Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seat posts..aero or standard?
Quote | Reply
I need of a longer seat post for my road bike and was wondering if people would bother putting an aero seat post in or should i just use a standard round one????
Quote Reply
Re: Seat posts..aero or standard? [6cuda6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think that an aero post makes very much of a difference unless your legs are really skinny so that there is a lot of airflow. Seems to me John Cobb did some testing on this subject a few years back and found that the aero post didn't make very much of a difference. I would buy one if the price wasn't too much different or just for the "coolness" factor of how they look but don't expect your 40k time to drop by a minute :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chances are if you're looking for a replacement because your current post is too short, an aero post would probably only be "aero" for a small percentage of the length exposed, and that part would likely be aerodynamically hidden behind your knees/legs anyway.

I'd look for more important factors in posts, like weight, fore/aft adjustability, reputation, strength, etc. Aero is primarily for looks on this component. Thompson would be a fine choice.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup - just get a Thompson Masterpiece Elite and fuggedaboutit. I've had a USE Alien, Profile Razor Aero, Campy Record Carbon (still have that one), and some other no name carbon. After having one of my carbon posts FAIL - I'll take the Thompson. It is light, strong, relatively inexpensive and easy to adjust, made in the USA and is likely one of the best engineered pieces on my bike.

Re: Seat posts..aero or standard? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup - just get a Thompson Masterpiece Elite

You either got a Masterpiece OR and Elite. They are different models.
Quote Reply
Re: Seat posts..aero or standard? [Zoe's Dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thompsons can and do bend (break) - I have a bent over Thompson that I keep for story telling (hurt my ass BAD and killed a rear wheel to bend it...)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Seat posts..aero or standard? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chip - only you could somehow manage to mangle a Thompson seat post :) Are you sure you just didn't put on the set-back model after a few too many? :0 Now I know why you ride Ti (not that it can't fail) - but I can't imagine you on a thin walled Aluminum or ultralight carbon (i.e. CR1) bike.

Quote | Reply
The real answer depends on how wide your hands are on the bars. Narrow hands, an aero seatpost is a waste. Wide hands, and an aero post is an advantage.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Seat posts..aero or standard? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on that post when I was out there - I hit a HUGE hole and killed it and a wheel couple weeks later - brusies on my butt lasted a week.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seems like the seat would absorb the shock required to bend it (if you are talking about the shaft) , unless you broke the seat and it went up . . . .

I have thomson on 4 bikes, reliable to this point and easy to use - kind of plain by todays standards.

I know one larger rider in my area that likes aero posts because his legs don't rub on the post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thompsons can and do bend (break) - I have a bent over Thompson that I keep for story telling (hurt my ass BAD and killed a rear wheel to bend it...)

Man, I read this post too fast and all I picked up was "...bent over...hurt my ass BAD"

I need to clean up my keyboard from the coffee I spit onto it.
Quote Reply