Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano Power Meter a fail?
Quote | Reply
http://www.cyclingnews.com/...-power-meter-review/

I just saw the review on Cycling news. It looks like it does total (L/R) power just fine, but consistently screws up individual leg power. Lots of wires and other gimics to connect the sides. Maybe a wider pedal stance or reduced heel clearance. For 1500$ they look like an over-complicated solution that doesn't really add anything/much to what already exists on the market.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Power Meter a fail? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The concept of powermeters is pretty simple. The implementation of them is harder. Supporting them in the field is harder still. Doing so in a consistent, affordable manner over products already available and in the market is very difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

I just saw the review on Cycling news. It looks like it does total (L/R) power just fine, but consistently screws up individual leg power. Lots of wires and other gimics to connect the sides. Maybe a wider pedal stance or reduced heel clearance. For 1500$ they look like an over-complicated solution that doesn't really add anything/much to what already exists on the market.

I wouldn't bet against Shimano, they definitely do great work! But like anything, they are so many years behind and it is hard to get it right the first time. Not sure why jump one would take the Shimano train for power when there are so many other viable options that are proven, effective, and inexpensive.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Power Meter a fail? [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
The concept of powermeters is pretty simple. The implementation of them is harder. Supporting them in the field is harder still. Doing so in a consistent, affordable manner over products already available and in the market is very difficult.

It certainly makes me appreciate the simplicity of my PowerTap hub. Not much in the way of bells and whistles,but once it is laced into a wheel it only needs the occasional battery replacement and it is consistent as all get out. The fact I picked up a new SL+ for 200$ doesn't hurt either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd wait for the DCR review before passing judgment on how well it works.

Are there cheaper/more proven options? Absolutely.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Power Meter a fail? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

I wouldn't bet against Shimano, they definitely do great work! But like anything, they are so many years behind and it is hard to get it right the first time. Not sure why jump one would take the Shimano train for power when there are so many other viable options that are proven, effective, and inexpensive.

You answered your own question! :)
The PM could be a piece of junk, but that would be unusual for Shimano IMHO.
Quote Reply