Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM eTap BlipBox Location - Hack
Quote | Reply
After searching all over the interwebs, I was left completely stumped when trying to find a location for the eTap BlipBox on my Scott Plasma. I just didn't like it sitting in my cockpit. I know many people will think it's heresy to some to add wires to wireless shifting. But, I swaped to eTap for different reasons, and until SRAM comes up with a better shifting solution for TT bikes, it isn't really wireless.

If you fall into the camp that you can't find a good blipbox location, you may find this useful or have a solution of your own that you can post to share with other Slowtwitchers. Here's the quick overview of how I cleaned up my cockpit and saddle mounted my blipbox. If you want to try this yourself, feel free to let me know if you have any questions, want to hear my lessons learned, or (if there's interest) I'm happy to turn this into a quick "how-to."

Materials needed: A few inches of insulated wire, soldering iron, and K-edge saddle rail GoPro mount.
Skill Level: Low (after all I did it.)
Nerve Level: Medium/High - I really didn't want to scrap my brand new shifters, and I bet you don't either!
Final note: I didn't check, but I'm pretty sure this will void a warranty! Not sure to what extent. If this is a concern for you, do your research and make the decision that works best for you.

Here are the quick photos I snapped after finishing up:

Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Location - Hack [woodnat1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the blip box right between the tips of the aero bars. No clics, wires, or blips anywhere, just the box. Really don't need any shifters/buttons elsewhere on the base bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
woodnat1 wrote:
After searching all over the interwebs, I was left completely stumped when trying to find a location for the eTap BlipBox on my Scott Plasma. I just didn't like it sitting in my cockpit. I know many people will think it's heresy to some to add wires to wireless shifting. But, I swaped to eTap for different reasons, and until SRAM comes up with a better shifting solution for TT bikes, it isn't really wireless.

If you fall into the camp that you can't find a good blipbox location, you may find this useful or have a solution of your own that you can post to share with other Slowtwitchers. Here's the quick overview of how I cleaned up my cockpit and saddle mounted my blipbox. If you want to try this yourself, feel free to let me know if you have any questions, want to hear my lessons learned, or (if there's interest) I'm happy to turn this into a quick "how-to."

Materials needed: A few inches of insulated wire, soldering iron, and K-edge saddle rail GoPro mount.
Skill Level: Low (after all I did it.)
Nerve Level: Medium/High - I really didn't want to scrap my brand new shifters, and I bet you don't either!
Final note: I didn't check, but I'm pretty sure this will void a warranty! Not sure to what extent. If this is a concern for you, do your research and make the decision that works best for you.

Here are the quick photos I snapped after finishing up:

Awesome...totally interested in how you ran the wires, extended the wires, and the mount. I am looking for a home for the box on my shiv. Noodling ideas to put it where the bladder goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's an incredibly detailed Scott build manual put together by "NoPain." The image below was included in their build and I've marked the route I took my wire. The bike was designed to integrate Di2 really cleanly, so this wasn't too much of a stretch. The path I used is marked in green, and the areas I marked in magenta are where I plan to cut the wire are add a plug/jack connection. I'm only doing that because I travel to races a bit and I take my seat off when I do.

One nice thing about this bike (and probably most other TT frames?) is that once you get through the bars and into the frame, there's loads of space. I could have easily placed the blipbox into the frame. I tested it and had no issues with the wireless transmission, but I set this up so that I wouldn't have to disassemble my bike when my blipbox battery undoubtedly dies on race day. But, it's definitely an option.

For the splice, the shifter wires are just about the thinnest wires I've ever worked with. Stripping those wires was the unnerving part for me, but I bet someone with more experience or better tools would breeze right through it. For the wire, I just decided to use insulated speaker wire. No reason other than that's what I had around the house and I could make it any length I wanted. For the connections, I soldered everything. Probably not necessary, but it's pretty inaccessible once it runs through the frame, so I wanted to be safe. I also used heat-shrink tubing with an adhesive lining on the inside for each individual wire and then a third to contain them both (again, probably overkill).

The last decision I went with was that I used the direct mount screw to attach the blipbox to the gopro saddle mount. There are many options to get a Garmin quarter-turn mount on your saddle or seat. This just did what I was looking for. It got it out of the way of my saddle bag, and I felt more comfortable with the bolt, since I probably wouldn't notice if it popped off a garmin mount and was just hanging by its wires.

That's the general overview. I've got several pictures of the process. PM me if you think that would be helpful to picture things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clever build and a sweet ride! How do you like the 858?
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Location - Hack [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

The 858s were a Christmas present from my wife and I haven't gotten outside on them yet. But, I can't imagine they won't cut my splits in half. Their design was inspired by nature!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello woodnat1 and All,

Very nice all around.

I taped the BlipBox to the end (on top) of the right hand aero bar on the P5.

It is a bit difficult to see in this pic. When riding my hand wraps over it.

No wires needed ......

I am planning on buying an extra BlipBox and dismantling it to make it much smaller and tape it to my hand or attach it to a glove finger and actuate the switch buttons with my thumb.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Location - Hack [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! You're clearly a bit further along with this than me. An option to "beta test" your glove mounted idea could be to mount the blipbox to your glove and snip the blip wires. Run the red wire to a contact on your thumb and run the black to a contact on your index finger. Then it's as simple as touching your fingers together.

I mostly do TTs and ALWAYS wear a long sleeve skinsuit. That means I'd be able to tuck the blipbox into my sleeve, rather than the back of the glove (keeping it out of the wind). Definitely an interesting project nealhe!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello woodnat1 and All,

Thanks for that bit of info about the wires ..... I had not traced the wires .... I just use the buttons on the BlipBox itself and was thinking along the lines of how to shrink the BlipBox and use it like a TV tuner .... but your idea could be a quicker solution .... and as you say .... hide the BlipBox on my body ... probably the chest area ..... and run a wire down the sleve.

Although I am liking having no blips .... just the BlipBox itself for shifting.

Let's check back in a while .... I have some other stuff I have to do before I can work on that again.

I see a BlipBox for $330 on eBay .... kinda pricey to perhaps destroy while tinkering with it ..... maybe I can find one that is already broken.

I would like to have it shrunk down to just that central top portion with the - Front Derailleur + switches

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I worry about how many times this will handle a good urine soaking. The water it seems to hold up well to. Urine? I don't know.

Do you have a plug at the front? How do you take the extensions/base blips off when traveling?

The simplicity of a front mounted is great if you can find a place to put it.

Other than that, the installation is beautiful.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Location - Hack [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha. I had to read that three times before I understood the urine predicament. I don't/won't be doing any longer distance Tri's on this. It's mostly TT's for me (20-50ish minutes). It is mounted pretty far back through, so I think #2's your problem. ...and I'd call that a problem for a bunch of reasons, but I definitely wouldn't want it on my etap blipbox! (I doubt the shop would be willing to make that call to SRAM)

In the diagram I posted, the "x's" marked in magenta are where I'll wind up installing plug/jack connections. I'm thinking exactly what you are though. One plug in the aero bars (I'd cut that first wire a little long so that you can make the plug connection outside the aero bars, but then shove it into the extensions for riding to keep it out of the rain/sweat). I'd also suggest a plug/jack connection at the seat/top tube junction if, like me, you have to remove your seat for traveling. I was going to do that in this build, but wanted to have some time getting comfortable with this setup, see how it holds up, or if there are any issues before adding any more "weak-spots"/connection points.

Of course, that's what will (hopefully) work for me. I bet there are some other great mods out there and I'm really enjoying hearing everyone's ideas and suggestions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may not work for TTs if you don't have the Scott top tube storage, but I snaked my blip and click wires out the back of the bar and drilled a hole in the front of the top tube storage. My blip box lives in that top tube storage.

Quote | Reply
seems like you're basically begging a friend to come along and sneakily offer some assistance changing gears
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap BlipBox Location - Hack [waitebe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did exactly this with a Specialized Remora bento box on my CD0.1. Looks neat and works like a dream.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had really good luck with hiding my blipbox in the top tube storage that came on my Scott. I ran my cables through the bar and stem and then fished them out of the "top cap." I drilled a hole in the front of the top tube box and then stowed everything in the front of it where I wasn't going to be able to put nutrition anyway.

I upgraded to the Clics, which was a huge plus. Made the whole setup so much cleaner.

I specifically went to eTap because I did NOT want to mess with fishing wires through this frame. Been there, done that. I'm happy to be done after the bar.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really interested in this, but the pictures can't be seen anymore. Do you still have them? Would you care to re-post them? Thanks a million.
Quote Reply