Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clydesdales Wheels
Quote | Reply
I just blew out two rear spokes on a new rear wheel. I am 6'6'' and 223 pounds. For safety sake, what do larger veteran triathletes use for training/race wheels?

a. Same as everyone else and pray for the best?

b. Beefed up wheel? ( Like a ZIPP Clydesdale)

c. Or??
Quote Reply
Re: Clydesdales Wheels [IronMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'2'' and usually a little over 200lbs. I chose a Hed3 rear. Strong enough for every day training and fast enough to race on.

=====================================
It's ALL about the bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Clydesdales Wheels [asd99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weight is a part of the factor, but some lighter people are rough on wheels as well. I have weighed as much as you and not that far away now. My 2 cents are for training any 36 hole hub on a Velocity deep V , or even a Mavic open Pro should hold up just fine. I am somewhat wary of low spoke count wheels, but have done ok with Zipp 404. My racing wheels are HED 3 Front and disc rear.

I also train on 25-27 mm tires instead of 23s. I think the volume sucks up some of the hits better. I have had real good luck with Bontrager Hardcase tires. The Spec. Armadillo tires hold up well but to me ride like Flintstone Wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I just blew out two rear spokes on a new rear wheel. I am 6'6'' and 223 pounds. For safety sake, what do larger veteran triathletes use for training/race wheels?

a. Same as everyone else and pray for the best?

b. Beefed up wheel? ( Like a ZIPP Clydesdale)

c. Or??

X-LAB 28 or 32 (front)

X-LAB Tri Spoke (rear)

www.airointernational.com

- kd

kestrel driver

DonorsChoose.org (!!!)
bogolight.com (!!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You and I share the same range on the scale and I have been really happy with the following wheels,

H3's bomb proof they make a raelly cool sound under torque 1000+ miles

Easton circuits-For some reason I have had good luck I have about 1000 miles on them and no truing as of yet

velocity deep-28 hole-they have hedl up really well I stopped using them beacuse I wanted something new. 1500-2000 miles

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'3" and weigh anywhere from 205 - 220.

I routinely use my Bontrager wheels with a 23 tire for training. I think they are the Bontrager Lite or X-Lite. They have a spoke count of 24 (back) and 20 (front). I also ride these, as well as Hed 3s, in races. I've never had any problems. I ride a Softride - not sure if that makes any difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced and trained on Mavic Open Pros with Ultegra Hubs for the last few years. Not that Aero wheels don't help, but I had top 10 bike splits in all of the races I did this year (9). So, you don't have to buy race wheels to ride fast. I passed hundreds of people with $1500 wheels.

That said, I would buy the Zipp Clydesdale wheels if I had an extra couple of thousand bucks in my pocket. Hed3's have an excellent reputation with big riders, but what happens if the rim goes out of true???

I weigh 255
Quote Reply
Re: Clydesdales Wheels [bigclyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I understand HED 3's is that the trueness will never change. As the wheel is made there is an range of acceptable level of trueness from HED.

you can buy seconds that are just outside of the tolerance but they never get better or worse they are what they are.

Nothing against Zipp but I would buy HED's Long before anything from zipp, can you call zipp and speak with MR.zipp? to ask about wheel choices and design characteristics?

Since Zipp and Hed share a patent on the stingers---If you are looking at spoked wheels then have a look at the stinger tubies. I spoke with Hed about these and they will build a set up. I am thinking about doing a 50mm front and 60 rear. Plenty beefy

K
Quote Reply
Re: Clydesdales Wheels [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-Man did a better job of explaining this than I could.

It has as much to do with how and where you ride as how much you weigh.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mavic-Open Pros, Ksyriums, even Cosmos seem bombproof. Carbones for race wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am taller than you but the same weight.

I ride 32-spoke Mavic CXP-33's as trainers - they are stronger than Open Pros. But, I have open pros on my fixed gear because they look more the part on that bike.

After tons of research, I went with Hed 3 race wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as were on the subject, any of you Clydesdales have experience with race/ training wheels with power meters?

And thanks for all you replys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very impressed with my Neuvation wheels. Probably the best wheel for the price. The builder says they will handle any rider up to 240 lbs. Have a look at the M28 Aero. It's their most sold wheel.

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/wheels/wheels.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainining wheelset: 36 hole Mavic A719's. Wagon wheels that make OP's look like wet noodles

Racing wheelset: 404 Clydesdales, Renn disk for flats and TT's

-zakk

Death Squad Cycling Club
http://www.ridethedeath.com

"Why is that people will drop $2000 on race wheels and a few c-notes for an ugly tattoo and then balk at the race fee?" - Blackie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a search for a previous thread.....I did and found that the recommendation of my LBS and the recommendation of the thread matched:

32-spoke Mavic CXP-33's - supposed to be nearly bombproof.

At 6'5" and about 210, I've been thru several sets of wheels, most recently Mavic Ksyrium's.

Relax2dmax

"Just remember there is only 2 letters difference between STUD and STUPID." Heard on the course of the 1998 Lost Boys Ultramarathon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Aerospoke web site.
www. Aerospoke.com

They have been making a carbon composite 5 spoke wheels for many years. The wheels are bomb proof, have incredible aerodynamics, but are heavy.

I use them for training and races on flat terrain. I've used an Aerospoke front and disc rear for 4 IM races and 10+ 1/2 IM races. You can pick up a set for under $600 and they will last you a lifetime.

My weight fluctuates between 225 and 250 and the Aerospokes have been my best wheel choice.

FWIW - I also race on Blackwell 58s and have never had a problem. The Clyde-Zipp 404 rear is a good option.

Best of luck.

-Andrew

Ban Wetsuits !! Wetsuitsareforwimps.org/net/gov
Quote Reply
Re: Clydesdales Wheels [super clyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to take issue with the statement made by SuperClyde, if you call into Zipp you very well may talk with 'Mr. Zipp', but since the company isn't named after him most people don't realize it. I always have to laugh when athletes or bike shops tell me about the really intelligent customer service guy with the accent (South African)...since he actually owns the place! We're small enough that everybody answers phones, so your odds of getting him on a tech call are as good as getting me!

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
210 lbs rider.

For training and some racing I use 32 spoke Velocity Deep V rims built up with whatever hubs I could find (Campy front, Ultegra rear). The front wheel has been used for racing, training and cyclocross races (with curb jumps, roots, etc) and has required no truing for well over a year. I am convinced that the extra 100 grams or so of weight in the rim is of no functional consequence compared to my body weight.

TT/Tri/Du Racing - Campy Vento front wheel - Its a Shamal with a few extra spokes. Rear - I use the Velocity and plan to add a CH cover.

David K
Quote Reply