Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

63cm Bike Suggestions
Quote | Reply
I'm not an avid cyclist, I prefer running :) I completed my first triathlon last November on a really old (2003) Felt 45. I am going to do the same race again this year with the hopes of massive improvement on my time, mostly on my bike. I know training is #1, but i would like the added benefits of a better bike without breaking the bank. With that being said, I have been searching for a 63CM TT/Tri bike online and I have had little luck. Besides these forums, craigslist and ebay...does anybody know of a good place to search for a larger bike?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 63cm Bike Suggestions [snickers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how tall you are and what reach and stack you’re looking for in a 63 but it would be worth for you to try a Cervelo. The biggest they make is 61 which is what my P2 is. I’m almost 6’6” and it fits well. In fact I could probably squeeze in on a 58. I do have an aggressive position. I have an R3 from them and that’s a 58. I needed a 140 cm stem and a zero offset seatpost for that fit.

I don’t know of any brands that have >61 in TT frames but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.
Last edited by: bigredrude: Jan 28, 18 13:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you think that you need a 63cm frame?
Quote Reply
Re: 63cm Bike Suggestions [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before you read on, I'd like to emphasize that I am a rookie when it comes to cycling. Try to remember that when you read through my thought process :)

I'm 6'4" with a 36.5" inseam.

I'm guessing I'm not an aggressive rider. On my current bike, I had it fitted when i decided to do the Ironman. They ended up putting on a neck extension to bring my upper body up a little since my seat post was so high. Not only does it look ridiculous, I feel i lose a bit of the aerodynamic properties when I'm down on the aero bars. It is pretty comfortable though :) That is why I was thinking i needed at least a 63cm frame again.

I did find a 61cm Cervelo p3c for sale about 3 hours from me. I had given up on that thinking it was going to be too small. Maybe I'll go check it out and give it a test ride. Thanks for the info!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered getting a bike fit before buying a bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'7" with 38" inseam, and 6'9" wingspan. Ride 61 cm Cannondale Slice.
Seriously great value for the money.
Getting a proper fit is always better, but also really don't get hung up on a 63 size.

NO
Quote Reply
Re: 63cm Bike Suggestions [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was under the assumption that getting my current ride fitted was good enough. I guess i was wrong :) I'll go get fitted this week. If a 61cm bike works...I will have many more options! Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you go to a proper fitter.
Quote Reply
Re: 63cm Bike Suggestions [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any bike fitter recommendations in the St. Louis area?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
I'm 6'7" with 38" inseam, and 6'9" wingspan. Ride 61 cm Cannondale Slice.
Seriously great value for the money.
Getting a proper fit is always better, but also really don't get hung up on a 63 size.

I’m 6’7” ride a Shiv XL.
Quote Reply
Re: 63cm Bike Suggestions [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That might very well be my next frame, I think I can make that work with the correct headset.
Quite a bit pricier though than a Slice.

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is the Alabama Viking from?
Asking as I’m a Dane in the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'6" - agree with other posts. If you buy the largest size, and jack the seatpost up, you will fit on the largest size.

there is no magic XXL tri bike, unless you find a used Guru on ebay.

Make sure you get extensions long enough for your arms. the seat is easy, but until I got extra long extensions I was not truly comfortable. Oh, and those split nose seats are amazing. #ISM.

good luck, let us know what you end up buying.
Quote Reply
Re: 63cm Bike Suggestions [Slick_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ISM Prologue, yes! Saddle back as far as it can go.
And Profile T4+, with a 120 mm 6 degree stem (I ride pretty aggressive).
Alternatively, you can get more relaxed by going 130mm 17 or 20 degree stem.
I believe you're also saving about 1/2" if you go Speedplay pedals, which can be a huge help in getting the right position

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the other pointed out - I 6'1", 35" inseam and ride a 58cm Cervelo P3 with powertap p1 that are pretty high stack, but probably could go down a size to 56. I'd image that their 61cm would give you lots and lots of fitting options, but a 58cm frame might work too depending on your flexibility.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure of the actual size of this, but maybe take a look at:

https://www.facebook.com/...ts/10156614888199879

I would also think a 61cm p2 or the largest slice would fit you, but the slice may be hard to come by right now. Big Shark carries both brands as well as others.

Fit is a tough suggestion as I haven’t really ever been fit professionally, but I would take a peak at big shark’s power up/ fitting studio. Maple wood is also a bigger name in fitting,but have have seen some interesting tribike setups from there. In the end that will come down to what you are comfortable with.
Last edited by: H2Owings: Jan 29, 18 6:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snickers wrote:
Before you read on, I'd like to emphasize that I am a rookie when it comes to cycling. Try to remember that when you read through my thought process :)

I'm 6'4" with a 36.5" inseam.

I'm 6'4" with a 38" inseam and fit on a 61 cm Cervelo P2 and a Trek SC XL. I'll echo the other responses about fit, but those frames may give you a reference.

Good Luck.

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Re: 63cm Bike Suggestions [TriScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks All! I went up and got the rig that H2Owings found. I had to get a new head unit to bring up the handlebars a tad. The original set up was way too aggressive for my tastes. This feels heads and tails better than my old bike and it looks bada$$ :) Thanks again for everyone's advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Head unit?
Quote Reply
Re: 63cm Bike Suggestions [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume the stem.

@snickers...I get you are tall and need the rise in addition to the head tube, but that looks what most tri bike being fit there look like. I know it wouldn’t have had electronic shifting, but did you look at a p2 61cm. You might have been able to avoid such a drastic rise in the stem. But if you are happy that is all that matters and can slowly work in bringing that front end down a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is very generic advice. Obviously people are different. Some are more able to tolerate an aggressive position.

Anyway, for a road bike at your height, I would look for a headtube measurement in the 200 to 230mm range. Spacers and stems angles can adjust your level from there. Don't go by the seattube height as modern bikes all have sloping top tubes and the number will always appear smaller than you think.
Quote Reply