Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BikeFlight - which bike case to use
Quote | Reply
I travel to races multiple times a year, so I have amasses a few different cases: Ruster Armored Hen, Biknd Helium, and a sturdy bike specific cardboard box, but none are hardshell case. For races this year, I am flying a lot on United so I am dreading paying the $150 fee for each way. I decided that I will give BikeFlight a try - ship to/pick up from hotel.

So how's your experience with BikeFlight (FedEx)?

Also, of the cases I have, which one would be best suited for use with BikeFlight? I would like to use the Biknd because it's smaller and simpler to pack, but because it's soft case (with air bladders), I am not sure if it will service FedEx well (but probably better than airline baggage handing). The sturdy cardboard box is very sturdy but really big and unwieldy.

So anything you can share will be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: BikeFlight - which bike case to use [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used FedX ground on my own and through bikeflights over the past few years. Have used cardboard boxes, soft cases, and hard cases. FedX handling is brutal.....highly recommend not using a cardboard box and only using a hardcase. Bikeflights is great to use....offers good pricing....and settled quickly on my insurance claim for damage to my P5 the one and only time I tried using the Scicon Aerotech soft case. My Scicon Evolution hardcase protected my bike but after about 13-14 shipments became unusable because of broken wheels and locks caused by FedX ground handling. The home to hotel shipping is very convenient and bikeflights costs are a lot cheaper than airlines. Not really familiar with the Biknd but if you use, highly recommend using lots of bubble wrap and padding. I just bought the Premier Tactical hardcase and will use for the first time in a couple months using bikeflights for shipping from Philly to Miami.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never thought about throwing a FedEx sticker on a typical soft-shell case. Anyone else tried that w/ luck?

I used BikeFlights last year for one event and would use them again - far cheaper than my own FedEx rates.
Quote Reply
Re: BikeFlight - which bike case to use [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ship my armored Hen House and wheel case all the time with bikeflights. FedEx doesn't bat an eye, they have a special label backing that wraps around the handles.

Prices are pretty reasonable, no more/less than any other bike shipping.

I am considering the Buxum Box as well for travel which seems easier than the Hen House packing, but absolutely no complaints with the Hen House, Bikeflights, and Fedex.
Quote Reply
Re: BikeFlight - which bike case to use [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used bikeflights many times. I've never found better rates. I've used both cardboard boxes from my local bike shop and also a trico bike case that I picked up for cheap. Never had a problem, but I've only shipped 5 or 6 times.

For what it's worth, I got an Orucase at the beginning of last year and use it whenever I fly with my road bike. It requires more disassembly (like the Ruster), and I'd never attempt it with my TT bike. But, I've never been dinged for the oversized/bike fee. I throw my wheels in a hard case when I fly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nothing positive to add ....but there does seem to be something odd about United being a sponsor of USA Cycling and being a carrier with a non-cyclist friendly shipping policy
Quote Reply
Re: BikeFlight - which bike case to use [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
nothing positive to add ....but there does seem to be something odd about United being a sponsor of USA Cycling and being a carrier with a non-cyclist friendly shipping policy

Yeah, that one is stupid. United has about the worst bike policy. It'd be nice if USAC members got a bike fee waiver or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I shipped from East to West US several times last year with BikeFlights/FedEx. They are tough on cases. I have been using a CratWorks corrugated plastic case. The bike has been fine but the case is beat up. I think having straps makes things worse. Workers can grab the straps and sling or drag. My buddy used a bigger Thule case, which is probably more protection, but he paid about double my shipping since it was over sized.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply