Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Should I endeavor to radically increase my cadence this year? If so, any practical advice for how to do it safely and effectively? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, thank you for the detailed, comprehensive answer. This is exactly what I was looking for! (in addition to all the good old Slowtwitch chatter about bikes and racing and stuff)

ianpeace wrote:
Hey Mr DJ...Thanks posting, it's a good question and I want to try and give you a comprehensive answer.

I'm not into math....but even left brain guy like me can understand this equation: Cadence x Torque = Power. Some might wanna argue pedal speed but let's keep it basic for the sake of this discussion.

If you're hanging at 75rpm and making good power then one area where you can improve your performance would be with developing a bit more fluidity in your circle. Should you radically increase your cadence? To quoat Coggan, No! Must of us triathletes (read: humans) shouldn't radically change anything we're doing as it'll probably result in injury - better that you progressively/slightly increase your cadence over time.

As to how you might do that....
Do a 45min training ride once a week we'll call Spin-ups - 10min easy warm. 5min steady and moderate then do 10x 30 sec Spinups with 90sec easy between them. Spinup - Leave the bike in a gear that's comfy and at your normal cadence and then, for 15 seconds progressively, smoothly increase your cadence to a place that is your fastest possible spin BUT still smooth in the saddle. Then hold that for 15 seconds. Bring it on down to your normal, comfy cadence for 90sec between 'em. Finish with 10min easy spin. This is an easy workout so you can wedge into your training program almost anywhere. This is a neuromuscular workout - your improving how your brain talks to your muscles so you'll probably improve quickly - as you improve you'll find that your smooth spin becomes faster and if you want to add more challenge then hold the fast/smooth spin for 20, 30+ seconds before backing down.

Also, I think some off-footers might help early on. Again, 45min, on the trainer same warm up as above (10min easy, 5min steady, moderate), Then remove one foot from the pedal and place it on the frame of the trainer (when you first do this, stop pedaling so you don't go while and accidentally jam your foot into the spokes). For 30 seconds make the smoothest circle you can with one foot - no clunks, no surges, just smooth and fluid. Put that loose foot back in the pedal, make a few circles with both feet then pop out the other one and put it on the trainer frame and fine smooth circles with the other foot for 30 sec. Start with 10x 30 sec one footers w/ 60 sec normal spin between. To make this easier in the first few sessions put it in an bigger gear, as you get better make the gear smaller and the cadence higher so you you're challenge to keep it smooth with a faster (relative) spin. Again this too is neural muscular work; brain talking to body so be mindful and present and concentrate to expedite the improvement.

The goal here is to have your normal spin (let's call it 75 for argument) to bump up a bit over time and by increasing that number on that side of the equation your power will come up too (and, you might even run off the bike better as well).

Ian
Last edited by: downtowndj: Mar 25, 18 6:07
Quote Reply

Prev Next