Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Creaking PF30 Bottom Brackets for Shimano - Non Ceramic options?
Quote | Reply
I have a Specialized that is a PF30 bottom bracket and I'm using Shimano Cranks....so an adapter is required.
It's got a creaking problem...take it apart and clean it now about once a month which solves it for a few weeks and then starts creaking again (It's starting to drive me bonkers)! Thought I would try a replacement BB like the Kogel which does not require adapters which I am hoping might work a bit better. Problem is I'm not sold on ceramic bearings especially at $190.00.....did not see they have an option for steel bearings.

Question I have is does anyone make a less expensive steel bearing PF30-24 bottom bracket? Single piece where no adapters are needed?

Thanks

https://www.kogel.cc/...for-shimano-cranks-1

Last edited by: MKirk: Jan 26, 18 8:11
Quote Reply
Re: Creaking PF30 Bottom Brackets for Shimano - Non Ceramic options? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Creaking PF30 Bottom Brackets for Shimano - Non Ceramic options? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People say even a PF crank in PF bearings can creak. I've got my first PF bike to assemble this spring and from what I'm reading people use a compound like loctite 609 to keeping everything tight. It might be worth doing a bit of research on. Maybe eve give it one more go with a filling compound? You must have it down to a fine art by now.
Quote Reply
Re: Creaking PF30 Bottom Brackets for Shimano - Non Ceramic options? [thorofareken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. Get the angular contact bearings. These Wheels Mfg. bottom brackets are worth triple their cost in saved headaches.
Quote Reply
Re: Creaking PF30 Bottom Brackets for Shimano - Non Ceramic options? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:

This. Get the angular contact bearings. These Wheels Mfg. bottom brackets are worth triple their cost in saved headaches.

Agreed. I've had this setup in my bike for two years with no issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Creaking PF30 Bottom Brackets for Shimano - Non Ceramic options? [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s.gentz wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

BINGO! Exactly what I was looking for and will order the angular BB right away!
Appreciated!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
s.gentz wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

BINGO! Exactly what I was looking for and will order the angular BB right away!
Appreciated!

Most of these aluminum shelled, screw together BB's work similarly. If you have a frame with a PF30 bore that is slightly oversized it is possible that these still won't clamp tight enough to overcome the loose bore. There are two additional conversion BB options that help with this issue:

Praxis conversion BB - which has an expanding collett fit on one side;

Token BB - which uses a thread-together aluminum shell with composite bushings where the shells press into the PF30 frame.
Quote Reply