Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubular Tire Pressure?
Quote | Reply
I have heard of so many different opinions on tubular tire pressure. Some people say 140psi, some say "dont go more than 120 psi, some max it out at 170 psi. Now i am really confused! Is there an "appropriate" tire pressure for tubulars?

I weigh 165 lbs and have been using Conti Competition 7x22 for the past 2 years. I have always inflated them at 125 psi.

Should I inflate more or less? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

thanx!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Tire Pressure? [GO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the most part people are arguing over maybe 20 seconds or so over an IM race so don't stress over it too much. The higher the pressure the lower the rolling resistance on a perfectly smooth surface. On a really rough road (cobbles) 80 psi might be ideal. 125 isn't a bad compromise and higher on bad roads can be much worse than lower.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not for sure on this, but I have seen it written and with some reaseach to back it up that the optimal tire pressure, all other things considered is around 120 psi - this is the pressure where rolling resistance is optimal. From my own opersonal experience this seems to be the tire pressure that feels the best - great rolling resistance, good comfort and traction.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
120 psi is pretty good. Although it doesn't talk about rolling resistance, here's a pretty good article by Zipp:

http://www.insidetri.com/train/bike/articles/1599.0.html
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Tire Pressure? [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
120 psi is pretty good. Although it doesn't talk about rolling resistance, here's a pretty good article by Zipp:

http://www.insidetri.com/...articles/1599.0.html

Thanx Jhendric, the article mainly addressed clincher wheels. I am refering to tubulars. Thanx anyway!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
120lbs or so even on tubs rated for greater than 180. I believe the lower pressure will result in fewer flats. I have yet to get a flat on tubs.

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can test it yourself using a simple rolldown test. I can explain this if you like...

125 is probably good, but the test will give you a clear answer...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Tire Pressure? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can test it yourself using a simple rolldown test. I can explain this if you like...

Can u please explain?

thanx!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are some tires that go up to 220 psi but any tire that's past 120psi is made to go on perfectly flat wood velodromes. In real world conditions, higher pressure will actually bounce you on your bike and you have to work harder to maintain your speed. 120psi is optimal to absorb road shock yet always maintain contact with the road. Just my 2 cents worth being a pro mechanic for 10 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubulars are slightly lighter, and are faster to change on the fly. But given comparable casing design, tubular vs clincher shouldn't impact optimal inflation pressure. That's a function of the road surface, rider weight, tire casing compliance, and the like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a slight hill. Make a chalk mark near the top. Then another chalk mark about 100m or so down the hill. You want to do this when there is little to no wind. Put your wheel on the first mark, and then just coast down the hill (no pedalling). Use a watch with a stopwatch function. Start the timer when you sttart and cross the first mark and stop when you cross the second mark. Do this at least 6 times per pressure setting. This will give you the pressure setting with the lowest rolling resistance. Test 120/125/130/135. That'd be my suggestion if you really want an accurate answer.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keep asking, you'll keep getting different answers. I say go as high as you can without sacrificing too much ride quality. I'm 150lbs and run my tubulars at about 120psi, but if there is a lot of cornering going on back down to about 100-105lbs. I'm not too nitpicky though as I really can't tell much difference in speed anywhere from 100-120 but after 130 they just get too hard for my tastes and beat me up to much.

I do one race out here in Hawaii (Haleiwa tri) where people are always pinch flatting on the uneven transitions in the concrete road panels. I usually make sure I'm running at least 120lbs here sometimes a bit higher to protect my rims. You're slamming into these little sqaure edges pretty fast and I want to make sure I don't dent the rim at all. Usually you can kinda mini bunny hop the bike or at least unweight each tire but sometimes they catch you by surprise. Granted running super high pressure on a bumpy road will knock your teeth out but it's worth it in this case.
Quote Reply