Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RD "Late Fee" Hubris?
Quote | Reply
So there's a sprint duathlon in April, $55 race fee. There is a "late fee" of $5 that starts on 1/2/2006. There are currently 19 people registered. There's also a ~Oly distance triathlon in July, $75, late fee of $10 starting 1/2, also (seven months in advance?), 37 people registered.

Is there a purpose to this "late fee" other than having a de facto $60 race fee?

No real point to this post, I must admit.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: RD "Late Fee" Hubris? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think IMNA was talking about lowering their IM fee's to 225$ with a 200$ late fee that started the day before sign up was available. The 225$ seemed much more reasonable to me. Hey and if you can't sign up on time that's you're problem.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Late fees are used by RD's to help compensate the extra we have to pay for ordering food late, extra charges from timing crews, yada yada.

Those Late fees are a wee bit excessive. IF a race isn't until April, Feb. is pretty soon to be upping the fee. Unless it's a stage thing..."fee is X amount until Feb, then Feb 1-marc 31, it's XX amount."

I sign up godforsaken early for any event and then pray I don't get injured:)

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious. What sprint du are you talking about?

I just checked out the website for this local sprint du in Delaware in April. It is the Brandywine du. Anyway I just noticed it said the current rates are the early bird special until 12/31 and starting 1/1/06 the new prices will be displayed. I wonder what the new prices will be. Is it just $5 more? It did mention a late fee, but that doesn't start until 3/16 or so and that is $10.

I'm wondering because I do a lot of the races piranha-sports puts on. I'm sure the new prices can't be more than $5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should change the spin on it and say it's $60 with a $5 early bird discount till Jan 1.

We have one local race that has $180 early bird registration till Jan 1, $200 till Apr 30 and $235 till race day. Registration opens Sep and the race sells out in under a week. I'm not sure why they don't just say it's $180 since everyone gets the early discount
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Late fees" can also be thought of the other way -- as a discount to get people to commit to that race. Not sure what events that du competes with for registration, but early discounts (or late penalties) are a fairly common tactic in business (eg, the airlines) where they want to lock you in b/c they are in competition with other races/businesses. The sign up figures you quote suggest this strategy is not working in this case.
Quote Reply