Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anybody dealt with peroneal nerve pain in lower leg?
Quote | Reply

A couple of weeks back, I came down with some pain in my lower leg (hard to locate it exactly, but was in the upper one third of the shin) that I was afraid might be a stress fracture. I went to the doc, had x-rays and an MRI done, which revealed no fracture whatsoever. My doctor (an orthopedist) believes I am aggravating the common peroneal nerve, but isn't quite sure how I'm doing it. I rested an entire week and the pain did subside, and I got a solid 10 days of training in with no pain after that. But then it suddenly came back. I was shown a couple of stretches that I can do to hopefully relieve any pressure on the nerve, and sometimes they succeed for a while (like minutes up to an hour or two) but then the pain comes right back. NSAIDs don't seem to have any effect on it, by the way.

Has anyone here had a similar diagnosis, and if so, were you able to manage it or come up with a plan to get over it that worked?
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody dealt with peroneal nerve pain in lower leg? [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you cycle at all? I had the same issue you described and my cycling fit was corrected in addition to strengthening hips.
Often the pain is at the end of the kinetic chain, seek out the root cause, IT band, Sciaticca, piriformis, etc.
Good luck, keep us posted
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody dealt with peroneal nerve pain in lower leg? [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I do cycle. I was well on my way preparing for Ironman Texas when this cropped up. I have a lot of confidence in my bike fit, and cycling tends to be the easiest of the three disciplines for me, but I'm hesitant to leave any stone uncovered trying to get past this issue. Sciatica also crossed my mind, and I'm surprised my doctor didn't suggest it. Not being familiar with it, is it possible for sciatica to be a cause when the pain is felt that far away from the lower back? None of my pain is felt anywhere higher than the top of the fibula.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody dealt with peroneal nerve pain in lower leg? [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I've had peroneal nerve pain in both legs but mainly in my left. It first showed up years ago when I was riding my trainer a lot. I think it was caused by my position on my bike and riding the trainer. It was very debilitating. My ankle and foot wouldn't function properly. I would have a hard time turning my foot towards the outside of my body when I was having the nerve pain.

For me it's related to my lower back, my mechanics and the tightness in my hips. Loosening up my hips, lower back area and the nerve stretches I got from PT helped. I decided not to change my position on my bike because I didn't have these issues when I was riding outside. I just don't ride my trainer much anymore. I hope this helps. Good luck!
Last edited by: MikeyG: Jan 24, 18 10:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robegan99 wrote:
Yes, I do cycle. I was well on my way preparing for Ironman Texas when this cropped up. I have a lot of confidence in my bike fit, and cycling tends to be the easiest of the three disciplines for me, but I'm hesitant to leave any stone uncovered trying to get past this issue. Sciatica also crossed my mind, and I'm surprised my doctor didn't suggest it. Not being familiar with it, is it possible for sciatica to be a cause when the pain is felt that far away from the lower back? None of my pain is felt anywhere higher than the top of the fibula.

Anything is possible, some people experience tingling sensation in their feet due to back problems. I systematically reevaluated my fit, got it professionally done with a Retul 3D fit. Found that my float on my pedals was allowing my left foot to turn outwards on every pedal irritating the nerve below the knee. I also changed shoes for better arch support and the problem when the away.
I spent 18 months chasing this running injury because it was pain I felt most whilst running, yet it was cycling there I spent the most time aggravating it.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar to a previous poster, it took me about 18 months to overcome peroneal pain near the upper attach point, which was worse on my right side. I suspect what triggered it initially were some one-leg pedaling drills on an old spinervals dvd. It affected me both running and cycling. I dialed back volume of both for an extended period, and what helped me to overcome it in conjunction with the reduced training volume was regular massage of that upper tendon. Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to consider, which may seems counterintuitive, but helped me immensely with similar problems, is some strength training. I had all sorts of lower leg issues going on, and had just about decided to quit running and tris, and focus on lifting to give the wife the jacked hubby she always wanted. But after a few weeks of some lunges, deadlifts, and other compound leg exercises, all of a sudden many chronic leg injuries that had been plaguing me for years seemed to evaporate. I don't know if it was nerve activation, neuromuscular coordination, or just the raw strength increase that's done it, but adding a couple of mid-intensity full body strength training workouts per week has kept me injury free and able to train more consistently than I have in years. Maybe worth giving that a try for a few weeks to see if it has an effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Developed peroneal pain due to muscle imbalances. What seems to have helped me the most are glute strengthening and especially adductor strengthening exercises. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could definitely be further up the chain all the way to the nerve root in the back even though you have no back pain, or it could be down at the extremity. As others mentioned check the entire chain!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find an Active Release Technique provider that does long that nerve release and lower extremity work in your area and you should be able to get that cleaned up.

http://activerelease.com/find-a-provider.asp

Zev

"No matter how hard you train, Somebody will train harder. No matter how hard you run, Somebody will run harder. No matter how hard you want it, Somebody will want it more, I am Somebody"~ST Post
Quote Reply