Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommend me some 28mm tyres for cobbles please
Quote | Reply
Heyup.

I've been conned into riding the Paris-Roubaix sportive in a few weeks and need to get myself and my bike prepared for the Pave. As well as whacking myself repeatedly on the arse to develop some new calluses, I believe that 28mm tyres might be worth having which I shall run at reduced pressure.

Is anybody able to recommend some decent 28mm clincher tyres that roll pretty well and won't burst open at the first sight of a wonky cobble? My usual go-to would be Conti GP4000s II.

Yes, they'll fit in my frame.

Cheers folks.
Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me some 28mm tyres for cobbles please [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rich. I'm currently running 28mm Panaracer Gravel Kings, they are more like a Pave tyre than true gravel. Them come-up true to size on a modern wider rim, unlike Contis that are generally fatter. Personally they've given me way more confidence this winter over the 28c Conti GPsII (measure 30mm on my wheels) that came with my Canyon. With it's file and bobbled tread profile, the GKs are great on muddy roads and greasy surfaces, and you can easily run them soft (I run 75-80psi at 73kg and could go lower). They also come in black or tan sidewalls; tan makes a nice change. Plus they're only £30 each!

ETA: enjoy P-R...I'm envious!

29 years and counting
Last edited by: Jorgan: Feb 8, 18 7:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for a mixed terrain epic in April - the Belgian Waffle Ride. With ~90 miles of tarmac and ~40 Miles of dirt, it called for some careful thought on wheel setup.

I'm going tubeless with Hutchinson Sectors which are available in 28mm. These have essentially a road-optimized center strip, with a softer bit of file tread on the sides and a vectran band for puncture protection.

I don't have them set up yet - so I can't speak to how well they all work, but I thought it looked like a good product for mixed terrain.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Heyup.

I've been conned into riding the Paris-Roubaix sportive in a few weeks and need to get myself and my bike prepared for the Pave. As well as whacking myself repeatedly on the arse to develop some new calluses, I believe that 28mm tyres might be worth having which I shall run at reduced pressure.

Is anybody able to recommend some decent 28mm clincher tyres that roll pretty well and won't burst open at the first sight of a wonky cobble? My usual go-to would be Conti GP4000s II.

Cheers folks.
Rich.

Tom A. seems to have had good luck with the Challenge Strada Bianca Pro. His listed info is for the 36c, but they do offer a 30c that might have potential for you depending on clearance.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6471664#p6471664
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered the Grand Prix 4-Season?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turbo Cottons come in a 28C now...I've ridden 26C Turbo Cottons in both the BWR and L'Eroica California before (latex tubes, of course) with zero issues ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria Corsa Control 700 x 25 tan sidewalls, replaced the Pave’. I’ve been riding the tubular version this winter with no complaints. In all honesty I’d get some Tubulars for it and wrap some good fat tubulars with lower pressure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Heyup.

Cheers folks.
Rich.
Why not ride a 25mm Conti GP 4000 especially if you have a wider rim (27 or 28 on a narrow rim)? I grew up in the flemish region where the cobbles of the Tour of Flanders are. I would also ride from my house and do several sectors of Paris Roubaix so I've done many rides on cobbles. Gravel rides and Paris Roubaix are two very different things in my humble opinion. Gravel tires are about grip on dirt and puncture resistance against small sharp particles. Roubaix and cobbles are about shock absorption and reducing the effects of continuous impact (and snakebites). At Roubaix you don't need to worry about grip if it's a dry day. If it's wet you'll need something that works great on wet roads.
Quote Reply