Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running at LAX
Quote | Reply
I have an 8 hour lay over at LAX on saturday before flying to Australia and would love to get a run in before being cooped up for 18 hours. I've never been to that area and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is feasible. Specifically are the facilities for cleaning up after running. I'd be ok doing laps of the parking lot but I think my fellow passengers would appreciate it if I was able to shower after.
Quote Reply
Re: Running at LAX [Scottgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about facilities at LAX for getting clean afterwards, but LAX is right on the coast (although the terminals themselves are a couple of miles from the coast). The coastal path is quite pleasant - or take a cab and go further afield - I've run around Santa Monica and Redondo Beach areas.

Check thes sites for info on LAX
http://www.iflylax.com
http://www.lawa.org/lax/welcomeLAX.cfm

Doug in London
Quote Reply
Re: Running at LAX [doug_steel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a look at the faq for LAX and it looks like you are out of luck as far as showers go unless you can blag your way into one of the exec lounges

http://www.lawa.org/lax/travelerInfoFAQs.cfm#q9
"Does LAX have shower or exercise facilities I can use during a layover?

While LAX does not offer shower or exercise facilities, some gymnasiums are located near the airport. Check local phone listings to find more information. You will need ground transportation to visit one of these sites.

In addition, many airport-area hotels offer discount rates for their exercise facilities. Airport-area hotels can be found at www.lawa.org/lax/default.cfm. Once at that site, click on the Hotels tab on the left-hand side of the page. Then, when you get to the page listing all of the LAX-area hotels, you can click on any one of the hotel names for contact information."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leave your stuff somewhere safe at the airport, then catch a cab straight down Imperial Hwy to Dockweiler beach. It should take only 5 to 10 minutes. There is a bike path there that goes north or south. I would suggest south, that takes you to Manhattan beach, and further on, Hermosa and Redondo Beach. North will take you to Playa Del Rey and Venice. There are public restrooms around that you can take a shower in, at the least a sink shower, and if you have to take your wallet or cell phone, leave them with a lifeguard, DON'T leave them on this beach, they will be gone when you get back....Have fun.....
Quote Reply
Re: Running at LAX [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are outdoor showers at Playa del Rey - where Culver Blvd hits the beach (maybe a mile north of Imperial Hwy). Follow Monty's instructions, take your shower at Playa, then take the cab back to the airport.

But: Make sure you have a cell phone or money for a pay phone. You'll never find a cruising cab in LA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spend some time at Spectrum Club (www.spectrumclubs.com 310-643-7978). Closest locations are either South Bay or Culver City. A short 3-4 mile taxi ride off Rosecrans located at 2250 Park Place in El Segundo. Or the Culver City location, which is ~ 2.5 or so. Saturday hours are 0700-1900 (7a-7p).

You can run, lift, shower, shave, freshen up, eat and drink, sauna, get massage'd, do aerobics, Spin, blah, blah.. before your flight to Oz.

If it's something you'd like to try, PM me I'll leave a 'guest pass' for you at the front desk.

You might consider a website I use while traveling: www.elayover.com. Highlighted there are short blurbs on the Hilton's 24 Hour Fitness Facility on Century (you can take the Hilton Hotel Airport Shuttle direct). If you're a gym affiliate member, you may use their facilities for a $10.00 fee. The Spectrum Culver City (310.216.3060) location is also mentioned; same highlights but I can leave a 'guest pass' for you.

Enjoy your time in LA.

- kd

kestrel driver

DonorsChoose.org (!!!)
bogolight.com (!!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I just read in a travel magazine that the Airport Hilton, which is a few blocks down Century Blvd from the terminals, has a pretty nice gym facility and a daily drop-in rate of $5-10.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Running at LAX [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Westchester YMCA is also fairly close to the airport (about a mile away). They've got a web site (google them).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unless you have access to a bed to lay in for 6 hours of recovery, running may not be the best idea before sitting cramped on a super long flight. as a very experienced traveler, i would highly recommend against it.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is a 24 hour fitness very near the airport. You can shower, lift, do treadmill, stepper. Or do the Dockweiler beach thing and hit the 24 hr fitness after.

24hourfitness.com The club is 2.3 miles straight east on Century Blvd. (The entrance to the Airport is from Century.)

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Last edited by: docfuel: Jan 2, 06 21:30
Quote Reply