Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any Update on Flo's Gravel Rims/Wheels?
Quote | Reply
I recall they said they were looking at the gravel market about 6-9 months ago but I haven't heard anything since. Did I miss anything? I saw an Exploro over the weekend and looked at the down tube. It's certainly wide. That got me thinking that maybe some of those 27.5x2.1 slicks people are running could be made somewhat aero if paired up to the right rim shape.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Update on Flo's Gravel Rims/Wheels? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I was looking for an all around 650b rim for the Exploro, I'd probably go with a 27mm internal width rim. That way you could run a good range of slicks or MTB tires. I suppose that going with a 40mm internal width rim might shape a 2.1" slick a bit better in terms of aero properties, but it would also be a lot heavier system. In addition to that, it becomes a 1 trick pony as you probably don't want to mount a 2.1" mountain bike tire with knobs on that wide of a rim as the edge knobs will be out of place. You also don't want to run a 35-38 mm slick on that type of rim (if you wanted to ride more road) as the tire would be too narrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Update on Flo's Gravel Rims/Wheels? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I gathered from their teaser video (which was right before they started to talk about casing tension) was that they were developing a rim for ~40mm slicks but perhaps that was too much inference on my part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
35-40mm internal width 650b rims already exist. They're meant for 27.5 plus bikes and 2.6-2.8" knob tires. So yes, a 40-50mm slick would likely wrap around that rim nicely, but if all you have is the Exploro, that's basically the only tire you can run on that rim to be ideal given the frame clearances.

If you plan to have one wheelset per type of tire you want to run, which while pricey, alleviates the need to deal with the tubeless setup and removal, then I suppose that's one way to go.
Last edited by: Jason N: Jan 29, 18 17:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those rims exist but they don't have the accompanying fairing/structure shape or depth in order to get airflow to reattach to the rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. It seems like you are looking for a very specific rim, for a very specific purpose. Wasn't sure if you had other options in mind for that one wheelset as the Exploro by nature is meant to be very versatile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My view on a bike like the Exploro is that it's best used with multiple wheel sets. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I certainly hope the wheel wouldn't have a fairing.
I thought about getting a pair of HED Jet 4s for my gravel bike, but then thought about all the rocks and junk that would fly around the wheels. Could very easily shred the fairing open.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I recall they said they were looking at the gravel market about 6-9 months ago but I haven't heard anything since. Did I miss anything? I saw an Exploro over the weekend and looked at the down tube. It's certainly wide. That got me thinking that maybe some of those 27.5x2.1 slicks people are running could be made somewhat aero if paired up to the right rim shape.

We are still in the R&D phase of the project. Things are taking a little longer than planned but we are getting closer. We are doing a lot of work in an attempt to understand the relationship between rim width, tire pressure, casing tension, Crr etc. Those relationships should lead to our next be step in wheel tech.

Thanks for the patience.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Any Update on Flo's Gravel Rims/Wheels? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
I thought about getting a pair of HED Jet 4s for my gravel bike, but then thought about all the rocks and junk that would fly around the wheels. Could very easily shred the fairing open.

Bah. Carbon is pretty durable.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Update on Flo's Gravel Rims/Wheels? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
doublea334 wrote:

Carbon? Yes. But a carbon fairing? Not so much.

The HED Jet fairing is super flimsie.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Any Update on Flo's Gravel Rims/Wheels? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

We are still in the R&D phase of the project. Things are taking a little longer than planned but we are getting closer. We are doing a lot of work in an attempt to understand the relationship between rim width, tire pressure, casing tension, Crr etc. Those relationships should lead to our next be step in wheel tech.

Thanks for the patience.

Thanks for chiming in. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with and I'm very interested to see the results of your casing tension study.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Update on Flo's Gravel Rims/Wheels? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
doublea334 wrote:

Carbon? Yes. But a carbon fairing? Not so much.

The HED Jet fairing is super flimsie.

I always thought the HED fairings were a bit flimsy, but other brands, not so much.

Anyways, a fairing that just has holes where the spokes pass through is USELESS for gravel as the fairings would fill with tiny rocks and dust. You have to have a fairing that supports the spoke nipples.
Quote Reply