Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heart rate questions
Quote | Reply
Stick with me, this will take a second. I am training for my first IM using Joe and Gordo's book Going Long. I have been Prep training since my last race in Sept, and recently did the LTHR 30 min test on the bike. I am 38, and come from a competitive swimming background (did "distance"), and my heart rate averaged 179 for the last 20 min of the test. This seems all wrong to me, I should not be averaging a number that is theoretically my maximum heart rate. I also ran a half-marathon last spring (1:22) with roughly the same number. I've done a manual pulse and the HRM is within 1% of accuracy. Anyone know if this is good or bad?
Quote Reply
Re: Heart rate questions [madman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no way your max HR is 179. This is your LT. You have the same LT as me and the same half marathon time. Don't go by theoretical max HR calculations---they are frequently wrong. I'm not positive about what my max HR is but I think it's around 194-198. ---but that's based on the fit test on my Polar HRM--and I don't think that's entirely accurate. I am 30 years old. Don't worry so much about max HR. Your LT is a more important number to know. Gordo talks about this in his book. Go to the section with the charts of HRs and corresponding zones for bike and run. The LT is in bold---line up your LT and you can see what your zones should be.

Good luck.

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The prediction formulas don't seem to work. I'm 40+ & my Max HR is 192

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Re: Heart rate questions [Spindogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank-you, I thought something was wrong with me (besides the obvious). Nice to know I'm not in imminent peril.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Throw the 220-age formula out.

Use the LTHR that you tested at and set your training zones. Test again in a month.

Remember that HR is just one indicator of intensity. You can use pace, perceived exertion, and power too.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Heart rate questions [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate everyone's help, I'll stick with the LTHR and continue to test according to plan.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your max HR is the highest number of times your heart can contract in one minute. In other words, it is what it is. Every individual has a different max HR and the range, even among well conditioned endurance athletes is pretty wide.

There are 2 ways to come up with your max HR.

1) Make a semi educated guess -- i.e. use one of the formulas; or

2) Find out for yourself by wearing a HRM and do some sort of test workout.

If you are working out an seeing 179 for long periods, the "220 - Age" formula is obviously not very accurate in your case. Believe what you see not what some off the cuff generic formula says.

FWIW, I'm 44 so the the formula says my max is 176. Yet, my actual observed max is in the low 190's and I can hold in the low 170's for long stretches.

I'll have to say though it does really suck when you finally bite the bullet and use the real number to calculate your training ranges ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar question recently and these answers are consistent with what I learned. As an example, I did a 20 minute threshold run this morning and my HR avg. was 185. I'm 35, so by the 220 formula, this was my max HR. But I know my max HR is around 200 because I've seen it get that high. I now think my lactate threshold is 180-185.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart rate questions [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I'll second the throw the formula out. Just did a 5 mile race this Sat: Polar read average of 194 with 202 max. I'm 36: fit, but not that fit (i.e. you can "train" those numbers up). Legs were heavy - definited use you lactate threshold numbers.

Quote | Reply
Gale Burnhardt's Training Plans for Multisport Athletes indicates that average HR of a 5K running race is 105% of lactic threshold. With this knowledge, she offers some tables to determine all of the HR zones. Her charts are the same as J. Friel's except she doesn't indicate (at least not that I could find) to use the low number of the 5a range to establish your specific zones. You should choose the low number of the 5a range for your lactic threshold (LT) when using the chart. There are similar methods for using a bike TT heart rate to establish LT. Your bike LT and max HR will usually be 5 to 10 beats slower than your run HR.

I think the general public method of 220 minus age is pretty useless for athlete training purposes. I am 50 and my 5k race average HR was 179 and I saw 189 at the end of the 5k race. I know others my age with higher heart rates. HR seems to be unique to the individual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You ran a 1/2 in 1:22? Damn that's fast. You don't have time to worry about your heart rate. And, you should consider training with pace and power instead.

I'm 42. My max is 209 and I can hold 183 bpm for two hours when rested and motivated. I don't like to. But, I can and have.

Accept the results of the "last 20' of 30'" tests for running and cycling. Retest in 4 to 8 weeks. Retest more often if the results change more than a few beats per minute.

-jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want
Quote Reply