Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wahoo Kicr - Multiple Phone Connect Issues
Quote | Reply
I am about whits end with my Kicr.

Both my wife and I use the Kicr and use our iPhone's to to control it in erg mode. My phone connects no issues, my wife's phone however only connects 20% of the time. We have tried restarting the Kicr, turning off the Bluetooth on her phone, quitting the app, restarting the phone, and we still have the same issues.

I was thinking that my phone was "dominate" and went as far as quitting the app, turning off the Bluetooth, and turning off my phone. Same problem, her phone will not connect. Mind you her phone has no issues connecting with other Bluetooth devises.

Called Wahoo and they agreed that my phone "dominate," but could not give me and answer why her phone rarely connects. They pretty much told me, I need to buy a new iPad, tablet, or buy an independent phone to run the Wahoo program off of. To me that's pretty inexcusable for a $1,200 trainer and maybe an easy software fix???...

Anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?

Also, do the people that use the Hammer Direct Drive or the Tacx Neo/Flux have the same issues with there respective apps?

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kicr - Multiple Phone Connect Issues [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you disconnecting from the Kickr by turning Bluetooth off on your phone?

Edit: just re-read your post and saw you are doing that.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Feb 1, 18 5:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a NPE CABLE to connect via Ant+ for the second phone. It is cheaper than therapy or a new phone or a new trainer and works like a charm.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kicr - Multiple Phone Connect Issues [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
Get a NPE CABLE to connect via Ant+ for the second phone. It is cheaper than therapy or a new phone or a new trainer and works like a charm.

Never heard of this before. Looks interesting. Assuming its fairly reliable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DashLash wrote:
I am about whits end with my Kicr.

Both my wife and I use the Kicr and use our iPhone's to to control it in erg mode. My phone connects no issues, my wife's phone however only connects 20% of the time. We have tried restarting the Kicr, turning off the Bluetooth on her phone, quitting the app, restarting the phone, and we still have the same issues.

I was thinking that my phone was "dominate" and went as far as quitting the app, turning off the Bluetooth, and turning off my phone. Same problem, her phone will not connect. Mind you her phone has no issues connecting with other Bluetooth devises.

Called Wahoo and they agreed that my phone "dominate," but could not give me and answer why her phone rarely connects. They pretty much told me, I need to buy a new iPad, tablet, or buy an independent phone to run the Wahoo program off of. To me that's pretty inexcusable for a $1,200 trainer and maybe an easy software fix???...
Anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?
Also, do the people that use the Hammer Direct Drive or the Tacx Neo/Flux have the same issues with there respective apps?
TIA

Wahoo kickers are $hit for their power accuracy, they only "semi" work with external power meter\s I'm on my 3rd kickr... garbage for the price...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WRT The CABLE from North Pole Engineering, I have one and really like it... I occasionally have a hard time getting it turned on, but it is a product I would recommend. That said, I am not sure I would recommend it for connecting a kickr to two different devices. Before going that route, you will want to make sure that the Kickr can be controlled via the CABLE... I know it can broadcast the power from the kicker to the device, but i am not sure it can be used to control the kickr. If that is your purpose, check first. I use mine so my power meter can be connected to a phone and an iPad at the same time via bluetooth, but again that is just reading power.

What Kickr do you have? does it have the blue light indicating Bluetooth connectivity? If so, if it is flashing the Kickr is not connected to anything. if the light is solid it means it is connected to something. If it is connected to something, but not the phone you are trying to use then the issue is that bluetooth can only connect to one device at a time and you need to disconnect it from the other device.

This morning I could not connect my Kickr to my phone via bluetooth and discovered that was because my kickr was connected to my apple TV. I pulled up the wahoo app, searched for the kickr, unplugged the kickr to disconnect it from everything, plugged it back in, and my phone found it right away.

My question is, is there a possibility it is connected to something else like a computer (bike computer with Bluetooth, or a PC), an apple TV, or any other bluetooth device? If so that could be your culprit. If not, I would perform the following steps (although it seems like you have done something similar):

1. Turn the bluetooth off on both your phone and your wife's phone in the phone's settings
2. Unplug the Kickr
3. Plug the Kickr back in
4. If possible confirm the kickr is NOT connected to anything, which can be confirmed by the flashing blue LED if your kickr has that light. If the blue light turns solid after plugging it back in, that means something is connected and it is not either phone because both have bluetooth turned off.
5. Turn the bluetooth on on your wife's phone
6. try to connect to the kickr on the wahoo app.

Sorry if this is similar to what you have already done, I am just outlining the steps I would take in your shoes. As someone that has a power meter, a kickr, an Ant+/Bluetooth Bridge, a bike computer, an iPad, an iPhone, and an apple TV all fighting to connect to each other I have run into these issues, but as long as you are detailed about isolating devices they are pretty easy to resolve absent any bugs or issues on any device/hardware.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kicr - Multiple Phone Connect Issues [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
WRT The CABLE from North Pole Engineering, I have one and really like it... I occasionally have a hard time getting it turned on, but it is a product I would recommend. That said, I am not sure I would recommend it for connecting a kickr to two different devices. Before going that route, you will want to make sure that the Kickr can be controlled via the CABLE... I know it can broadcast the power from the kicker to the device, but i am not sure it can be used to control the kickr. If that is your purpose, check first. I use mine so my power meter can be connected to a phone and an iPad at the same time via bluetooth, but again that is just reading power.

What Kickr do you have? does it have the blue light indicating Bluetooth connectivity? If so, if it is flashing the Kickr is not connected to anything. if the light is solid it means it is connected to something. If it is connected to something, but not the phone you are trying to use then the issue is that bluetooth can only connect to one device at a time and you need to disconnect it from the other device.

It is the second generation of the Kicr (one logo on the belt wheel). As for the flashing light, its flashing with my wife's phone. Turn my phone on, it connects...

This morning I could not connect my Kickr to my phone via bluetooth and discovered that was because my kickr was connected to my apple TV. I pulled up the wahoo app, searched for the kickr, unplugged the kickr to disconnect it from everything, plugged it back in, and my phone found it right away.

My question is, is there a possibility it is connected to something else like a computer (bike computer with Bluetooth, or a PC), an apple TV, or any other bluetooth device? If so that could be your culprit. If not, I would perform the following steps (although it seems like you have done something similar):

Only Bluetooth devises connected are my wife's phone and mine. No AppleTV or the alike. There is a MacBook that we use for Zwift on occasion but we use an ANT+ stick for it as is so old there's no Bluetooth connectivity.

1. Turn the bluetooth off on both your phone and your wife's phone in the phone's settings
2. Unplug the Kickr
3. Plug the Kickr back in
4. If possible confirm the kickr is NOT connected to anything, which can be confirmed by the flashing blue LED if your kickr has that light. If the blue light turns solid after plugging it back in, that means something is connected and it is not either phone because both have bluetooth turned off.
5. Turn the bluetooth on on your wife's phone
6. try to connect to the kickr on the wahoo app.

Done this too many times to count :-/

Sorry if this is similar to what you have already done, I am just outlining the steps I would take in your shoes. As someone that has a power meter, a kickr, an Ant+/Bluetooth Bridge, a bike computer, an iPad, an iPhone, and an apple TV all fighting to connect to each other I have run into these issues, but as long as you are detailed about isolating devices they are pretty easy to resolve absent any bugs or issues on any device/hardware.

See bold...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DashLash wrote:
See bold...

Fair enough, just going through what I would try, but it sounds like you have ruled a lot of that out. I would also check Kickr firmware, and your wife's phone for updates (both OS and wahoo app) although I assume you have. It is hard to know if the issue is with the kickr or the phone. The kickr bluetooth connection works, you have demonstrated that with your phone. Your wife's bluetooth works, you have demonstrated that with other devices.

I assume you have been to these pages:
https://support.wahoofitness.com/...ooth-Troubleshooting

https://support.wahoofitness.com/...ooth-Troubleshooting
Quote Reply