Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2015 S-Works Shiv Race Wheel Fit Issues
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased an 2015 S-Works Shiv w/Di2 from my LBS. Even though it was s a 2015 model it was still brand-new.

Since the day I purchased the bike I've intended to put race wheels on it which I discussed with my LBS. To that end, I purchased a set of Reynolds' Aero 90s but neither myself nor my LBS could adjust the break calipers wide enough to accommodate the wheel. The Reynolds Aero 90s are specced at 26.2mm wide.

I contacted Specialized and they noted the bike was designed around a 23mm wheel width and at best the brake calipers could be adjusted to to accommodate a 24.5mm or possibly a 25mm wheel.

That said I've seen on Slowtitch as well as on pinterest, google images, etc. Shiv after Shiv with Zipp 808s which measure in at 27.5mm according to Zipp.com which are even wider than the Reynolds' Wheels and I am wondering if anyone has this setup and can comment on what adjustments/modifications were made to allow the wheel to fit.
Last edited by: Merideus: Jan 31, 18 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 S-Works Shiv Race Wheel Fit Issues [Merideus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shave the brake pads.
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 S-Works Shiv Race Wheel Fit Issues [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would seem as though taking 2mm to 3mm off of each pad would significantly effect braking performance or at minimum the life of the brake pads wouldn’t it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does not affect braking performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2015 sworks shiv and a 2012 shiv expert. I’ve used both 404s and 808s on both bikes without any problems.

You could shave the pads, which would not affect, braking performance. Maybe look into a different brake like the tri rig.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you use brakes on a tri bike?

Just joking - as others have said shave the pads - it will have zero negative impact on braking performance, you will go through pads more quickly though. enjoy the new ride.
Quote Reply