters through the center. Can you remove the little cap over the end of the bar and put the shift levers through there?

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Need some advice on Vision base bars [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had wondered the same thing my self (though, I really didn't have a use for that set-up.)
In theory, yah I'd think it would work.
They managed to rig (I believe ti was basso's) aerobars up with one, so it might work.
Give it a shot (un less someone on here objects.)
Quote Reply