Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who has been sick this season?
Quote | Reply
Been sick as a dog it seems on and off since November. Multiple sinus infections, fever. This time, the worst bout it was in the chest.

I have been travelling - Multiple long haul flights in December and January between warm, cold and mild climates which isn’t helping. Wondering who else has had their training completely derailed like me due to sickness.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has been sick this season? [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not certain if I can say completely derailed since I expect to get sick every year considering I have 3 kids under 10, travel long haul and miss a fair bit of sleep due to work. That much being said I spent 4 days in bed and on the couch due to Influenza despite getting the flu shot. I think it could have been even worse without the shot. Had about 10 days with zero training. Was finally symptom free except for a mild dry cough 7 days before IM Dubai 70.3 Did a couple hours of recovery sessions in the week before the race. HR was still jacking especially during the jogs. Decided to lineup and use the race as some training to get back and to get the medal. Took it easy on the swim. Rode a moderate bike near the top of aerobic and then jogged the run. Got ridiculously slow in the last 6km of the run because I wanted to keep my HR down. Anyhow got across the line and got the medal. Took another 3 days off and now getting ready to ramp it up again for IMTX. I am 14 days symptom free and finally HR is where it should be during recovery sessions. In the past I would lose my mind when getting sick in regards to training but not as much these days (still can drive me nutty though). I am really hoping I can get through the next 11 weeks in one piece and not get knocked down again. Hopefully you are on the backside of all the sickness since we are past the midpoint of the winter. Especially if you are following a northern hemisphere training pattern. Good Luck and Get Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got flu early January, finally shook it few days ago. Generally don't get sinus infections, but did this time. This on heels of offseason mid nov thru holidays, well definitely screwed up racing plans. And I age up too.....drats. Will skip st. Anthony's race do more late summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hardly get sick. Till this yr! Now I've lost the last 4 out 6 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chest cold/flu making its way through my house now. I'm on the tail end of it after waking up sick last Thursday, wife and daughter in the thick of it now. Plenty of people at both of our offices as well as daughters school dealing with it too. Tough one!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a flu shot. Then got mild cold symptoms about a week later. Lasted just 3-4 days or so. Got back to training and then got sick again 2 weeks later. Which is now. (When will then be now? Soon!)

There are always warning signs on the garmin 24-36 hours before illness symptoms. I could not hold power on the bike on Sunday and it was obvious something was wrong by Monday evening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back to back colds. Been sick for 3 weeks. Girlfriend tested positive for flu.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been sick since December 25. Started with a cold, turned into a sinus infection. In mid January I was prescribed an antibiotic and we found the infection was resistant to it so now I am on something a bit stronger.

Hoping by this time 2 weeks from now to be 1 week free of it. We’ll see.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has been sick this season? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if I had a light version of the flu back in the first weeks of January with cold symptoms, continual urge to throw up and a light fever for a few days. It went on to more like cold and sinus symptoms for a few more weeks so I just did light spinning. I started back to threshold/sweet spot indoor training and a couple easy (cold) group rides, but things are not coming back like usual. But I have to admit that I am still playing a bit cautiously with the training load because of the flu epidemic in my area. People at work contracting the flu have been out for 2 weeks typically. And like a few here many coworkers, friends and family have had back to back illnesses.

.....not to mention that it seems to rain most weekends and it looks like it will be again for our Saturday and Sunday (100% probable they say). I train year round on the trainer for weekdays, but this is getting maddening doing indoor 7 days a week. Southern California Dreaming at the moment.
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Feb 8, 18 3:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got through Christmas unscathed, then pretty much my worst ever January for jumping from one virus to another. Again, two young kids inc one still at Kindergarten who'll bring all sorts home. Obviously I exacerbate it by not resting when I should!

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Who has been sick this season? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
horrible GI bugs, colds, definitely a bad winter for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has been sick this season? [Thebigturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was flying through base training through Christmas and into mid January, then this flu thing struck.

Dreadful. Went from expecting/hoping for great things at the next FTP test, to looking at a flight of stairs and wondering if I could make it up. Prescribed anti biotics, pretty much a week off work and 8 days of zero training. Back at work this week, started training again but just not firing. Any forays into Z3 and I attempt to heave a lung up. Lethargic, sacking off things and just not on top of personal, work and training matters. Everything is an effort and feels gruelling. It's been 2 weeks so far.

I've almost forgotten what feeling energetic and up for something feels like. Diet has deteriorated, and I've pulled out of the first time trial of the season on Sunday (one that I was looking forward to....Lucy Charles starts a couple of minutes behind, was looking forward to seeing if her TT position had been tidied up if she made the catch).
Quote Reply
Re: Who has been sick this season? [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly on the stairs thing. The feeling of laying there for about 4 hours and thinking OK I think I am feeling a bit better, thoughts turn to when you can start training again. Then you stand a take a few steps and almost pass out. Barely make the bathroom to pee, then back to the bed to repeat the process about a hundred more times!
Quote Reply
Re: Who has been sick this season? [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was feeling a little run down right before Christmas, we then spent 10 days in Paris and London. I started feeling bad on December 31, following the flight back on the 1st the wife and I were down for 13 days. I am just now getting my aerobic fitness back.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finishing up my 3rd bout of the flu since just before Christmas. I've never gotten the flu before this. wtf.
Quote Reply
Re: Who has been sick this season? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear ya on this. Round 4 for me, it starts to feel like no one believes I am sick anymore. Like I enjoy missing all of my bike training time, time in the gym. I’m barely able to make it up the stairs etc etc. Oh, and I had three weeks in December where I was feeling relatively healthy But I had a bad crash which ruined my training window.
Quote Reply