Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice? Training/Race
Quote | Reply
How would you structure your training day?

A fun problem to have..

Tomorrow's training schedule is:
Run | RPE4-6 for 90 minutes
Swim | 2300 Yards continuous

However, I'm running a 3.0 mile race with my 12 year old daughter at 11AM. I'll be pacing with her for the race, around 7:30 mile pace. About 1.5 minutes slower than my normal 3.0 mile race pace.

I was thinking about swimming in the AM, running with her at 11 and then an hour run in the afternoon.
Ideally I'd like to run 90 without a break but we are driving to the race and I wouldn't want her sitting around while I plod around Haverhill, MA after the race ends.

Curious for your input - thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Advice? Training/Race [alexanderzlenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be careful... swimming and then going that hard at 11:00 AM will almost certainly be detrimental to your upcoming week...

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Advice? Training/Race [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I'd be careful... swimming and then going that hard at 11:00 AM will almost certainly be detrimental to your upcoming week...

It doesn't sound like he will be going that hard "1.5 minutes slower than his 5k pace". I would personally swim in the AM, mostly because I will get leg cramps if I swim after a decent run. Moreover, I usually feel more like I have better workouts the days where i swim in the morning. It could serve as a good warmup to your running activities.

I don't know what the rest of your week looks like, but with regards to Cloy's comment, if you are now running the 5k portion of the 90 minutes at a 6-8 instead of 4-6, then just keep it in mind during the week. I don't think it will effect your other workouts dramatically, but again, I don't know what kind of shape you are in and what your workouts are.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice? Training/Race [toastygloveman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to both. I won't be going that hard with the run tomorrow, I was going to go much harder but daughter asked that I run with her.

As for the rest of the week, effort varies depending on the day.

Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Bike/Swim
Wednesday - Run
Thursday - Brick
Friday - Bike/Swim
Saturday - Bike/recovery run
Sunday - long run/swim

I'm in base shape... in the groove but still about 7-10 lbs away from race weight.

Tuesday and Wednesday are usually hard effort days, I may dial it back depending on how I feel after tomorrow.
Quote Reply