Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is it worth me swimming more?
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys,

I need a bit of advice regarding my swim training. A bit of backgroud. Started swimming in 2003. Did my first IM in 2004 and swam 1h07 on an average of 8km per week for the six months leading upto the race. I also did IMC 2005 and swam 1h05 on an average of 7km per week.

I have just started training for IM CdA in June and was wondering what you guys would recommend I do as regards swimming. I realise my times are fairly average and I would like to improve them but would it require a huge training time investment for a small gain? Should I just settle for what I've got and focus more on the bike and run?

Any advice appreciated

Tom.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it worth me swimming more? [tommo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sort of depends on your bike and run performances. If they were lacking, it may make sense to devote more time to those. I have heard from many people that you don't want to run too much, as you need to allow for recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Straight from the top:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=658059;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my first IM in 2004 and swam 1h07 on an average of 8km per week for the six months leading upto the race. I also did IMC 2005 and swam 1h05 on an average of 7km per week.

If you get your training down to 4km, you will finish in 59 minutes:)

At this point, relatively close to CDA, you may want to invest your time in cycling/running. If you are looking to improve in the long run, you should work on swimming more frequently, assuming you are only swimming 3-4 times per week.

It is a tradeoff and clearly, the largest gains are going to come from cycling. The focus on cycling will allow you to improve on the bike, and just as importantly, at a given effort, allow you to be less fatigued on the run.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply